Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Hunt is ON! (2x10 thread)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I just got the check. I am now officially shy one D-410XLT. What does that mean? That means I'm using my $$$ to get an 8 ohm 2x10 to use for smaller gigs, practicing in the room, and stackable on my other XLT for a rig that's still bigger than it needs to be.

Sooo, it's off ro Crack Dealer (AKA Gard) to go try out the 2x10 market. I'll be looking at (and able to afford)

Epifani
    Bergantino
    Eden XST
    Aguilar
    EB/MM (Mad Sub's got me thinkin)
    SWR
    Ashdown
    EBS (I'll try their 4x10s and see from there)
    EA (I THINK! I'm not sure about sale price on these)

What does that mean? It means I'm ITCHING to go soil these amps with my less than spectacular, suspect, sub par, and souless bass playing. And I'd like to have your thoughts on the deal. I'm going to have the store do a blind Test and A/B/C/D ect behind my back, so that all I'll hear is the best sound. I'm GASing to death here.

What are your opinions? Mine's the XST, with the Epifani and EB/MM's in second. If the XST is what Gard and others say it is, I might even sell the other XLT. But that's not gonna happen....is it? (Poor PICK would have a heart attack :D)

2. Hey Brendan.. was that my XLT you sold, or yours? ;)
    I heard Stachio's 210XST at the Atlanta get-together, and I was very impressed with it. It sounded really deep and tight. Of course, I was playing his awesome Zon Lightwave fretless 5 through it! I'm sure that helped.
    I'm using an Aguilar 2x10 and I like it a lot. I'm sure you'll end up with a great cab. Have fun at Crack Central.. err, Bass Central!

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Impossible to say what your ears, bass, amp, etc. will like best. Mine settled on a Bergantino HT210 after tyring (and owing/gigging with) most of the ones on your list. Sounds like fun making the selection, tho! :D

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...crack dealer...

...Crack Central...

...I'm hurt...

(...and there goes y'all's TB discounts...:p)

;)

See ya Saturday Brendan!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Awe Gard, you know we love yer basses. :D

Yep. Me an Brad are up there Saturday. Even if Brad wusses out this time too, I'm still up there so's that I can fondle the merchandise.

If I settle on something besides the Eden or Aggie, I'll have to wait a couple weeks after the BC trip for my next paycheck, but either way, BC's gonna take all my money.

6. Hit me in the face all you want, but the recent Crate 2x10s (with the front porting and casters) sound really, really nice.

7. Wayne Jones 2 x 10 + horn, 780 W rms, 1560 W
    peak. I've been using 1 cab with a QSC PLX 2402
    in bridge mode, 1500 W @ 8 ohms. Some people
    could not believe their ears when they saw the
    small size of my rig and heard the HUGE sound
    that it delivered. I was not going through the PA.
    I play in a loud rock band with a hard hitting
    drummer.

Now I have 2 Wayne Jones cabs. 2400 W @ 4
    ohms. I can't wait till the next gig.

Please consider these cabs because they will
    deliver everything that you are looking for and
    more, guaranteed.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use a pair of SWR Goliath Jr. cabinets. They aren't the best sounding 2x10 cabs I've ever heard... but they are hundreds of dollars less than the best 2x10 cabinets I've heard, and are also significantly lighter in weight (55 pounds each, versus 70 or more).

9. How come no Mesa/Boogie? I would seriously consider their 2x10 powerhouse cab, if you're looking for an 8 ohm 2x10. It's not as sterile as SWR, and not as dark as the Eden. I would describe it as having a polished high end, as well as a nice deep and rounded bottom. I have not had much to compare it to, other than the two amps mentioned, but it did win my ear.

10. Oh ya! It's pretty light and costs allot less than say an Eden. (About $300 Canadian should = $200 U.S.)

11. Good God, man, a WJ 2x10 is US $1100, and we haven't even factored in shipping. I mean, I'd love to have one, too, but...

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Aye, Jones things are heavy$$$!
    If I was US, I'd try Acme. Veery nice specs.

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Yeah but who wants a cabinet made out of old pallet's! Just kidding!:D Hard to erase an old image!

14. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I play through one of the series III SWR Goliath Jr. cabinets and they do sound good and are very portable. Certainly better than dragging around a Red Head. Several years ago I had one of the Jr. Series I (rear port) cab's and they had a much tighter sound (Not as much low end as the series III but much better for funk style bass). Wish I had kept it.

15. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    They don't make them any more but you can still find the EA VL210's around for about $500. I have two of them and man I gotta say those things kick some serious arse. I sold a 410 xlt to get them and they sound way better, to my ears anyway. With the VL210's my eq is now set flat on the bass and the head and it's huge, clear and punchy as he!!.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i really enjoyed my goliath jr 3, and wish i didn't have to sell it. if i had to get a 2x10, and didn't have epifani or bergantino money, i'd probably get one again.

but i'd bet money you'll come back with an XST.

17. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    My 2 cents.....

I'm very happy with the Acme B-2 Low (2 X 10", 5" mid and 1" tweeter). I've been getting nothing but compliments since I got it. Lightweight, great sound, solid construction, fuses and attenuators on the mid and tweeter.

18. We'll be looking forward to hear what you decide to get. I definitely would like to hear how you compare the XST to the XLT, Aggie and Goliath Jrs.

19. I bought a 210 last week. I spent several hours in a couple of different stores. I liked the Eden 210XLT the best by far. I tried SWR WM and Goliath 210s, Two different Ashdowns, Mesa, Yorkville, the new Ampeg Portabass (I think) and Peavey. I couldn't really afford the Eden. I tired the Peavey 210TVX for a laugh really as I haven't seriously considered any Peavey stuff in years. I ran through the entire gamut of Peavey bass amplification in the late 80s-mid 90s and never found one I really liked, so I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I surprised! Short of the Eden, the Peavey was by far the best sounding cab I tried! This completely freaked me out..... It's clear, punchy, loud and handled my B-string exceptionally well! I am really impressed with what Peavey's done here. So I bought it. It was also way cheaper than any of the other cabs except the Yorkville. In short, don't count Peavey out here, their TVX series cabinets are very nice and definitely give great bang for the buck!

20. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I think the bass skills also helped you out in sounding good :) . Lightwaves tend to bring out any weaknesses...
    Anyways, I like the XST. I was going to go Aguilar but Gard tackled me right before the goal line. "Noooo...you neeeeeed this new Eden they're coming out with" and with a sprinkle of his special magical powder (Gard, note I didn't use the C word this time :) )...I end up with an XST two days later.
    Loud, deep, tight, and cuts nicely.
    Of course, you could have tried it, Brendan ;) .