The **hopefully** last amp search for me...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, May 4, 2004.

1. Hey all,

I'm sure this has been done before, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating but I'm trying to find a head that puts out 500-600 watts into 8 ohms. Something semi-lightweight (less than 30 lbs) can go between sounding huge and thick to clear and transparent. Parametric EQ would be a plus.

Now, I've been looking at the SWR SM-500 or the SM-400S, but I've read that the amp overheats when pushing 500 watts bridged into 4 ohms. Thats no good, right? The SM-5000/400S would be perfect for me, as I was recently turned back onto SWR. I like all of the features of it, especially the 4 band parametric EQ.

I was also looking at the new Aguilar AG500, but I don't know how thrilled I am about having a distortion channel on the amp...I definately know I don't want to go the Ampeg route again, as they just don't sound good to me.

And any cab suggestions would be great! I was thinking about an Avatar 210 and 112 combination...but idk.

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Some words of advise that I've learned to accept "You will never have a last of anything, you might have something that will last long, but never a last".
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you get an Eden WT-800, you will never need another amp. Eight hundred watts into 8 ohms. Or drop back to the WT-600. Same amp, less power.

Oh and, by the way, D-410XLT.

4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    You could always buy my EDEN WT-600 Which puts 600 into 8 ohms while bridged. PM me if interested.
  5. Jeez, you guys are good...I was just perusing the Eden website tonight...I kind of fancy the WT500...but much do the 600 and 800 weigh?

Also, I'd have to sell off my Modulus and my Ampeg/Avatar rig...
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    22 pounds for the WT-600, 26 pounds for the WT-800. Not bad. I like the WT-550, too, but it's only 300 watts @ 8 ohms, 500 @ 4 and 620 @ 2.
  7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Get an Eden cab, they are killer. I haven't really had the opportunity to try out a Head, but I hear alot of good things about them.
  8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Budget constraints? If not, how about a Walter Woods Ultra? 1200 watts at 7 pounds, and tone to die for. Can't beat that.
  9. Hmmm as wonderful as that sounds, I'd think I'd rather pay for my tution first...:p I also have heard that the WWU doesn't do warm sound very well...

I think maybe 500 watts into 4 ohms would be enough...I always go direct anyways at shows, so I don't really need too much beef in that sammich.

I'm looking for the most cost effective, most versatile amp out there...I'm planning on playing some R&B/Fusion/Funk this summer, and I'm also trying to get into the jazz program here at school for next year. I'm looking for something that can be warm (SVT-esque) all the way to moderately "hi-fi" (SWR). Do you guys think that the Eden amps would be the best for this? Also, I may have a chance to try out an Eden CXC112 combo...would this be pretty close to other Eden heads? I could also see what it sounds like through other cabs...

And for cab wise, would 2 Avatar SB112's be a good combination with an Eden head? any Eden users that use 12's?

Thanks a lot, everybody!
  10. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    What about the Mesa M-Pulse 600 or Big Block 750?
  11. I've had bad luck with SWR amps overheating, not being assembled properly, blowing fuses, blowing up ( :mad: ). My SM-900 doesn't really like pushing a 4 ohm 2x15 in bridged mode at moderate volumes. If I had it to do over again I'd go with either Mesa (either M-Pulse or Big Block) or Eden.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You've heard wrong. :spit: But never mind. Sounds like they're out of your budget range anyway. ;)
  13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    head: EA iAmp-800

pre/power rig: BBE Bmax + QSC RMX850.
  15. No offense to iAmp-enthusiasts, but EA would be *too* hi-fi for my tastes...

As for the M-Pulses, I've looked at them, but they might be too far out of my price range...I'm looking to sell my Modulus and my "big" rig, and hopefully keep some of the money from those sales...I fear an M-Pulse would take much of that...
  16. At the top of the thread you were checking out the SWR SM 400 & 500,... so why haven't you checked out the SM 900?

I've had mine for at least 5 years (bought used for $1000cdn.) and never had any problems with it. Yes it does get hot but that is what it is supposed to do, to dissipate heat from the internal components (I'll try and get my owners manual and quote it for you guys). Plus it has a fan which only ingages at high temps.

Here are the specs from the current model:Bridged/Mono mode = 900 watts @ 4ohms and 650 watts @ 8ohms, 26lbs., two rackspace, tube preamp that you can very slightly overdrive with active electronics, 6 band semi-parametric eq and a fantastic studio limiter that can really fatten up the sound.

I crank the eq on my Ken Smith and hit the preamp tube hard through the passive input for rock stuff, and lay back and dime the Aural Enhancer to 2 - 3 o'clock for jazz and funk,... the classic hi-fi SWR sound.
  17. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I've been running my SWR 400-S at 4 ohm Bridged into
    a SWR Henry 8x8 every day for 7 years without a
    single problem.

The tube direct DI and 4 band semi-parametric EQ is SWEET!

Wipes the smile off of Eden owners.
  18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I read your post about believing the iAMP 800 to be "too hi-fi", but I don't understand it at all. Have you heard one? It fits your desired characteristics to a tee, especially the tone qualities listed above.

That said, if the iAMP 800 isn't your cup of tea, I would second the recommendation for the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 600 or Big Block. And if a lower rated head would do it for you, the Thunderfunk head is really something special. Many folks feel that its 400 watts are plenty, although personally, I would also prefer an 800 watt model. Being able to drive more than two cabs is also important to me, as I prefer to mix and match cabs to work the best in a given room or situation, and often that means 3, or sometimes 4 smaller cabs. The iAMP's ability to drive a 2 ohm load is very important to me in this regard. One problem with the WT-800 is that its 800 watts are ONLY into 8 ohms, so if you drive two cabs, you can't do it in bridged mono mode. The WT-550 might be enough, though (300w into 8 ohm, 500w into 4 ohm), and it is actually stable to 2 ohms to boot (620w).

Back to my original point, if you haven't actually heard an iAMP 800, you probably should. If you only heard one briefly, and didn't spend any time with the EQ section, go back and try it again. It really is a tonal chamelon, and can do the warm thick tone thang quite well. It doesn't allow for a tube overdrive, like my Walkabout, but it does get rather "tubey" sounding, if that is your goal.
  19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I wouldn't let concerns about SWR reliability scare you off - I've haven't seen evidence to support that.

I would, however, throw an Ashdown ABM500 into your mix of choices. I've had (too) many rigs and I settled on this one for a while. Best sounding amp to my ears and reasonable power. My guitarist did say it looked like a 'mad scientist gizmo' with the 50's styling and volt meter... :bassist:
  20. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Looks like you've gotten several other good recommendations. If it makes you feel better, I've had 3 SM400 amps (1 original and 2 "S" models) and never had any heat related problems. Everytime I sold one I'd wind up missing their sound and buy another. Great dependable amps. I can't vouch for their newer stuff other than cosmetically I don't like them. I'll also put in a plug for the Mesa M-Pulse amps. I picked up a 600 3-4 months ago and my SWR hasn't seen much work since. It's a very versatile amp. I love the the foot switchable 5-band parametric EQ and compressor. Absolute killer tone! If it's too much $$$ you might try looking for a 360 model.
    Good luck!