1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the hieght you wear your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 12, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    im sure that everyone on here wears their basses at different hieghts on their bodies, from paul mccartney high, to krist novoselic low haha.it seems to be a diverse thing. honestly i wear mine at my knees! im not even that tall and i still find it playable.so now that i shared,do tell. how low/high do you wear your bass????!

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I wear about stomach hight I suppose... It depends on the time of playing. It varies, but not much from the "norm". (If you know what I mean)

I couldn't imagine playing by my knees. I just feel like I couldn't get a nice hold of the neck and play more than roots (and even then straining to do so). :)

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

highest part of the body up to my belly button

4. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    haha. thats totally understandable. it can be a pain sometimes like when you wanna play something really high like californication by RHCP,i can do it but its not a cutting edge job cause its so low.but i get it with alittle hassle.it only bothers me sometimes.but i guess thats what i get when im influenced by krist novoselic and cliff burton who wore theirs below thigh length!!

5. bassicsax

bassicsax

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I used to wear my bass really low(at my knees) and then I wore it really high(so that when i sat down it didnt touch my legs), and then i wore it kinda low(at or below my belt buckle), but I recently started wearing just a few inches lower than where it is when i sit down, and it has really improved my technique on both hands. It has helped me play more with my finger tips on my left hand, and on my right hand it has improved my slap style and my pick style palm muting. Im not saying this is right for everybody because nobody is the same, but this maybe a little lower or higher(depending upon the day) really seems to work well for me.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    1807678312_f0ba996e91.
    2419972931_e756718cc4.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Well, this thread is an excuse to show my comparatively modest collection in one single post:

Alvaro.

MinotauroDiciembre2081.

Gig02.

T40now-1.

8. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    At my belly.

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    If you wear your bass high, you play with your heart.
    If you wear your bass in the middle, you play with your gut.
    If you wear your bass low, you play with your balls.

Stolen from someone's TB signature, don't remember whose... :bassist:

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  10. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    lol. knock yourself out. show as many as you can =]
    and to any one else whom hasent yet,share your bass-wearing hieght!! =p

11. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    hahaha!...ouch. imagine really doing that?? better forget about having kids now :meh:

12. Same height as Alvaro.

13. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    yup same here

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wear mine just a little lower than Mama Dave unless I'm on a jazz gig, then I wear it about where he wears it. All respect to Alvaro, but if I wore a bass that high, I couldn't play it. I've tried, but it bunches up my right hand. I do have to admit that I find it hilarious that Alvaro wears his bass up high in jazz position while he wears a KISS T-shirt ;)

Anyhow, much as it's fun to discuss strap length, you have to find your own comfort zone and not rely on the opinions of others. Rob Trujillo wears his super low but nobody accuses him of not being able to play the bass to its fullest.

BTW...

If you play with your heart, you'll get blood on the strings.
    If you play with your gut, you'll get acid indigestion.
    If you play with your balls, someone will arrest you if you do it in public.

You've been a lovely audience! Try the veal!

15. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Yeah, and he's got an AC/DC shirt on in the other one!

My goal is to keep my wrists as straight as possible. I came to bass from classical guitar, so I got used to playing seated, using a footstool, and leaning over the instrument, with no weight or strain on my wrists at all:

35109158.AzabagicDSC_0026.

(Not me, just some photo I found on Google).

As far as bass, I actually keep my strap pretty long compared to my height (50" strap, 5'5" tall), and just tilt the headstock up. I've only seen one other bassist play like this, jazz player Bunny Brunel:

He actually attaches has an extra strap button on the *top* of his bass, in addition to attaching the end to a button on the edge (by the bridge). I've never listened to the guy's music, just seem him in the Carvin catalogues, LOL, but here's how he does it:

2850658826_8381f7d3d8_o.

His signature model Carvin also has an extended upper horn, to make this easier - no neck dive at all (see video).

From what I gather, he has a background in upright bass. I think it makes more sense to play an electric bass this way - there is no strain on your wrists that leads to CTS, and as a result, your dexterity improves and your stamina increases. What's not to like? (Aside from drilling another hole in the top of your bass, of course!)

16. Same as Mr Dave up there. Though I wear it a little higher for slap (not often - im rubbish).

17. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    [​IMG]

So, i play with my gut :)

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Me 2.

19. I started playing when I was 8, and the only way I could reach the end of the neck was to wear my bass low.

Wearing my bass right up on my chest feels really strange to me. I've played around between low and belly height but always end up going low again. Unless my right arm is almost straight I don't feel comfortable.

20. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    At or around the same height as Dave.