1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The history of TalkBass............

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by two fingers, Oct 28, 2013.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just wondering if some of you guys who got this ball rolling would mind sharing some of the "behind the scenes" of how it all got started. I think it would make for an interesting read for many here.

Maybe a few questions to kick it off?

Who started it?
    When?
    How long before you guys realized that you had something pretty big on your hands?
    Any regrets?
    Any major gaff stories?
    Major technical glitches over the years?
    Major milestones that you remember?

This is a pretty impressive thing here. I just figured a back story would be cool to read.

Just share what you like if you don't mind. Thanks!

2. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    It is pretty impressive. If you google almost anything about bass gear there are always multiple links to threads on TB in the first few pages of results. Thanks and keep up the good work!

3. A long time ago,
    in a Galaxy, far, far, away.....

BigBobbyBass and bluesdogblues like this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was not here from the beginning (Brad Johnson, Ed Fuqua...may have been).
    That said, IIRC, I was here in 1998...note that my Join Date = 1999.
    There's a time skew because a guy named lump (who is missed) crashed the Server.
    lump then became *lump*...everything, AFAIK, was lost...a total rebuild resulted, a week or so sans Talk Bass, etc.
    (Actually, lump was posting when the Server crashed...we all blamed him).

bluesdogblues likes this.
  5. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Cool story Jim!

Any other officials want to weigh in?

6. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe

Mar 11, 2013
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Carrots?

7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Who started it? Paul Determan, he's still the Mighty One.
    When? Well, that's hard to say. It started out as a sort of "guest book" on his personal website, but then turned into a bulletin board.I don't think I was here before JimK, I'm pretty sure he and I "met" at a defunct website called JAZZCAFE around 96 or so and he was the one that told me about talkbass.
    How long before you guys realized that you had something pretty big on your hands? Wait, what? seriously, what do you mean?
    Any regrets? It's a pretty good way to waste time.
    Any major gaff stories? Like what?
    Major technical glitches over the years? I only remember the server crashing once. There have been a few days here and there that it was unavailable. I haven't tried any of the mobile apps, but I hear there are some issues...
    Major milestones that you remember? No real "fireworks" moments, just realizing that of the few bulletin boards that I frequent, TB has a larger visitorship/participation by the order of several thousands.

The noise to signal ratio can be pretty huge sometimes, but I really wish there had been this resource available to me when I was coming up in East Bum**** GA. To be able to speak directly with folks who had played with people whose records I had, to benefit from the "grandmotherly kindness" of folks who were WAY farther down the path than I was to set me straight when I had stupid ideas, bad attitudes or mistaken approaches - all of that would have been great.

Hues and fretter like this.
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Came over from the old site, been here almost everyday since.:)

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I started lurking in late 2001, joined in mid 2002.

Nothing else before that matters.

10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You may not realize it because you were here from the beginning (or close to it), but this site is a huge influence on many (particularly young) bass players. Guys have started their careers using information gathered here. Several have started companies based on product discussions here. Famous bass players, world renowned teachers, reputable luthiers and executives from very large companies who deal in music gear are represented here. Lots of business goes on between thousand of bass players. Advice, knowledge, contacts, friendships (both live and digital), tips, actual tangible gear, and even hopes, dreams, and sorrows are exchanged here among thousands of people with a common bond coming from all walks of life and many countries. In my view, that is "pretty big". There had to be a point where someone realized that this wasn't just a simple bulletin board for a few dozen bass players and was turning the corner to something much much bigger. Or was there?

Please understand that I am impressed by the whole thing and genuinely curious as to how it got started. That is the angle I am coming from in case that was unclear from the onset.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That's my point. It IS great for those in that same position now.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Well, yeah, maybe. The folks I deal with tend to be primarily jazz players, play double bass etc. and so are , by far, the minority here on the site. There are so many forums on the BG side that I've excluded from my feed that I'm sure there's a lot that I'm not conversant with. But it's hard to be cognizant of growth when you're in the middle of it.

13. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    sub'd...been here since 2005 and heard about it from a local bass player that I sold something to on craigslist.

14. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Being a bit of a gear head I've found it to be a wonderful resource. There are a number of things I doubt I would have ever learned about were not for TB (fEARful, Iron Ether, just to name two).

15. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I couldn't find "Mighty One" in the member list. Anyone know how to reach him?

16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    His username is "paul", IIRC.

17. Interesting thread...subscribed.

This seems like a suitable place to post this question as well...

What is the carrots running joke, I see it in almost every pole.

18. Good thread. I have met several TBers in real life over the years...whether it be at a gig or buying/selling gear.

The funny thing is whenever I meet another bassist, one of the first questions I ask them is "Are you on Talkbass?". It is a great ice breaker for CL deals as well.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I heard about it from John Turner at a Bottom Line get together back in Atlanta in 97 or 98. Been here ever since.

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Same here. I have done several TB deals for gear. But I have also done plenty of regional deals on CL. Every one of the guys I have bought from wound up being on TB already. We're everywhere!