Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "I Got A Free Bass Thread!"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XPshychoticXPyr, Oct 12, 2004.

1. So lets here all of you people who have either "magicially", (5 finger discount),given, found, etc...basicially anyone who has gotten a bass new,old,expensive,crappy for free and was very happy about it. Ill start.

I just recieved a Kramer DMZ 5000 Aluminum Bass.

Specs:
    Serial #05955
    Case:Brown exterior with a silver/black lining on edges and a yellow interior with one pocked or stuff. 3 latches one with a lockable latch.

It has one set of P-Pickups and 1 J-Pickup. There are 4 black knobs and 1 large switch at the bottom of the know area and 2 smallers ones in the middle of the know area. This bass is in very good condition there are bearly any blemishes on the face of this bass but on the back there are some small indents and scratches on the gloss finish. The neck is in very good condition with one small blemish on the finish near the head stock. The fretboard has 9 crown shaped fret markers.

This bass plays amazingly with very beefy mids the only downfall is its HEAVY!!!I put a strap on not thinking and it just dropped right no my feet. :p But this thing is amazing from its looks to its feel to its tone!

So lets hear those stories!!!

-Vince

2. Last pics.

-Vince

3. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Almost had a free bass working at a shipping company. Can't recall the brand. But it was a natural finish, $600 bass that some customer almost didn't retrieve within the 30 day 'come pick this junk up or we're throwing it out' period. I think there were 4 days to go when he claimed it.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    My first bass was given me a GTX something. That bass was a monster.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I gave my old Samick five-string to one of my wife's teenage cousins. He seemed pretty happy about it.

6. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    i gave my old johnson p bass to my brother. it sucks but he doesnt care.

7. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I was given an olympic white may 62 jazz bass when I was in high school. Let me see if i can find a picture...

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    My wife gave me a near mint 78 P (white/rosewood) for christmas one year after hearing me say how much I missed the 78 P I had when I was a kid. Then on our 10th wedding anniv. she gave me a late 90s Lakland standard 5 blonde/birdseye/duncans. My wife rocks :bassist:

9. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    Won a Modulus Q5 from ThePerfectBass. You can see my pic on their website.

[​IMG]

10. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    you lucky bastid! :D
    I saw your for sale ad.
    I want that..but don't have the dough :(

11. Sweet guys keep em coming...i wish i could be given a fender 72 Jazz bass...*hint*...*hint*...*hint*.

-Vince

12. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    Traded it for a Pedulla Hexabuzz. Should be arriving today. I'll post pics to this thread, since I'm getting the Pedulla without having to pay for it.:smug:

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My parents bought me an Ibanez EDA905 a couple of years ago with the promise that I would pay them back. I doubt they'll ever remember about it.

14. My sister gave me her Squire P Bass. It's blue, crappy and all mine.

15. A friend of mine told me about when he started going to a new church and he noticed a bass in the corner, covered in cobwebs and dust. He pulled it out and it was a Ken Smith 5'er. The pastor told him that the old bass player left their church and left the bass there too, so he said that he could have it. :eek: He said it had been sitting in the corner untouched for about 2-3 years. What a lucky dog!!!

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've gotten about 7 of 'em, and sent 3 of 'em back, but I shant go into details. Sorry! I'll just say that being on a major label rules! :bassist:

17. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I won a Ernie Ball Musicman SUB 5 string customized bass. ill post pics soon.

18. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    woah..how'dya win that baby?!?

19. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can I hit you? Y'know, in your man-bits. Nothing person, it just needs to be done, you understand.

20. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Haha, i won it at a Emergenza Festival for being the best bassist out of 15 bands. i was very chuffed.