1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Hossenfeffer II Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Gilmourisgod, May 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    A bit premature, no doubt, since I haven't painted the Hossenfeffer I yet, but I will be doing that in a couple weeks, looking for a winter project. I'd promised my son a Ric clone, so here it is in the planning stages:
    upload_2017-5-26_21-9-57.

I have some 1" thick plain sawn walnut stair treads i plan on using for the body wing backs, on the hunt for 1/4" figured walnut bookmatch pieces for the front, with a flame maple three piece neck with one walnut stringer. The headstock wings will also be capped with figured walnut. Fingerboard will be bubinga with crushed pearl inlays. The body and headstock will be bound with cream abs binding, which will cover the transition between plain walnut back and figured caps.

I haven't decided on electronics yet, leaning towards HB-1's with a simplified three-knob control set, Master Volume, Master Tone, and Blend. I don't know if stereo is possible with that setup.

Finish will be some kind of oil, maybe Tru-Oil, or I may end up doing a clear WB finish on it, we'll see.

Any suggestions appreciated. I had originally thought of using two walnut neck stringers, but they have to be pretty thin to avoid overlapping the headstock cutouts weirdly.

TonH, ICM, gsnad2000 and 3 others like this.
  2. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Looking forward to it. And please paint the Hossenfeffer I. I need to see it finished :D

3. Jon Clegg

Jon Clegg Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I like it. You can still do stereo with that control setup but you'll need to use dual pot's for everything.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Axstar likes this.
  4. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
  5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    No where near as much as I do, let me assure you! I've been terminally sidetracked with the usual spring chores, boat prep, etc., but I have built a temporary spray booth in my garage, bought an HF HVLP sray gun, and the Varathane gloss clearcoat, so some paint is imminent.

I would prefer two walnut stringers, but don't want them to extend into the headstock "hooks", so they can't be more than 1/4" apart. maybe I'll try one more CAD mockup. I was able to salvage and improve my original body wing and headstock templates, so that's a start. Thanks for the Rockler link, but I have three of these 1" x 11" x 48" walnut stair treads I can use for the plain walnut backs for the body wings, and I can rip pieces for the stringers. The treads are multiple boards glued together, but one of them has wide enough boards to cover the body wings.
    et.com/user/Gilmourisgod1/media/IMG_4348_zpsnswok2mr.jpg.html] IMG_4348_zpsnswok2mr. [/URL

TonH and Jon Clegg like this.
  6. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Not necessarily. If OP wants to run the bass in stereo 'full time', then he could use single-gang volume pots, and simply need a dual-gang pot for tone. I'm not sure what sort of setup would be most advantageous really. With a dual-gang master volume blend you could control the overall level, and mix, of pickups going to their respective tip and ring connection on the stereo jack. I *think* having two single-gang volume pots would be easier if OP is planning to jump between stereo and mono, but I'm not sure.

I once saw a tidy scheme mapped out that used two switching stereo jacks, with the switch of each jack shorting out one pickup circuit from the other jack. With two mono cables plugged in the bass ran in stereo, but either stereo jack would work as a mono output for both pickups if the other jack didn't have a cable plugged in.

I like OP's design! I'm always torn between Rickenbacker designs with that space-hogging pickguard and more modern 4004 (etc) designs that delete the pickguard. I think this design looks great on natural finishes.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    If I can afford it, I may have Dane Wilder (AKA aceonbass) build me a double HB-1 harness. He's figured out how to get a switchable stereo output through a single jack with a push/pull pot, maybe that could apply here too. I can solder just fine, but have only a dim and shaky understanding of the circuits involved. If anybody has a link to a wiring diagram for dual humbuckers Master Volume/Blend/Tone, please post it!

Aceonbass likes this.
  8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I don't think it matters if the pickups are humbuckers or not if you don't intend to split them or otherwise make use of their 4-wire capabilities. There are various schemes for doing a Vol/Blend/Tone mod to Jazz basses, such as this:

a8141adb75b5370d_zps00e49acc.

The waters are only muddied slightly because you need dual-gang volume and tone pots as well. In stereo mode you don't want the hot side of one pickup circuit to 'see' the hot side of the other pickup circuit, otherwise you will have a mono circuit. When you turn down the master volume you are therefore turning down two separate volume controls ganged to the same knob. Likewise the tone, if you want a master tone for both pickups, as to do the same, requiring two capacitors. I've not seen push/pull dual-gang pots, so I'm not sure how aceonbass's scheme would work. It would work if you were to delete the blend control and have two single-gang volume pots, and have one of these as a switching pot.

Assuming humbuckers are used, you could have a 500K neck volume pot, a 500k switching pot for bridge volume, and a 500k dual-gang pot for tone controls for both pickups. The neck pickup volume pot output runs to one tier of the tone pot, then to the 'tip' of a stereo jack. The bridge pickup volume pot output runs to the other tier of the tone control, and then to the 'ring' of the stereo output jack. The push/pull switch can then be configured to cut the signal to the sleeve and route it to the tip instead.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  9. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Here's my take on a dual HB BVT setup with Ric-O-Sound stereo:
    DualHB.
    All pots are dual-ganged for running in stereo. The circuit is normally stereo unless you plug into the Mono jack.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  10. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks! Did you have that on hand, or draw it up? Nice diagram either way!

11. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Modified the wiring diagram for the Danobacker.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  12. Frederiek

Frederiek

Aug 8, 2016
    Netherlands
    Awesome!! I'll be watching this... :rolleyes:

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  13. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    That is a nice tidy scheme! Does the bass sound darker in mono if you roll down the tone as you have two capacitors in parallel acting in the circuit?

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  14. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Probably, but you also have two inductors in parallel which may tend to mitigate the effect. It's essentially the same situation you'd see on a Ric with the toggle in the center and both tones rolled down. You could always prototype it by auditioning various caps like 22 nF, 33 nF, and 47 nF in stereo and mono to see what sounds best.

15. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    You could also put the tone controls first so the resistance in the blend pot would be between the two tone controls when the blend is at mid and volume is maxed:
    TBVstereo.
    Needless to say, you'd want to use a blend/balance taper pot like this for the blend control in either scheme

Axstar likes this.
  16. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    The discussion has now become Greek to me, maybe heiroglyphics? :D
    When I get that far, I'll start whining for an idiot proof wiring diagram, with like... wires and stuff. It's pathetic, I know, but electronics has remained elusive to my brain, though oddly enough I'm pretty good with a soldering iron. I built a couple BYOC pedals that worked! I have no clue how.

ctmullins likes this.
  17. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    LOL, I actually prefer to work from schematics, wiring diagrams confuse me :D. Here's what the wiring diagram looks like for the second scheme:
    TBVstereoWD.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks Jon! That I can follow.

19. Jon Clegg

Feb 9, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Just updated the drawing (again) The ground on the tone pot was wrong. I really do better with schematics:smug:

wraub and Gilmourisgod like this.
  20. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    Can't wait to see this one come together! Mr. Hall should get in touch with you...not for a cease and desist, but to ask you to run his custom shop!