Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The HH stingrays are REALLY sweet.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pickles, Jan 8, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I just got back from the local guitar center where I spent a few moments with a black HH ray. It was set up pretty poorly, but I was able to get a good impression of what the pickups sound like ... and the answer is they sound GREAT!!!

A lot of the time on a two pickup bass you'll love one pickup blend or another, but on the HH I though every one of the 5 positions had a unique and compelling sound. The neck pickup soloed sounds a bit like my Guild B-302's neck pickup, but even fatter and more coherant. Its big and round and not too wooly. I was palm muting some jazz lines and it was killin. The bridge pickup sounds like a Ray. The combinations actually yielded some of the best tones. Position 4 was amazing.

There is enough finger room to slap (for me anyway).

I also really liked the beveled edges on the pickups, and the usual great MM build quality.

Just another vote about how impressive these basses are. Now everone start buying these things so I can snap them up on the used market when your car breaks down and you and have to sell. :ninja:

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I ordered a stingray 5. Cant wait. I ordered one without even playing a HH ;) I just know that EBMM makes great stuff.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You're going to love it, they did a great job .... and now theres lots of places to rest your thumb!

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    hey pickles,

was that in oxnard? damn, and i was gonna go there today too but didn't get around to it. tomorrow fo' sho'! :D

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I can barely contain my excitement whilst waiting for mine!
    Black Cherryburst/blk pg/maple neck/matched hs.

C'mon April! :bassist:

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 yay april

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    yeah. i'll ultimatley wait for a Sterling before I pull the trigger. Andele MM! Andele! :hyper:

8. I can't wait for them to come out to Australia!

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'ma gonna have to play one, but that's probably going to add to my GAS. I already want a Geddy Lee Jazz, CIJ '62 Fretless Reissue, White fretless Stingray, Epi Jack Casady and something with a Darkstar in it.

And a Harley Sportster.

10. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    When I get to play a HH sterling, all bets are off. If it's as good as it seems on paper, it might just replace my main player of the past 3 years. That's a big statement to make for me.

11. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Yup. Take an allen wrench with you so you can lower the action on the D and G strings :D

12. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The HH on a fretless would probably be pretty amazing. :cool:

13. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

I'm sure the brilliant techs at GC will be able to help me out. :rolleyes: :)

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    That sounds like a sweet color sceme. So wait...Is April when they officially hit the stores, or when custom orders will be ready??

This is definitely going to be the next bass I buy.

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    A special order normally takes 3 to 4 days for EBMM to fill. At least that's their story. Guys who ordered those sweet 2pup buttercream MMs from our fellow TBer Bovinehost last August started getting them in December. But those LEs were worth every second.

16. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think you mean '30 to 4 months'. Generally speaking, the bass isn't built until you order it. Or, more accurately, until the dealer orders it.

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I wrote an email to Ernie Ball asking them this very question...the response I got was "3 months."

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I played THEE bass Pickles spoke of today and, while the set up was less than bitchen', the bass sounded amazing. Positions 3 and 4 were my faves. Clean, well pronounced, and articulate with very balanced and tones. There is nothing subdued about the tones. They are very up front and powerful, with all the MM wallop you could ever want. I think we have a winna'! I'm just waiting for the Sterlings. I won't be able to resist.

19. Any pics of HH Rays or Sterlings yet? I tried TB search and Google, but couldn´t find anything. Is their appearance exactly similar to the 1-pup versions?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There are some HH ray pics at the Ernie Ball forum. If i knew exactly where they were id get them but www.ernieball.com/forums if you have the time, do a search. Their apperence is the same.