Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The hunt for a Cheap 6 string. (500-600)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PasdaBeer, Jul 17, 2005.

1. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    its that time, the urge for a low priced 6er' is back.
    Main stuff i like:
    active eletronics
    Wide spacing if at all possible
    deep cutaways
    no stinkin single coils!
    Non Vintage designs.

current choices im lookin at

Cort Curbow 6 string
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/product/reviews/base_pid=512719/rpp=10

i like the design personaly, since i use a lot of high register stuff. Ive played Acrylic bodies guitars/basses and have really dug them, but how does luthite compare?

Peavy Grind NTB
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=bass/product/reviews/base_pid=511372/rpp=10/page=1

Ive really liked the 5 string models in the past, a bit tighter string spacing then i like, but still nice.

Brice 6 stringers....not sure which one, probl the neck threw

or of course, not a 6 string, but the GL 2500

ive owned Dean 6ers, didnt like them that much ( sounded exactly like my 4 string, wouldnt ya know : P )

so lets hear some opinions of suggestions!

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Check out a Spector Legend 6. Basscentral is selling them for $659. Imported Spectors tend to be very nice for the money to me.

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Ya I've heard good things about the legends. Also check out an Ibanez BTB, there is several different models that vary in price but I played one for about $700 Can. and it suprised me how great it was.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    forgot all about those...

one thing, i already have a basswood/maple necked bass with EMG HZ and pre amp...

The Dean 6er' i had sounded EXACLTY like my 4 string dean, which unfortuntly the spector has the exact specs.

either way, i like spectors, and ill have to see if they still carry them at the local shop

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Look for a used Yamaha. Not the RBX, the other one, the TRB6.

6. SEXY

Its a little out of your range but its worth a look. Maybe you could find one used.

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    is that the peizo model? that would be sexy as hell

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    If you want wide, the Brice Z6NT fits that bill ........

[​IMG]

9. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    +1 the BTB surprised me as well. I may just be getting one soon.

Graeme

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'd go for a Peavey Fury 6-string over a Grind. Quality control on the Fury basses is more consistent than on the Grinds. Plus it has the VFL humbuckers and a 3-band EQ. Looks, feels, and sounds like a much more expensive bass.

Other good inexpensive 6-strings:

-Ibanez SR506. 2.125" wide at nut, 3.25" wide at heel, MK Barts...definitely one of the better lower-priced sixers.

-ESP B206LTD. I never tried one of these, but ESPs tend to be well made, and the 2005 models of this bass have EMG humbuckers (as opposed to ESP humbuckers.)

11. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I just bought an Ibanez SR-506 a little over a month ago and absolutely love it. I've been playing 4 string since '80 and this is my first foray into a bass with more than 4 strings. I can definitely recommend it and it comes in at your $600 USD cost limit. :)

[​IMG]

12. I bought a Brice HXB-406 fretless last week and I love it to death. If the Z6 is higher quality, it's probably an absolutely amazing bass.

13. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i havent seen the fury 6er's yet, ill have to look around for some

Ibanez, ive never been super impressed with, but thats all been the 5 bangers, with TIGHT spacing, which i deffitly didnt dig.

keep em coming guys, id love some sound clips : )

14. The BTB models have a wider string spacing than the SRs

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a Fury six string, and although it doesn't get a lot of play, it's a fun bass.

Thing is, though - if you're looking for wide string spacing, look somewhere else. That thing is TIGHT. (And not in the ghetto-fabulous way.)

16. The BTB is what I'm getting next. It's a mean bass.

17. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    right now, i think the curbow 6er with ebonal fretless board is winning.....

the BTB i really didnt dig the looks of that much, the Brice looks really kinky, Peavey fury i couldnt find any info on/sales places.

18. Hows about a Galveston? - their 8-strings can be had on ebay pretty cheap...they're cheap basses, but it'll give U a taste of them - check 'em out - Active electronics...its worth the money just fior the active aspect!

19. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ive been lookin at them, ive herd horror stories.

im a gigging musician, i need something thats gonna work, when i need it,but not mind when it gets knocked off the stand.

20. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I got a Tune 6 string from Sam Ash for around 575.00. It has active electronics, wide spacing, and a nice clear red transparent finish. And did I say the spacing is wide. I traded my Brice HXB-406 for it and have not regretted it. The Brice was nice and I was going to install a Bart preamp in it but played the Tune and fell in love. Very modern sounding but soem vintage sounds can be attained by playing with the 3 band EQ. The mid range can also be adjusted with an internal pot. Here is a pic of my godson playing it.

[​IMG]