Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sweetleaf, Mar 7, 2001.

1. sweetleaf

sweetleaf

Dec 12, 2000
    I was reading Douglas Adams' quite legendary scifi parody "The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy (a trilogy in five parts)" late last night. Next sentence made me close the book and go to sleep: "Gunfire erupted from a window high above them, but it was only a bass player getting shot for playing the wrong riff three times a row, and bass players are two a penny in Han Dold City." I was so tired that I almost smiled.

2. I laughed my *ss off when I read that book. At least Adams acknowledges that in the *fictional* world, bass players make mistakes. Fiction means not true, remember? :D

FF

3. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I remember reading the second book in the series when I was 12, without knowing that there was one before it - I spent the whole book trying to work out what the f**k was going on. And someone had ripped about the last five pages out! :mad:

Although I remember it was quite funny (I especially liked the bit about the immortal who decided to spend the rest of eternity insulting everyone in the universe), my lasting impression of the book is that it was a load of nonsense about cricket.

Who would have thought that my 500th post to a website about the bass would be about something like this!

4. Congrats yawnsie, on the 500 mark, and your recent ego-boost to moderator :D

And it was a lot of crap about cricket. But funny nonetheless.

FF

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    You sass that hoopy Sweetleaf? There's one frood who really knows where his towel is.

;)

6. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    additional bass content: Douglas Adams' second Dirk Gently book, "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul", makes reference to a guy playing "Ride of the Valkyries" on a Fender Precision Bass.

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    It's been a great day. I reached the 500 post mark, got promoted to moderator, and Blackburn are through to the Quarter Finals of the FA Cup.

:D

8. I love that book!

but isn´t it a trilogy with 4 books? ;)

douglas adams rules!! :D

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    No, 5!

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

2. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

3. Life, the Universe and Everything

4. So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish

5. Mostly Harmless

10. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Adams claims he merely miscounted. :)

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Douglas Adams

As seen of www.douglasadams.com

12. so, I was ALMOST right.. it was first 4.. THEN 5.... :p :D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I never leave home without a towel....

...many years ago, while reading the books for the first time, I came across the passage about the art of flying (...you throw yourself at the ground, AND MISS!! :D). I immdately brought the book to my father, who just happened to be a captain for an airline and had been flying for a living for many years (he's retired now).

I swear I honestly thought he was either going to have a heart attack and die or wet his pants he was laughing so hard! Glad he just had to change his underwear!!!!!! :eek: ;)

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

aww, man!! ya beat me to it!!! i wanted to say that....hey, any of you guys tape a hair to your refrigerator door? heheh

15. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    no no, 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything.

16. Have you got to "The Restaurant at the end of the universe" yet? I wonder what kind of rig the bass Player from disaster area uses. Probably a wall of Arcturan Mega SVT amps.

17. I got bored halfway through the first book. Red Dwarf is infinitely funnier.