The Holy Grail of Bass Choruses.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Driven Crane, Sep 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I have had a lot of bass and not bass specifically choruses...
    1. Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus. very rich tone/tweakability. works nice with clean.
    2.Tech21 Boost Chorus. not so great for bass as its bass version. but it's transparent.
    3. MXR Micro Chorus. a bit dark for me, but not bad.
    4. T-Rex Sweeper v.1 - current. weapon of choice, fat and thick. work nice with dirty in/out. My favorite.
    5. T-Rex Twister v.1 - current. the same as Boost Chorus.
    6. Digitech Hardwire Stereo Chorus - current. tweakability and it works perfect for fuzz synthy tone in (analog setting).
    7. TC Electronic Corona Chorus - current. very rich and transparent, it can be subtle and fat at the same time. weapon of choice for my clean sound.
    8. Digitech Chorus Factory. not bad, i was using it for sweet rotary swirl emulation.
    9. Zoom C-D-R MS-70. a lot of really good sounds, a lot of choruses - but it was hard to operate this pedal alive - better use it for studio tricks.
    10. Danelectric Fab Chorus - very original and transparent. it worth to check it out.
    11. EHX Neo Clone - i loved its cold and mystic tone - but i could not live with the button loud pops. at home it is ok - but disaster when alive. Now Harwire gives me its similar tone for Clone tone.
    P.S. 12. SA Orbital - good for freaky tones, but honestly, a bit plastic , too complex and useless in practice. Experimental pedal. I have traded it for IE Oxide - which is still aboard. I have got their OFD - and i like it much, a great overdrive...

And that's all i can remember for years...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I hear good things about the waterfall from jampedals but haven't heard it in person yet.

3. My Boss CEB-3 is my favorite chorus, in part because of nostalgia as it was my second ever pedal, and in part because I really like the sound. I used to use it as an always-on, subtle tone thickener, but now I use it as a deep, pronounced effect for clean parts or combined with an overdrive (currently a Hardwire CM-2) for a faux-Peter Steele or Geddy Lee sound. It hasn't left my setup since I got it. :)

4. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Can you tell us your settings for Peter Steele tone?

5. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    I have never heard if anybody has a Waterfall. If i would buy an expensive chorus i believe it should be Providence Anadime Bass Chorus.

ExaltBass, Deak and Marial like this.
  6. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I'm currently using the MXR Stereo Chorus (in mono). I set most of the controls right about noon, but I dime the intensity, and I use the low pass switch, which really helps keep the low end. It's rich, audible in the mix, and fairly warm. I like it a lot, but I'm not quite sure I'm done with the chorus quest just yet. I still really want to try the Tech 21 and the TC Corona. And the SA Orbital, mainly because it would be cool to replace two pedals with one (I also use phaser).

I have two other choruses. One is an Arion Bass Chorus. It's cheap plastic, but surprisingly good, tonally. It even sounds musical at the extremes of the knob settings, getting somewhat "organ-ish" when everything is dimed.

The last one I had on the board before the MXR was the Boss CEB-3. I loved having a knob, rather than a switch, for low pass, but it was pretty subtle in the mix, and had an underwhelming, kind of sterile tone when compared directly with my other choruses.

Driven Crane and Bassmike62 like this.
  7. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    The Anadime is on my list, though the Iron Ether Polytope is pretty cool (if quite different).

Driven Crane likes this.
  8. My first ever pedal was an Arion SCH-1 stereo chorus I got in the 80s. I still have it and use it with my synth rig. I don't have enough experience with other chorus pedals to say if it's a "holy grail" or not, but it does the job.

9. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Drunken Sailor Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I don't currently have a dedicated chorus pedal on my board. I had an EHX Neo Clone for a while; it was fine for its purpose, but didn't really excite me. Also like the OP said, its loud pop was really annoying. I think I ended up trading it in at GC.

I have consistently heard good things about the Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus, the Zoom MS-70CDR, and Boss CE-5 -- seems a lot of people prefer the guitar version over the Boss CEB-5 bass version.

In the absence of a true chorus pedal, my Boss BF-3 flanger does a pretty good chorus imitation. Manual and Res at 0, Depth and Rate to taste. I can also do a variety of modulation things with my OBNE Black Fountain delay.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  10. My holy grail chorus as well. Different settings: noon, 3 oc, 9 oc, 10:30, 9,9, low pass ON.

11. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    P.S. 12. SA Orbital - good for freaky tones, but honestly, a bit plastic , too complex and useless in practice. Experimental pedal. I have traded it for IE Oxide - which is still aboard. I have got their OFD - and i like it much, a great overdrive...

12. I have the same thing with my ceb3, since I got it it has rarely left the band board... It can be subtle but also crazy if you need it to be. I find it adds a perfect subtle shimmer that cuts through on the clean parts I play.

skydivingninja likes this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I just had a look at the anadime. Looks alright too, I think.
    From the Jampedals site...somebody does indeed have a waterfall.
    WaterFall users :
    John Scofield, Steve Lukather, John Abercrombie, John Medeski, David Hidalgo, Daniel Lanois, Jim Campilongo, Lee Ranaldo, Anthony Jackson, Jeff Berlin, Dweezil Zappa, Greg Koch, Eivind Aarset, Guy Pratt, Robert Randolph, Julien Kasper, Paul Reed Smith, Joe Robinson, Nels Cline...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  14. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Providence Audio Anadime Bass Chorus

Marial, Driven Crane and Deak like this.
  15. Dominick C.

Dominick C.

Jul 2, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    I don't like mean people or mean comments....
    My favorite chorus pedals are not on the list. The Carl Martin Bass Chorus is stupid good, it is just too big. Same thing for the Boss CE1. Overall tone the CE1 takes it, just a by a little, but the CMBC has the dual functionality and does the rotary slow down and speed up like a Leslie. Let's also not forget the Chase Bliss Warped Vinal, seriously interesting sounds in that one. IMHO these are the best "holy grail" chorus pedals available for the bass.

16. Another unsung hero is the ebs unichorus - I was a long time user and loved it. Unfortunately mine had some liquid spilt on it and started playing up, currently borrowing a Tc corona mini which is also fantastic!!

Driven Crane likes this.
  17. How does the Aguilar Chorusaurus rate amongst all of these?

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  18. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    For me, that's still the Analogman Chorus w/ deep—ideally either analogman's BiChorus (A/B chorus sounds) or the minichorus w/ external mix option.

azwhofan, bass08053 and HolmeBass like this.
  19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I kinda like the Ibanez CS-9.

bassbrad and Rocksolid like this.
  20. Is this similar to the Ibanez BC-10?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022