Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "I don't care" stage of music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A series of events has brought me up a level in music. I used to play for other people... I did marching band because my mom wanted me to do it... I didn't play in punk bands because my dad is into more of the classic stuff... I had fun doing all that, but I was not doing it for myself.

The past few days, multiple things have pissed me off... and to top it off, i had to get a hair cut today, and that just sucked... so I got home, picked up my jazz, and just started playing... hard. like, slapping like crazy... and I realized that I don't care what my parents, or my friends, or anyone thinks about my music as long as I think it sounds good.

It is like I have been freed from something... its a totally amazing feeling... Anyone else know it?

Oh, and here is the hair cut:

[​IMG]

EDIT:

So what I'm saying is, I feel pretty punk... except that my evil masters made me cut my pretty strands of protien.

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Awwww, what a cute baby face.......................................................................................................................................................................I mean.... dude... right on.

I remember my parents making me go get my hair cut....

I have a surprise for people in a month.

Lets just say it's an update to my most famous thread ever.

Also, Spider-Man is awesome.

PS: My trailer in my trailer park is more awesome than spider-man.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Congrats Mike. You are now at one of the coolest levels of playing that I've ever personally experienced. It happened to me a couple of times in HS. Almost always when I was pissed or something really bad (see death of an old friend) had happened. I would suggest recording anything that you do when you get into that "zone". You'll probably find something really cool.

4. getting a hair cut sucks. I had it growing for 2 years, 9 inches, then i figured, you know what... im tired of ppl thinking im a girl....(I have rosy cheeks, and look like i'ven't gone through puberty, and my hair's really curly..hehe) So, anyway. Sorry bout the hair, screw what ppl think bout your playing, its ok. No matter what.

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    If people actually care about you and your playing, then they'll support you no matter what you do.

I've been through punk, funk, jazz, rock, death metal (VERY death metal), ska, space music, and folk, and my girlfriend, friends, and family have been there with me every step of the way.

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well, I don't quite understand what you are saying.. well, I do, but...

First, differenciate between the music you play by yourself and the style you must revert to to play (and fit in) in any given band.

You said you got pissed off and started slapping your bass like cxrazy, well that is awesome! And it is awesome that you don't care what other people think, play your bass the way you want and play the music that you want to play.

But, if a band comes along that you are interested in, you might have to play a certain way to do the best job you can do for that band... Realize that this wouldn't be "selling out" or comprimising what you would originally want to do, but it is being flexible and doing what it takes to make things the best they can be.

The music I play alone is quite different from what I have been given the chance to do in the bands I have been in. Ideally, I would love to be in a funky-chili peppers type band so I could play with my fingers all the time and slap and bebop to my hearts content... BUT, the bands I have been in were all heavy metal and punkrock and I always found that playing with a pick better suited these bands. Sure I could play fingerstyle with those bands and even slap and maybe it would have added a nice twist to the music, I just prefered pickstyle for better speed and consistancy in my own playing... aswell as the pick sound that the guys I was playing with prefered.

I do see what you mean, and all I can suggest is play the music you want, in whatever kind of band you want, and don't do it to please anyone but yourself... However, do be willing to comprimise somewhat, not for your girl or for your friends or for your family, but for the band.

That is just my opinion and suggestion.

7. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Oh, and I disagree with parents making their kids get haircuts or dress certain ways or anything of that nature. You look old enough to be able to decide for yourself how you want your hair... but then again, I wasn't exactly every parents ideal kid!

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    With my family, they support my playing if they like the style... if i went off and joined a punk band that made it big, they wouldn't brag about me much... but if i got a gig playing with buck owens for a night because his barsist was sick, they would brag about it for years.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Doesn't Buck Owens live in Bakersfield? Maybe if you practice enough, one day you could play bass for Buck Owens. Think about that.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You didnt pay for that haircut, did you?:eek:

:D

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Dude don't sweat the hairdo, I caught the late 80's growing up and the whole mullet thing well, I think if you are under 30 it's illegal in 24 states.....JK ( I am reformed) Dude this goes for anything not just bass, it's ok to do things because loved ones want you to and it's part of growing up. Heck most inf not all of those things are good for you. But if your are not truely happy and doing things becasue you like it than don't do it. With something like bass you can dictate how it's done, you can control it. So play what makes you happy! Or sad, or pissed off, because that's what it's all about.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    No, my mom did... so I am sort of glad she got screwed out of $12... thats what she gets for kryppin on my style yo....

13. Hmm...

I get what you're saying, and I've experienced that many times.

I get it a lot when I play my sax, I just get in 'the zone' and I jam... which pisses my band director off greatly. ;)

I play to satisfy myself... Call me greedy, but it works for me. :D

My mom doesn't care much about my style of hair since I'm on top of my academic life. She just says, "It's your hair, if you regret it it's not my fault".

I grew out of two mohawks (one retired at 9" and the last one at 7") and I've settled down.

Hmm, I seem to be losing my train of thought.

That's all then. Rock on. :bassist:

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played music for myself and only myself since I started (which was about ten). It's a good way to do things.

15. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    not when you're playing bass guitar. go buy a guitar, hippies. all scraggly and nappy, long hair lookin' like a girl

ps: before anyone dosn't get this post. THIS IS ME:

[​IMG]

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    hmmm.....i just quit the band i have been in ofr the past two years.....since i did so last week, i have been sitting at home jamming to CDs of all the songs i have wanted to play, but never could in that band......i feel like a totally new bass player now.....i feel more like a musician.....knda cool feeling, i know just where you are coming from.....i have no hair, so a haircut had nothing to do with this. :)

-Mike