1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The History of Dub

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MakiSupaStar, Mar 8, 2008.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Found this great article that does a good job of providing a short comprehensive history of dub reggae and three of my favorite bass players. Family Man Barrett, Robbie Shakespear, and Flabba Holt. I've noticed a few threads in the past, asking about Dub. Perhaps we can compile them into this thread. If not, it's a great article nonetheless. :)

http://www.bassplayer.com/article/dub-reggaes-low/jan-00/6964

2. Thank you very much for posting this very informative article.

I'm getting into dub more and more but I've yet to listen to Flabba at all.

What albums with him are super essential?

3. Spoiled Grape

Spoiled Grape I <3 Darkstar

May 29, 2003
    Riverside, CA
    Nice article. I'll have to check out your new group sometime Maki. Send me a link or keep me posted with dates. I never got into dub as much as I did Jamaican ska, reggae, and rocksteady.

4. great article, thanks.

For anyone interested in dub's place in the evolution of Jamaican music, it's well worth reading Lloyd Bradley's "Bass Culture".

5. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Flabba is the bass of the Roots Radics rhythm section with Style Scott on Drums. Check out Gregory Isaacs Night Nurse, More Gregory, and Out Deh for examples of his bass lines. The first Eek A Mouse album was recorded with Roots Radics backing him. That's Flabba. Flabba is also the dominant bass player on most of the Dub Syndicate albums again, this is with Style Scott on drums.

6. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Flabba is the current bassist touring with Israel Vibrations. They kick off a European/African tour in a few weeks.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    SUB-scribed :D

8. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    No, DUB-scribed :D

Recently got this CD from The Upsetters. It's on iTunes. Awesome Dub CD from the historic point of view.

Attached Files:

512.jpg
      File size:
      11 KB
      Views:
  9. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=kdpuJRpdheA

DUB :)

I'm tired, been dubbing with my buddies all night actually! we were playing a lot of Rock fort rock tonight...Glad to checkout tb and find this thread :)

DUBWISE.

10. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=HrNqUWorGNY&feature=related

Massive spliff :D

as far as Dub goes, my personal favorite compilation has got to be King Tubby's In Fine Style.
    51YP6P9C8FL._AA240_.
    It's got a killer track listing, and it's done chronologically, so the further in you get, the more experimental it starts to sound, making it a killer soundtrack for certain things. (check the smiley above)

11. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    yes I-ya

very nice article on dub...

by definition, every good reggae band has a good bass player...

But Robbie, Aston, and Flabba are at the head of the class to be sure

Soul Syndicate is probably my favorite of the jamacian bands that not many people have ever heard of... Great live band

Nyabhingi drumming, US R&B, Bill Laswell, Manu Dabingo

IMO if the artists do not know/feel these influences the can't make real DUB... techno maybe but not capitlal D DUB...

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    KING TUBBY!!!!!!
    +1000000000000000000000000000000

They are cheesy but there are some cool Bob Marley Dub albums out there. I'm pretty sure that they are just dub remixes with his vox.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    For true Roots Radics style, please check out Charlie Chaplin's two 'live' in the yard albums...Two Sides and Take Two.

Its more authentic Yardie-dancehall conscious oriented but every riddim played every, every move they make is essential heavy duty.

14. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    I've been listening to some of Bill Laswell's dub electronica stuff, really cool, spacey heavy grooves, different. I dig it.

15. Drifta

Drifta

Sep 13, 2006
    South Florida
    someone say inna de yard?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gWUW7NC4-NE

:bassist:

earl chinna smith is the man!! (soul syndicate)

edit* hey burningskies i checkedout your link in your sig. Tight works man. really nice. its feels great, i dig the drummer a lot too. overall its really nice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WacF0ELrdPQ&feature=related