The hole for the screw from my straplok

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by foolfighter24, Jul 11, 2001.

1. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    So yesterday I playing my bass and I notice that one of my straploks is loose. So I bust out the screw driver and tighten it up. One problem: it won't tighten. It becomes more loose(I was turning the proper way) so now I have a half of a straplok system on my bass, and really want to get the other fixed before Sunday, as this is when I'm playing live next.

So, what should I do? I'm thinking of going to Ace Hardware and seeing if I can find a screw that is just like the one that doesn't fit but just a little bit longer. Will that work? Is this like trying to find a screw in a haystack? Or could this just be a normal stop at the harware store?

2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    A quick fix I used was stick a tooth pick in the hole and break it off, then put the screw back in. It will hold temporarily.

3. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    This is a twist on Mike's suggestion. Get some good wood glue and squirt some in the hole, then take a toothpick or a match stick and shove in there. Let it dry overnight, then put the screw back in. It should hold very well for a long time. I usually do that as a preventive measure anytime I put on strap locks.
  4. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Thanks so much. That worked perfectly! Thank you!
  5. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Well, you've already solved the problem, but for future reference, the best way to get a screw to grab stripped wood is with steel wool - a little wad in the hole, then screw the whole thing back together. The strands of steel will grab the wood and hold on tight!

6. Actually.. it's better to squirt the stuff in, insert toothpick, insert screw and THEN let it dry.. the glur will fasten the screw even more :D