1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "I don't own my own bass." Club!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by perkidan, May 17, 2012.

1. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Title says it all. How many of you in Talkbass land are like me, and due to circumstances beyond your control, you do not own a bass at the moment? I thank the good lord my guitar player has a Tobias Growler he lets me use, and I gig every weekend. SO, no numbers for this club, but lets shout it out to those of us who do not own a bass at the present time.

2. One of my basses cost the princely sum of £40. I gigged a couple of times with it. Not the best but it certainly did the job and feels alright. I have two P-basses that only cost a fraction more and one of them even features in a video of my band.

So, no, I won't be asking for a number because even if I sell my good basses, I will always have one of those inexpensive basses around.
    Some people are too proud, or something, to use that type of instrument. Not me.
    Oh, and I'm not saying you are one of them, by the way ;)
    I'm aware that sometimes life's circumstances are complicated... at one point I had none of my guitars with me. I sold a lot of my gear, and whatever I had left was in storage, for about a year, in another country, while I had only a suitcase with me... It was a complicated situation... but then I didn't have time for bands either...

My sympathies to anyone who is in that sort of situation. I hope it passes quickly.

3. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    I'm a pseudo member because while I play a Peavey Foundation and MusicMan, I gig primarily with my bandmate's Peavey B Quad 5 string. It's just... so gnarly. :bassist:

4. Well, ATM, I could qualify, as I don't have my own, or even the one I borrowed.
    I do have one on layaway, and I plan on getting it out soon. T'aint much, just a Peavey Milestone, but it'll do for now.

5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I donated mine last year, Yamaha beginner RBX bass. I still have a bass case.

6. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    "At the moment" I'm all set, and actually I haven't been a card-carrying member of this club for a good ~35 years or so. But man, I know exactly from whence yer coming!

When I first started playing bass I borrowed an instrument from a bandmate. Then we fired that bandmate, & hired a new one...so I borrowed his bass. Then we fired him, so I had to buy a bass of my own. A year later I sold that instrument, even though I didn't have another lined up, so I would up borrowing a friend's, for like the next two years. Then I borrowed another friend's for another year. Then I bought a bass (bear in mind I'd now been playing bass for 4 or 5 years and this was only the second time I'd owned my own instrument), that got stolen, bought another, that got stolen, bought yet another, that got stolen...so I had to borrow yet another friend's bass, wound up keeping that for 2 or 3 years, finally got a bass of my own that (amazingly) I still own. That was in 1982.

But for a while there it really was touch & go.

7. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    My wife owns every damn one of 'em.

8. If you dont have a bass youre not a real bassist

9. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
  10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have on loan, my friend's '74 Precision-parts bass. I do own 2 others so, I can only look into this club when the door is opened.

11. I own no bass.

Nor trout,perch,cod,herring.........

My sister had a Barracuda for awhile,back in the '70's.

12. Constantly relying on others and always borrowing equipment is so beat. If its a money thing, im sure some curtailments to spending could be made somewhere and a $100 bass could be had in no time.

Cigarettes, beer, you know, the necessities

13. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Well, since I have been spending my money on things like...oh, 6 heart stents, and getting two bleeding ulcers repaired, I guess I am just a deadbeat!!!! I been playing for 30 years and used to own 4 pedullas at one time, but sometimes you do what you have to to pay bills. So, before you speak, know the circumstances.

14. Sketchy

Sketchy

Jul 15, 2010
    Bristol, UK
    I do have my own basses, but in support of this club, I must point out that for some years, Mike Rutherford played a Ric that he borrowed from his friend rather than having his own.

15. mcblahflooper94

mcblahflooper94

Aug 31, 2011
    But people aren't real bassists? I know it sucks, but that's a bit harsh dude.

16. I have a cool story in regards to this. A singer for a band I play guitar in gave me a bass to borrow when I was short of cash and had to sell my gear. He bought it from a friend of his 12 years ago, when the guy was moving. He sold it to him for $100 (Squier Series Mexi Jazz) and peavey combo amp. His only stipulation at that price was to never, ever sell it. That bass has been borrowed by all kinds of people, sent around the country on tours, played with famous bands (famous punk / rock and roll / metal, anyways) etc, and now I get to play it.

17. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There were many periods when Jaco Pastorius didn't own a bass.

18. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, there are a lot real pianist and real organist who do not own a piano or organ. Both are quite expensive to own.

Would it be embarassing for a bassist who didn't own a bass guitar to play bass guitar better than you?

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Did you really need ALL of those heart stents????

A lot of young people don't know what hard times really are. They think hard times are when you have to settle for a 42" TV instead of a 60" TV. :rollno:

20. ecapdeville

ecapdeville

Mar 26, 2007
    Mexico City
    Or the color of the new car... :spit:

I learned bass with my dad´s cheap classic acoustic guitar... just using the 4 strings... hehe... you can do a lot with imagination!...

Now I have 7 basses... all of them buyed with my hard earned money, remember that time and feel quite proud of my achievement... :bassist: :D