1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "I got this bass at a pawnshop club."

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justice, May 9, 2010.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I know lots of us have found great (and no so great) basses at pawnshops. SO here is a club thread for all my pawnshoppin breatheren...

My current pawnshop basses are....

The Epiphone EB-0 - needed the bridge posts reset and a new nut.

IMG_1769.

The 1998 Fender MIM P bass, needed a good cleaning and a new nut...

IMG_0858.

Ironically, these basses both came from the same pawnshop.

other pawnshop basses that I no longer own..

Vantage 5 string
    Yamaha RBX160F Fretless
    Kramer Duke
    Hamer Slammer short scale
    Ibanez Roadstar
    Peavey T-20

So post up your pawnshop basses.

2. dose

dose

Nov 2, 2008
    Mobile,AL
    Cool idea

3. JVA

JVA

Jan 8, 2006
    Queens, New York
    In 2 unrelated threads I've been praising the Ibanez BTB series as I just bought 4 & 5 string versions in the past month and love them both.
    The_Twins004-vi.

The Black 5 string came from a pawn shop in Torrence, the Red 4 string is from a Fresno pawn shop. Both were found through e-Bay.

Both were amazing deals too.... deducting the cost of shipping and the value of the cases, which both came with, I basically paid about $320 for TWO ass-kicking Basses. It's unfortunate that 2 people had to pawn them, but at least they both found a good home. ;)

4. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    1976 P Bass. Pretty much stock, with rare 4-ply pickguard and serial number that starts with 76 (instead of S6). Picked it up for $300 a year and a half ago. It's so reliced it looks like it's a hundred years old, but is a great player. I wish I had a camera to show you guys.

I also had a MIJ Squier P-Bass that was the same color as Weezer's first album. But, I sold it.

I once found an E Series MIJ Jazz Bass Special that was pretty much perfect as far as I could tell. I still wish I had bought it.

5. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Yamaha RBX-JM2. Couple of minor scuffs, string missing and slightly tarnished hardware that buffed out with duraglit. I had been eyeing one up in the local music store for about £650, but saw this in cash convertors window for £299 - one of those double take moments. Naturally I had their arm off for it.

It's great, but there's still a part of me that wishes it was a 6JM instead.

6. A Musicman S.U.B. Stingray 2003 model, American made £99.99 from Cash Convertors.

7. I got this 80's MIJ Jazz Bass Special at a pawnshop for a ridiculously low price. Great bass. Heck I even like the color now.

3416591989_231d29db70_o.

8. Nice find! And pawn shops are so generally rubbish these days!

9. Jefe

Jefe Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    Scored this '83 Fullerton P-Bass Elite from a pawn shop for $550 with a hard shell case. Needed some love, but turned out to be a good player and MAN does it sound good!

Attached Files:

10. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    CIMG7749.

Gotta know what it is to care... but lets just say i got this for an amazing deal.

Also got this from a pawnshop... even though i can't remember where now. Lol..
    CIMG7593.

11. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I don't know if this really counts, but there is a pawn shop in providence that also contains a guitar shop. Empire Guitar (part of empire loan) for anyone who wants to check out their inventory. They specialize in vintage gear and bring in a lot of good gear. Unfortunately they also know what they have and how to overprice.

Anyways, here is my pawnshop piece (the fretless):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Odder story, I was in a pawn shop one day killing time, and some guy was looking to buy a cheap guitar. I ended up offering to sell him a cheapie I wasn't using so he came back, tried it out, and I made myself a hundred bucks :D.

12. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    basspics024.

13. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    just in case anyone in Houston is interested, i found a black MIM Fender P bass at an EZPAWN yesterday. They were asking $269 for it, could probabaly get it out the door for $250 or less. Didn't look too bad but I didn't take a really close look at it.

14. This bass was bought as a platform on which to learn luthier skills, including defretting and refinishing. It was found in a pawn shop covered with black runny spray paint and with some of the hardware missing..price $60. I defretted it, filled the fret lines with styrene plastic, did a multi-coat refin with acrylic lacquer shot from an automotive detail gun, and learned how to use an airbrush to shoot the black burst on body and headstock. I replaced the pickups with DiMarzios and set up the vol/tone controls as a stack knob setup with separate volume and tone for each pickup, replaced all the hardware with black hardware including a Guild bridge from Ebay, and installed Fender tapewound strings. It sounds great!

Just for grins I entered it in the county fair as a craft project and it won Grand Champion!

P-Jbassfull.
    P-J_bass_controls.
    P-J_bass_headstock.

15. Ken R

Ken R Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Greater Knoxville TN
    Almost every bass I own has been bought at a pawn shop.
    2003 MIA Jazz
    1990ish Fotoflame Jazz
    1983 MIJ P bass
    Peavey T40
    Peavey T20
    Peavey Fury
    Peavey Palaedium
    Yamaha rbx760a ll

I love pawn shop shopping!:bassist:

Ken R

16. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    utf-8BSU1HMDA0NTUtMjAxMDAzMzAtMTUzO.

17. Bought this mid-80's MIJ Squier E series from a local pawnshop 10 years ago for $100. It's been on practically every gig I've played since then as a spare. It's also been my loaner and guinea pig. For awhile it had a BAII bridge and a Mighty Mite maple neck, but now it's back to stock (except for the pups - SD Hot Stacks). Lately, I've been playing it quite a bit.

18. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    Got this in July 1998: A Leo Fender-era (May 1986) G&L Lynx for $290 out the door. It looked even a little fresher than this at the time.

P1010182.

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Never seen one of these. Looks boobies. Really dig the color.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Got this '87 SR800 from a pawn shop in Orlando last year.

87sr80012a.