Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Hole" in a P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I took of my pickup guard off of my American P last night (to adjust my truss rod for the first time which went well btw!! :)) and noticed that under the p/u guard there is a "hole" about roughly 3/4" in diameter (if my memory serves me correctly) that is located under the pickups (lower part of body if you are holding it in the playing position) towards the neck a bit. Actually, it's about where the thumb rest would be if mine had a thumb rest on the lower part of the body under the strings. There did not appear to be anything in the "hole" and it was roughly 1/2" deep. Does anyone know what the heck this is for? It is not "connected" to anything from what I can tell (like where the electronics are, etc). Could it be something that effects the "sound" or "tone" of the body? Just curious...
    :confused: :confused:

Thanks!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I think it's there to give the machines something to grip during the manufacturing process. I can be wrong.

EDIT: Language

3. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    its there so you can give your bass some sweet lovin'

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    How could you know this is humanly possible...didn't he say the hole's about 3/4" in diameter? Unless, of course, you may have firsthand experience with this...:rolleyes:

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Oysterman's right. It's for the CNC machines to do the routing, shaping, etc.
    And as far as Steve's comment:
    Ewww!!!! :oops:

6. Quadzilla

Sounds like Steve might need some grease :))

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Maybe he already has some:D It sounds like he's experienced with this kind of thing!:D

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I told you James Jamerson made sweet love to that P-Bass.

9. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    not grease....vaseline. gotta love those petroleum by-products.

10. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    maybe it's there if you want to screw in the thumbrest without drilling the body.

btw, you can see that hole in the P bass review in BP's 4 string shootout.

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    GEEZ! Give it a rest!

12. Quadzilla

What month (year also if not 2002?) of BP has the 4 string shootout?