The Holy Grail (not the stomp-box)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AltIII, Oct 11, 2002.

1. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I'm interested in hereing about everyone's "holy grail". That bass that you swear to yourself that you'll get, but haven't been able to get your hands on one. Maybe it's really hard to find, or just really expensive.

I've always kept my eyes open for a mint-green non-reverse thunder bird, man those things look so sweet. They're vintage looking, but still somthing different from the old fender shape; that little thunderbird decal is the sprinkles on the icing. and if they sound anything like the "reverse body" version, it's gotta be a great bass.
    I've seen several on ebay, but I'm currently saving my money for a Jazz bass (every bass player needs one, imo).
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Roscoe SKB3007.

I will own one.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My "Holy Grails" turn into tin cups pretty quick... It doesn't usually take long for me to buy something when I have decided that I like it enough.

Some items that are gradually gaining "Holy Grail" status... soon to be converted to tin are:

Conklin GT-5
    Geddy Lee Jazz

I'd also like one of those mini Marshall stacks, an Avatar 15, 410 stack , an Avatar 15c, 12 stack , a Fender Stat, Gibson Les Paul, some really good recording gear, to learn how to use Linux, to see the Grand Canyon with my own eyes, ...

Sheesh, once I get started it's hard to stop. :)
  4. Pre '79 Thunderbird
    Rickenbacker 4000, 4001S or 4001v63
  5. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    ...I think. Will play one soon.

6. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    MTD 535

Warwick Streamer Stage II
  7. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    my Holy Grail is the Fodera Monarch Victor Wooten Classic 4 string bass...wanted one for quite a while...finally managed to get one this week. It's everything I hoped for and then some
  8. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Currently, I think I want one of these:

But I won't know for certain until I try one.

Any of the funky creations from BassLabs would be cool, too.
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Something like this!
  10. Dingwall 5 string, and as long as I'm dreaming I'll take the active model please;)
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    That, my friend, is a John Entwistle Buzzard by Status, a signature model of late great John Entwistle.

Originally the Buzzard was manufactured by Warwick for some years, until it was transferred to Status. The reason for this was the Status' all graphite construction - John wanted to be able to set his basses with extremely low action and not having to adjust them at each gig he was playing.
  12. [​IMG]

It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine.
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Usually my "Holy Grail" bass changes every few weeks.

But I've wanted this one consistently for a long time...

14. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    JRBrown...Yep...Somethin' like that! Or a 70's Series 1.
  15. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    A doghouse big enough for a Yeti? :rolleyes::p

7/8 Wilfer (only $15K)...

16. An LTD F-205.

Man those are Sweet.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Zon Hyperbass. THE most expressive slab on the planet.
  18. My holy grail right now would be a Sadowsky 4-string, or a white '67 Fender Jazz with a red tortoise guard and rosewood board. But, my Curbow J-bass comes pretty close! I designed it be my be-all, end-all, and it is a killer bass indeed.
    Edit: And, for some reason, I can't manage to post a picture of it right now!