1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Hurricane Florence thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Prep. Starting now board up everything and oil up the generator.

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. Relax.

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Move to the Midwest where their tornadoes only last seconds.

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. Move up North where ice covers the ground 8 months out of the year.

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. Move to Florida and spontaneously combust about June of next year.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. For crap sake cover the carrots, man!!!!

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welp.... here we go again.

Almost all of the spaghetti is right in my neighborhood. (The model maps with the different colored lines are called "spaghetti maps" or "spaghetti models".)
    florence-spaghetti-models.

But, we've been here before. The difference is that this one could possibly hit landfall with 145 mph winds.

That's a strong storm.

Yes, it's too early to tell. But we're going to be impacted anyway, even if that high pressure system moves off the coast harder and the storm tracks further north. Even if the eye doesn't make landfall, the Mid-Atlantic region is gonna take a hit. This sucker is gonna rain and blow.

My first-world problems include the following...

1) We're in the middle of several projects in our back yard. We are rebuilding a two-story porch. We are adding an 18'X26' cover over another patio area which will, in essence, become a huge "wing" on the side of our house.

2) Our pool has had a bunch of problems this year and is supposed to be getting a new liner statting Monday. I think I'll call that guy and postpone that operation.

3) Really tall trees. We got 'em.... and lots of 'em. Both of my neighbors and I have hige trees thay could slice any of out houses in half if they fall the right way.

Oh, well. Like I said, we've been here before.

Who is out here with me in the Mid-Atlantic? Wanna have a hurricane party?

2. In the Hearland we have tornado parties.
    Problem is we don’t have much time to plan and they don’t last long.
    Kind of just need to have both beers ready to go. That’s about all you can get in before the all clear.

Keeping you, and everyone in the path in our thoughts.
    Hopefully Flo will follow one of those two pasta strands that turn North.

two fingers likes this.
  3. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Batten down the hatches :thumbsup: Lobby, donate, educate, support, and be ready to batten down the hatches, for real. Best of luck everyone!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    bholder and two fingers like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "Batten". :D

two fingers and Tom Bomb like this.
  5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb

Apr 23, 2014
    Just got my marching orders :)

bholder and two fingers like this.
  6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I just had this mental image of a marching band conductor whacking on the hatches with his baton. :D :D :p

shadowtippy and Tom Bomb like this.
  7. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think I'm going to try something different and baton down my hatches this time out.

I sounds French so what could go wrong?

images (7).

8. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dang it! You beat me by a minute!

9. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Hoping it fizzles out before it hits land for you.
    You've struck me as a guy who's always pretty much ready for anything...
    Whatever you do, don't move to Florida... they're always getting hit!

Also, tie up your girls...they sound like the sort of adventurous kids who'd think it's a good idea to watch this from a tree-top!

Mr_Moo, two fingers and shadowtippy like this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Are you secretly living IN MY HOUSE?????

:roflmao:

Old Blastard, pcake and Oddly like this.
  11. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    teddy-bear-red-bow-peeking-260nw-1008479764.

Mr_Moo, JACink, Wisebass and 7 others like this.
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    The rules of thumb here is:
    1) TS to Cat 2 = board up everything, prep generators. If it's a Cat 2, go into our structure here that survived Hurricane Carla("Although it weakened back to a Category 4 hurricane late on September 11, Carla reached its minimum barometric pressure of 931 mbar (27.5 inHg). Later that day, the storm struck Matagorda Island, Texas (seven miles south of Port O'Connor) with winds of 145 mph (230 km/h). Carla rapidly weakened inland, and degenerated to a Category 2 hurricane on September 12, while passing just east of Port Lavaca." Hurricane Carla - Wikipedia )

2) Above Cat 2? Board up, load up important documents and 1 box each of "treasures", and realize you may return home to a pile of debris. Good insurance makes this choice easier but not painless.

Claudette was fun(Cat 1, 2 weeks on generator living in one room with a window unit + fridge + satellite + internets), Harvey was a wet mess landing west of us by about 40 or 50 miles(1 week on generator IIRC), also did the Ike and other Houston/east Texas storm drills even though those took a northeast hook just prior to landing. Evacuated to San Antonio when Rita was headed at us at Cat 4 or 5 and came home to a few limbs blown down and nothing else. Rita taught us NEVER to complain about conversion vans having 30+ gallon fuel tanks as the mandatory evac had us in traffic for 12 hours....driving what normally takes 3. We had 1/2 a tank left when we got to San Antonio.
    Also been through all New Orleans storms between 1960 and 1989, relied on the legendary Nash Roberts to tell us CORRECTLY where storms would go.

@two fingers
    I'd prep now and watch these pages. Using them, we decided to stay during Harvey as it appeared to be floating west of us at the last minute(and did).
    Tropical Tidbits
    Mike's Weather Page... powered by Sparks Energy!
    These two pages and your regional radars are VERY important to have. During Harvey we lost internet but had a tablet to our cell provider that allowed us to see where the hell Wandering Harvey was actually going.
    wxloop wv_east_enhanced 12
    You can navigate on this page using your mouse and zoom functions:
    RAMMB/CIRA SLIDER: Satellite Loop Interactive Data Explorer in Real-time with GOES-16 and Himawari-8 Satellite Imagery
    On this page, click the latest "story" and then scroll to the DISQUS comments as smart stormers(and some not so smart) post constantly
    Category 6

Good luck and stay safe!

RoadRanger likes this.
  13. Just grab your trusty SVT and a couple of 8 10's , point them east , and blow the stinkin' storm back into the Atlantic.:thumbsup:
    Fortunately for me , I'm a bit too far inland for the hurricane stuff to hit me directly but I'm sure we are going to get a good soaking from this one. Problem is , it has already been raining for a couple of days from the aftermath of Gordon here. Oh well , my tomatoes are happy.

JMacBass65, Mushroo and two fingers like this.
  14. I have a place south of Sarasota and was tracking Irma for a week last year prior to it hitting landfall. At one point, we were bulls eye, but the eye ended up missing us by 60 miles or so. Still wind damage etc, but not nearly as bad as it was supposed to be (in my area anyway). The predicted path changed 2 times a day, man it’s nerve wracking. You wake up saying “phew it’s changed course” and the next day it’s heading right at you again.

Board up early, fill the car with what’s important to you and get the hell out of the way.

Good luck and keep us updated.

two fingers likes this.
  15. Prayers sent from South Florida for those in harm’s way. Please, be safe!

two fingers likes this.
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Aw, come on! It's just a wee hurricane, something you've lived through many times, before. You left no voting choice for the Southwest. :confused: ;)

two fingers likes this.
  17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Stepped into Lowe's for something not storm related. There was already a line of people at customer service waiting on a truckload of generators to pull in any minute.

My neighbor told me there was no bottled or jug water at Walmart or Sam's Club.

IF the storm makes lanfall, it's supposed to hit THURSDAY night almost 100 miles from here.

My people are already in storm freakout mode for sure.

18. Subscribing.

If The Carolinas are going to get hit, New York is gonna get it a couple of days later.

Mike

two fingers likes this.
  19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Florence is now officially a Cat 4. ETA Friday morning.
    Hurricane Bourbon - Check!

hondo4life and two fingers like this.
  20. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    best of luck. its going to be a big blow...

two fingers likes this.