The "I Need New Gear Sale" -- Yamaha, SX, Fender electric, and more...

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Matt Call, May 12, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay, so I've decided to get some new gear. Primarily, I'm getting a Bongo ( :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: ). I can't wait to get it; but first, a few things need to go for that to happen.

Pics of all items are at:

First is my baby: a Yamaha BBG5S. I can't say enough good things about this bass. It's just amazing. I bought it to replace my MIA Fender Dlx. Jazz 5-string and, IMO, it's everything that was and more. It's in pretty good condition, exept for some wear and a few small marks that are visible in the pictures. Honestly, I have not found a better bass for the money that I spent on this Yamaha. A few "key" features are:

- 24-frets
    - Gold Hardware (slightly oxidized)
    - Alder Body
    - Active Electronics
    - 2 Soapbar Pickups
    - Maple Neck w/ Rosewood fretboard

This bass is honestly one of my all time favorites; but it has to go to make room for new gear. I'd like to get $250 shipped for it. I don't have any sort of case for it; but I'll pack it well. Or else UPS/the UPS store will pack it well.

Next is my SX P/J which has been modified. I bought it from Hambone, whom did all of the upgrades and mods. It was originally a stock SPB62, but it's been upgraded with:

- Shaller traditional black cloverleaf tuners,
    - a black "Slim Tail" bridge from Custom Shop parts,
    - a black Essex neckplate,
    - black knobs,
    - black Schaller straplock buttons,
    - a black phenolic nut,
    - and a set of Seymour Duncan Basslines Active EQ P/J
    (which sound amazing if I may say so myself)

There is some wear on the bass, but overall it's in great condition. The only major problem would be a mark in the neck. It's pretty ugly. I'll get a pic or two of it soon. I have to get my camera back before I can take more pics (imagine that).

A little more on the bass:
    $120 Plus Shipping

Third up on the block is a *MINT* 72 Telecaster Thinline reproduction I bought this new from a local music store about two months ago. I've barely played it, as I play more acoustic guitar than electric (maybe it's because I don't have an amp...?). Anyway, you can check it out on MF for all the gooey details. I'd like to get $525 OBO shipped for it. I will ship in a Fender Deluxe Gigbag and will include all of the tags that came with it, along with a brand new set of Elixer .11 guages. Aw heck, I'll throw in a capo too.

Features of the Thinline Tele:
    -3-tone sunburst finish
    -Dual Humbuckers
    -"custom" pickguard
    -semi-hollow ash body
    -7.25" radius fingerboard
    -die-cast machine heads
    -nickel silver frets
    -6-saddle string-thru-body bridge

Pics of all items are at:

I've also got an EHX Bassballs pedal (not the US model), which needs work. I bought in and was told that the input jack needed some work. When I got it, I did'nt have much trouble with it. The problem I had with it was that the battery leads kept coming off, cutting the power. I'm "tech stupid" and don't even want to mess with it. I really just want to get like $10 plus shipping for it so it's not a complete loss SOLD!

If I can find anything else worth selling, I'll post it up here before I go anywhere else; since TB'ers obviously ( ;) ) get first dibs.

Please PM or email me with any questions/comments/concerns/etc.

Oh, and as far as payment goes, I prefer money orders (non USPS if possible). Paypal is an option, but there are a few obstacles. PM me for details.

Thank you,

-Matt Call

P.S. To anyone in the midwest, the Ford Falcon in my photobook is for sale too. If anyone's interested, let me know. It's going for cheap.

*phew, long post.

I don't remember if I put this in the post or not, but NO TRADES PLEASE.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

I spent too long looking at the Falcon.

3. Mmmm... put me for third on them balls.
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Wait wait wait, ACTUAL 1972 tele, or the repro? If the repro, which one, the early 80's japanese one, or the new one.

I know a kid who would totally get his panties in a bunch over an original or the 80s japanese...But somehow, I doubt it.
  5. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's the new one.... :meh: . Is there a better way to word it? I don't want to confuse anyone else.
  6. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Just note that it is a Fender "1972 Thinline Tele" repro. :)

They are pretty nice guitars. I've been urging my guitar player to pick one up for some time. It's definitely not something to frown upon, but it is not quite as "panty-bunching" as an original. But, if it WERE an original I'd buy it merely as an investment. At that price, you'd make quite the pretty penny. :)
  7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    I'd have felt pretty guilty about NOT buying it. If he found it in his attic, it deserves a real home.
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Is the SX still available? If so, I can't beleive someone has not picked it up yet. Want to trade an Avatar 4ohm 210 and some boot?
  9. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Heres a bump for that SX, if Hambone wasnt already customizing my SX p-bass I'd be all over that thing. He does great work.
  10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah. Awesome work. Seriously, this is one of my favorite basses of all time. I don't know if it's because it looks/sounds so sweet, or if it's because it's just one of the best value basses out there next to Yamaha. One day I'll get another, unless I can find a way to still keep this one...
  11. gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    dont ebay the SX ! Im sure we can work something out :hyper:
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Bump for a really fine bass at a price that is a steal!

I'd get it myself if I didn't have a Lakland DJ5 on order, and I'm hoping to get a Tacoma Thunderchief next. I darn near bought the SX, but I think the wife would balk at me getting THREE new basses in such a short space of time. :meh:
  13. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

All PMs and E-Mails have been responded to. Again, I'm not looking for trades as I have to pay off an incoming bass.

I'm also open to offers people...
  14. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    bump for the yamaha.

I have one of these, and they are fantastic basses if you replace the pickups with EMG DC45's.

Replace the pickups and you have a bass that will sound like a $3000 bass.
  15. PM Re: SX bass. Sorry, I asked for Pics in the PM and then noticed the huge links. :D Nevermind that part, but I'd still like to hear what you have to say about the other part.

Man, I feel like I'm in the mafia. "Tell the guy about the first thing, and see if he can help you out on the second thing, which will make the first thing go more smoothly."
  16. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So... everything is still available. I need to have it all gone by June 12. New price on the SX: $120 plus shipping. That's about half of what I paid. Great deal folks! The Yamaha is now $250 shipped. I honestly feel that I cannot go any lower on the Thinline. It is only 3 months old and I'm taking a $200 loss on it as it is. I also have a PS2 and some games for sale if anyone's interested. PM or email me (I REALLY want this Bongo).
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    PM about the SX.

18. Opaque, You've got an email