1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The horizon of luthiery: your predictions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Captain_joe6, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Seeing as the year is comming to an end and there are quite a few very lovely new builds mentioned lately, I just wanted to see what you all think are going to be the next big things in the development of instrument making.

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    In the development of making? I think that the development is slow, but moving towards more engineering, i.e. less intuition and more figures. This due to the increasing problems to find good wood.

In the development of instruments, I think the microcomputerization of the instruments is going to swell on us. And as a counterforce, more elaborate passive circuitery will arise.

3. I can see a huge interest in people building their own instruments, as more and more people turn their back on the homogenised consumer lifestyle (its happening right now) there will be a resurgence of all types of crafts and traditions. That married with ecologically sound forward thinking, more abundance of technical ability and most importantly shared knowledge, kinship and support from huge non-geographically specific online communities, such as this fine one right here, its looking good for the individual.
    As for the actual material factors of building, there's always room for exploration, and didnt the eighties neatly cross quite a few horrors off the list for our conveniance?!
    Just a thought

4. ELS basses :bag:

lowsound

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    50 years from now they will still be making 50's and 60's Fender reissues.

6. kuh.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

7. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I predict that Ebony will continue to rise in price.....:meh: :D

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    +1

And they'll still be selling "relic"ed ones that arrive new, already beaten up and destroyed. To give you instant musical credibility.

:rolleyes:

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    On a positive note, maybe we'll see instruments with ergonomic considerations, like fanned frets, specially shaped necks, or thoughtfully designed bodies, or even body-mounted tuners, increase from a market share of 0.010% to 0.011%.

10. I think that fanned frets will become bigger, now that the patent is gone

11. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Maybe "An Inconvenient Truth" will prompt builders to stop using wood, and go carbon. More carbon fiber production facilities will pop up, and it'll go down in price.

12. Any thoughts on acrylization and other stabilization techniques? Their progress, decline, etc?

13. I think that acrylization will never enter the mainstream. It might be used be some "upper-crust" luthiers. but I doubt we will ever see a fender with a "stabalized spalted fingerboard"

14. manbass

manbass

May 20, 2004
    Tampa Bay
    I have "converted" from Vintage Fenders to Custom in this last year. As my means go up, as well as my playing ability, so does my pallete....evidently.

+1, NTTAWWT.

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    I think headless basses are making a very steady comeback, even Warwick has got a new one in the cooker. At least three headless projects are going on right here.:)

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And carbon fiber comes from...

oil...

sorry.

At least wood can be re-planted. Oil is trees that died millions of years ago, and will take millions of years to replace. Wood actually makes sense in the way of use-the-original-materials-directly, sort of like eating corn instead of eating the animal that eats the corn.

[/tangent ]

17. Ergonomics was one of the first things mentioned here, and I think it's worth visiting for a little while. I can't decide if we will see more of a shift toward smaller bodies (ala Warwick), or a return to the bigger models of yester-year (Fender, Gibson Thunderbird, etc.). At this point I'm seeing it go both ways. Any thoughts?

Additionally, I think we're going to see more of a shift toward hollowbody and chambered instruments because people will want to be using heavier woods, both for sonic and aesthetic reasons. Because of the chambering, I also thing we're going to hear the sound of the bass become more acoustic and woody rather than ultra bright and sterile.

How say you?

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Materials:
    Plastics will probably be a lot more expensive, pretty soon, due to the oil and greenhouse situations.
    Metals will take back a great deal of the ground it held in the late '70's, in areas with metal fabrications.
    Exotic woods will be higher in price, and more and more scarce. The oil and the greenhouse situations do have an impact here. A major impact!
    I believe we will se more instruments made from wood form the luthiers local area, sometimes reinforced with metal strips and even profiles.

Ergonomics:
    Neck profiles, body profiles and weight will be more and more in focus, because the physionomy of people is degrading...
    Strapping and adjacent issues will come up and increase in value.

Sound:
    Due to the extended range of used materials, and also an extended use of different construction in both neck and body, we will have a more wide selection of acoustic sounds. However, the electronics have a major impact on sound, hence we may find an even wider selection on the market. But, if you dial them "right" they will all sound the same...:eek:

Bottom line: we're going down, and there's no use fighting:rollno:

:D

19. [​IMG]

I predict that in the next 50 years LECOMPTE and SCOTT FRENCH will sell out to Gibson, Fender will go bankrupt, Vinnie Fodera will cut all his right hand fingers on the bandsaw and I will be a dead rock star.

20. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Hagstrom is using their version of a stablized ebony fingerboard called "resinator wood" on its new models. It says it's a composite on their site, but I saw a video on Harmony Central from summer NAMM and the way the guy was describing the process it sounded like stablized wood. I think there's a lot of benefits to stablized fingerboards. I do think it will be used more and more.