Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "how am I doing?" thread...please read.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by White_Knight, Oct 16, 2000.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Yes, this is off-topic, but it pertains to this forum. At any rate, it's the return of my "how am I doing?" post. I really do believe that it's you people who make this forum what it is, so if there's something that you don't like - about anything here (well, anything that pertains) - I want to know about it. Also, what do you like about this forum? I'm not looking to give myself a pat on the back here, I'm just trying to see what you do like so that I don't change it accidentally.

How are things here in Amps? Am I doing my job? Anything that you want me to do different or to pass onto Paul? (though you can e-mail Paul himself by using the like at the bottom of the forums summary page). At any rate, thanks in advance to all who respond - your input is what makes things happen around here. And also, thanks for making this the awesome forum that it is!

2. All right! It's ass-kissing time :D

All kidding aside, WK you are doing a fine job. This forum has been a source of some great info and fun, good-natured debates on the ever subjective world of amplification. No major flame wars, a minimum of pure idiocy, I'd say things are going quite smoothly, as I have seen similar forums get WAY out of line with little to no prudent moderation.

Tips to make it better? Hmmm. Well, you have probably already been doing this, but if you (or anyone for that matter) sees or tests a new amp that you haven't seen discussed here, start a thread about it :) Let's fill up that search engine for all the lost souls to consult. What did you like about that amp? What did you hate about it? What was it's price? What unique functions does it have (ie Fender Bassman's "Room Balance")?

That was a totally generic idea that I think didn't need to be mentioned, but if it motivates a thread or two, then it was a smashing success :p

Keep up the good work WK!

-Dan

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Tumbs up to you, White Knight!

I would like you to do something about the five picture threads that are currently in Amps. (I read you are already working on it, cool!). And I very much would like to see a comprehensive review of the SWR Mo' Bass (shameless request).

Keep up the good work!

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I have no idea what has to be done 'behind the scenes' of such a forum, but I know that this one is really great. So I guess you are doing your job very well.

It seems to me, as if there were more new posters recently, many of them with very basic questions. I find this a little annoying, especially when it is obvious that those guys drop in and ask without searching older threads before and then are never seen again.
    Not answering those questions is maybe no good idea, because one could come to the conclusion that this forum is a not very helpful place - wich is not true of cause.

Maybe a kind of FAQ section (one for each forum!?) would help here, but I know that this is a lot of work...
    But well, that's just an idea, I really like this forum the
    way it is. And since this is by far the largest bass-forum I found so far, I guess I'm not the only one who likes it...

Woahh, I'm a bootlicker, brrr ;)
    All kidding aside, this forum IS great.

Matthias

5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A suggestion regarding the 'picture threads':
    You could add a reply containing a link to ergodynebass' original thread to all 'duplicates' and then close those threads. This way we won't get rid of them, but at least they can not 'grow'.

Matthias

[Edited by Matthias on 10-17-2000 at 07:36 AM]

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    [​IMG]

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree that it woul dbe a good idea to round up the "pictures" threads and consolidate them. Or even better how about a feature that allows people to put pictures o ftheir gear in special place (maybe in profiles) that doesn't allow anything other than pictures. Often these threads get perpetuated by discussion and it then becomes difficult to find the pictures, so people lose interest and another one gets started. If we had a permanent "gallery" maybe this would be an improvement?

8. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, first things first: yes, I am working on the picture threads. I think that so far Matthias's idea sounds the best, so I'll go ahead and try that out. BTW, I got my e-mail back from Paul - there isn't a way currently to physically combine threads.

Bruce, another good idea, I'll pass that on to Paul and see what he thinks. I've noticed as well that those picture threads really do seem to turn into conversation.

Mo'bass: if you send me a SWR Mo'bass, I'll review it for you. :) At any rate, I'd love to see more amp reviews start coming in - it's pretty empty over in that section.

Slaphappy, an excellent idea - perhaps it could be combined with the requests for more reviews to fill up that section.

Matthias (again): I've been toying with the idea of an FAQ for quite awhile now. Especially with the "Tech Questions" thread by Joris which has some really great information in it. I'll talk to Paul about it and see what he says.

At any rate - thanks all. I'll pass those things that I've listed above over to Paul and see what can be done.

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Ok, fixed the pictures thread problem. I've designated the following thread as the main thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=6075

I believe that this is also the original thread (assuming that I'm linking to the correct one here...)

Also, I don't know how it's loading up for you guys (the pictures thread), but for me it's coming up really odd - everything's out of place, some posts are repeated, and whatnot. This is through Internet Explorer, BTW. Netscape Navigator won't even load the page, it always only loads up to Bruce's final post and then says "Document Done". I've even tried loading it through two ISP's. So, hopefully it's looking ok to you guys.

[Edited by White_Knight on 10-17-2000 at 03:35 PM]

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Ditto to all the comments. It's great that this forum has moderators, and that they do a great job - no flaming here.

As far as newcomers being ignorant, I made some stupid posting mistakes until I found my way around ("When all else fails, read the directions"... but maybe the directions need to be in larger letters).

I totally agree that the picture links should be in a separate area.

Reviews: Wasn't there a "reviews" section under "topics" before? Is it gone, or moved?

Thanks again for the great forum.

Bob

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    White Knight -

Oh, you're just fishing for compliments. Add one from me.

12. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Munjibunga, no I'm not! But thanks anyway. :)

The Reviews section now can be reached by the links at the top of the page. (Right in the area of the Talkbass.com logo , under the advertisement)

13. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    First off this is a great forum, i have learned more in a few months than in the last few years.

I do have one bitch though. We gotta cut the newbies a break. Most of these are younger players looking for advice from the rest of us and more often than not they get their ass handed to them by somebody that thinks their question is to basic for a simple answer. Remember guys we all were new here at one time, if you see one of those type questions from a newbie, direct them, dont shred them.

We dont want to discourage new members, CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???????

Keep up the great work and thanks.

14. reel big bassist

reel big bassist

Mar 27, 2000
    Maryland
    I think your doing a good job. I don't really
    know what goes on behind the scenes, probably
    a lot of editing, but what I do know is that this
    forum is great.

I have an idea,to further enhance the communication
    between members.
    I think we should have a chat room.
    You know, like one for each topic.
    I think that would help us to get to know each other
    better. I currently talk to Ikickuintheballs, over AIM.
    By doing this, I have learned a lot more about his techinque, his amp, and him as a person.
    However, for those of us that don't have an IM service I think
    a chat room, here at talk bass, would be a great idea.

The only downside to having a chatroom is,
    that since members will be constantly communicating,
    it is more likley that arguments will break out. Which
    is ok, but if not handled in a polite way, they could
    lead to what you call "flaming." So I think the bottom
    line is, if we have a chat room, to give people
    the same respect as you would if they posted.

Before you attack someone, ask them questions about what they are trying to say, becuase the written word is not always 100% clear. Also be careful of your use of the smileys, some one might take them the wrong way.

Oh, one other thing. I'd like it if more members fill
    out their profile. You don't have to put age, or birthplace, or whatever, just you rig. That way,
    we can help you with problems concering your amp, cab
    or whatever. Plus, I like to see what other people have.
    It's cool to see everyone's gear.

Sincerely,
    -Greg P

15. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Reel Big Bassist: I really like the idea of having people fill out their profiles. It would be nice if they were all filled out, however there's no way to force people to do that (and I wouldn't want to force anybody to give information away, at any rate). Thus, you'll just have to keep requesting the newbies to fill them out.

A chat room is an interesting idea that I was considering last night as well. I'm not sure how well it would be received though - a lot of people are into the "get the info and play" idea instead of shooting the breeze (either is ok with me, for the record). And yes, I understand that a chatroom would give us a really valuable way to interact and learn from each other, I'm just not sure how much support that it would have. One final thought on that: moderation would be really difficult. As far as I know there is nobody who is online here 24/7 so there would be times when there was no chat-room moderation whatsoever. Then again, that may not be a problem at all.

At any rate: let's here it people - does a chatroom sound like a good idea? If so, (or if you're against it) then post your comments in this topic. Perhaps if there's enough demand for one then one might be added. Paul has e-mailed me saying that he is really busy currently, so I'm going to wait for a reply on my previous e-mail before I e-mail this question over to him. That will also give you guys some time to post your thoughts.

Oh, one final thing: it wouldn't really be Talkbass sponsored, but perhaps someone could set up a couple of chatrooms on a webpage or something. I think that there might be a good possibility of Paul putting up a link to it if everything went well.

Oh, one more final thing :) , Mike, I do agree with you there. It isn't out of hand yet, but we do need to hold ourselves back before we thrash a newbie. As I said, it isn't a big problem yet, but I don't want it to turn into one either. If they post a question that has just been answered recently, why not post a link to that thread or at least tell them that one was posted recently and to do a search on it. Patience everyone, we were beginners at one time as well (I hate to think of what some people must have thought of my questions back then :) )

16. I LOVE the idea of the chat room! and maybe even a thing where we can play to eachother too! hehe that'd be great

-Willz

17. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Man a chat room would be fantastic. I would be a daily user(or nightly when they put a computer in the docs lounge).