1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The high costs of touring/playing out of town shows.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Is this the answer? Picture a slightly bigger trailer just enough to carry two bass cabs a rack and odds and ends. Bass can be latched on top of the trailer on a cargo rack if it's not long enough.

Right now I can't even afford the gas to make too many jams in town. I did not have to drive my SUV to work all last week, I took my scooter just like the one in this photo but mine is red. Made By Honda. I drove to work and back a 6 mile each way trip all week and when I went to fill the bike up it only took short of two gallons and total cost was 5.68 to top it off. If I was in the SUV it would have ran 20 dollars minimum. As it was I toped off the SUV having only driven it from the gas station some 7 miles away and back in a loop around town running errands till I hit that same gas station before home and I put 5 bucks in it. Shows you how much I can save riding the scooter and the Honda Silver Wing is a gas guzzler by scooter standards 45 MPG max. With a trailer like that I could extend my range of gigs I could accept to the next town up the hill that is at least 20 miles away.

So what about an indy tour on bikes like this, 4 or 5 guys with a small trailer. Is it plausible? traile12.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Hi.

That scooter's missing 20 or so mirrors.

Dagn MOD's :D.

If You can keep the trailer total weight at less than 1/2 of the weight of the scooter (no matter what the directives or laws say and allow), yes it's plausible.
    Otherwise the trailer will drag You onto the oncoming traffic or into the ditch in a case of an emergency braking.

EDIT: That one in the pic has a way too high center of gravity, the ground clearance doesn't need to be more than what the bike sports.
    One that high will topple over unbelievably fast, and again, drag You along with it.

Make also sure You get a trailer with decent shock absorbers, otherwise: "If it starts hopping, it won't be stopping".
    And yet once again...yep, You guessed it corectly: into the ditch we go.

Regards
    Sam

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hmn--touring on scooters...

Rain? Overnight security?

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No way. That would be a miserable experience and I love to ride.

5. Rain is not that big of an issue, if you have the proper equipment.
    Security is a problem. Also, riding the whole way is going to be very tiring, for all the band nonetheless (everyone is driving). I wouldn't do it. Plus, it's likely that a single car glugs less than 4-5 bikes that are dragging more weight than they're supposed to.
    Maybe it's feasible for a one-off date. But a tour? Hell no.

HolmeBass and Flad like this.
  6. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    I am just thinking that if you can afford the prices of gas on a tour with the bikes but not with vans it's take it or leave it. Rain? NO biggy with the right gear. Security? You can lock the scooters together and to the general observer they are just bikes who knows what is in the trailers Etc?

Far as I can recall the scooter in the photo weighs about 600 lbs.

7. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Scenario: You've just finished playing a gig. It's 11:30pm. You're tired from riding the previous day and the gig. You've got 400 miles to ride to get to your next gig. At 60mph that's almost 7 hours in the saddle in the dark. BUT!!! It's a downpour thunderstorm outside. Your 7 hour ride just turned into a super dangerous 12 hour ride for 4 guys that don't have much experience riding. Much less in the rain or at night.

The cost of good gear is expensive. If you want something that's going to last, be comfortable, safe, and actually do you any good in the rain you're talking hundreds if not more. Boots? $300. Jacket? $300+. Helmet, gloves, pants, etc. It adds up fast. That money could buy a lot of gas for the van. Which brings up another good point, do you own these scooters or would you have to buy them? 4 scooters, 4 trailers, and all the gear needed is going to cost a ton of money. You could buy a new van and still have plenty of gas money left over.

Even with the right gear riding in the rain totally sucks and its very dangerous. Couple that with towing a trailer too?

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    You can do it in a Van very easy...Its been done by plenty...You just have to budget that expense and some towards maintenance (because stuff WILL HAPPEN).
    What happens if a scooter breaks down and one guy can't make it to the next spot?

Cargo van with one bench seat, alternate your drivers, you decide well in advance what people are taking, keep it to just what you need and GO.

9. Joe Kyle likes this.
  10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Seems to me even a small hatchback would carry a LOT more than some of those trailers. I usually go to gigs with my drummer. With some Tetris skills, we put his entire drum set and my bass rig into the back of his hatchback, with room to spare. Dry, safe, etc.

11. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I can think of some things more risky on the road than pulling a trailer with a motor powered two wheeler, but not many. It's hard enough to keep a small trailer running straight and true behind 4 wheels and when you consider the least little upset of a trailer behind a scooter will quickly escalate into a crash, it just seems crazy to even think about. A couple miles in nice weather, maybe, but otherwise, forget it. Even people with experience pulling small trailers have problems. I pulled a twelve foot double axle enclosed trailer for a while with a GMC full size pickup with a towing package, and disliked every minute of it.

It would have to be desperate circumstances to get me on a scooter, or even a full blown touring rig, with a trailer in tow.

pacojas likes this.
  12. Really? I'm getting by with 100€ in stuff. Not top quality but it works.

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Maybe time to drop the SUV and look into something that gets better gas mileage.

BMGecko, HolmeBass and AaronVonRock like this.
  14. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    None of this smells like "rockstar" to me ;)

I believe that I'll stick with my VW wagen, for gigs, 26-30 mpg isn't bad.

HolmeBass and neal davis like this.
  15. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Sidi boots (gore-tex and knee high) aren't cheap in the US, I'm not sure what they actually cost over in Italy but it's bound to be less.

16. They aren't cheap here either, for me it's these guys:
    [​IMG]
    :D

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are those even leather? They look like they wouldn't last too long once you hit the concrete.

As far as touring on bike/scooter, no friggin' way would anybody be interested in that, unless they are a serious bike enthusiast and have never done a tour before.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm not a rider, but I would think that towing a heavy trailer (trailer in that pic does NOT look like it is carrying stuff like heavy amps) would not be any fun at all.

19. Nope, it's plastic. Won't do any good if you fall, but as far as keeping your shoes dry they work.

20. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You're joking, right?
    Two points,
    One, your handle it "Metalbasspro". A scooter is about as un metal as you can get. May be if you were in a Beach Boys tribute band....

Two, that scooter is not designed to haul a trailer. Just because someone hooked one up does not mean it is safe. It has a maximum weight rating of 366 pounds. Reports of problems are common with a 300 pound load.
    That scooter has a variable speed belt drive clutch. The belt will over heat and shred. The tires are not rated for that kind of load ether. The rear will blow or wear out extremely fast.
    I have seen scooters like that blow belts and rear tires with "overweight" people riding them.
    How much money will you be saving when the rear tire blows and the trailer flips you and the scooter or the belt shreds?

Just buy a cheap gas sipping car.

BMGecko, ExaltBass, TonyP- and 2 others like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.