1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Ibanez Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ^ It's not - they're DOA.

2. Maybe not all of them. Cobalt flats still sounded bright even after a year of use. Bright in comparison to Chromes.

3. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I still play this 86 model every gig, solid! Though it's starting to show some wear, hehe :)
    20180313_214915. 20181002_190100. 20181002_190132.

slamzilla and hypercarrots like this.
  4. NapBassT

NapBassT Fretless and Ramps

Jan 4, 2015
    SoCal
    Anyone know why Ibanez doesn't seem to be making many basses in Japan any more? The only ones on their website are the SR5000 line and a small handful of signature models (GWB1005 and a few others). There used to be a 4000 and 3000 line not too long ago, as well as other models not imported to the west (like the SR2505M with the maple fingerboard). Even on their Japanese website the Prestige bass line looks very slim, with the only addition being an anniversary model.

Are the Premium and Workshop lines of basses really that popular and/or close in quality to the Japanese made instruments? Or is there some other factor at play?

5. I've owned a Japanese Ibanez guitar & feel like the build quality of my Premium SR is just as good.

6. Jignant

Jignant

Jan 11, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA.
    After several hours at home and a month of band practice, I am totally digging this bass! Light, loud and a crisp articulate even volume across the strings. As my first instrument with what I will call an unfinished neck, I love the feel of the Jatoba. The bass is cutting thru in the band mix while keeping volume reasonable and I am coaxing nothing but pleasing tones out of the BH2s and preamp. This is thru a Fender Rumble 500 head and 4x10 cab. At home, thru my Ampeg flip top, it's amazing! I now need to find a way to brighten up my passive P Bass...
    If I buy a 5er in the future, I will definately be checking out a premium, possibly a semi hollow. What a great bass!!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Farrin D likes this.
  7. First thing to do is check the pots. If they are 250K Ohm (likely), change them both to 500K Ohm. I prefer linear taper for volume, but as they say in Asia, up to you.

I'm glad I tried one & love mine. I've bought & sold other basses since I've had it, but it's staying!

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I think they are. The premium stuff is very nice. I do think the newer MIJ stuff is a step up. But it does cost more and the differences are minor. Either one is a solid gig ready bass.

I dearly love my Grooveline 5 and would put it up against a lot of "high end" basses. But I've had prestige models that were there with a little tweaking (most often tuners & preamp) I am one of those people that just cannot leave well enough alone though. Wouldn't hesitate buying another prestige bass and the thought does cross my mind frequently. Only thing holding me back is money and I don't love the look of many newer models.

9. wolfkeller

wolfkeller Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2013
    detroit
    Back in black with my original bass, 97 SR300. Looking for an old 800 or higher. 15388704320318890324720906273334.

alaskaleftybass and ERIC31 like this.
  10. My SR1200 4 and SR905 5
    ibby's.

christle and alaskaleftybass like this.
  11. Wishing there was a Wiki for basses like there is for guitars:

Guitar models

12. I am the wiki. what do you want to know.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. GroveBass

GroveBass

Sep 5, 2016
    Madison, AL
    Yes, that is the exact one! Still kicking my own tail for letting that one go!!!

14. Are there any MIJ basses with exposed pole pieces?
    Every one I've seen has blacked out pickups.

Are there any MIJ that have soapbar pickups that are easily replaceable?
    i.e. Nordstrand/Aguilar size

edit: 4-strings

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  15. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    the SRFF4505 is MIJ and it has Nordstrand Big Singles exposed pole pieces soapbars:

srff4505.

16. Thanks!

Ah, too bad they don't make those in a 4-string like ESP.

17. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    well... if you meant the multi-scale/fanned fret basses, Ibanez have made the 4 string version for quite sometime, even there has been two generation models already, the SRFF800:

SRFF800_BKS_1P_01.

and the SRMS800:

SRMS800_DTW_1P_01.

Although they have never made one if you must have these factory equipped with Nordstrand exposed pole pieces soapbar pickups like the SRFF4505 and those from ESP.

18. Many of the RB, Artist, musician, TR, RD, etc series had exposed poles and were made in Japan.

If you’re just talking about soap bar equipped more modern Japanese ibanez, then I’m not finding any with exposed pole pieces, but these soap bars may be replaceable:
    SR760. these pickups are called DX-n6/b6 (neck/bridge)
    ibanez-20sr1000-600x800-.

models that use SFR-S pickups not sure if these are bartolini or nordstrand size
    126C8B52-C028-4C8E-9F91-5A548AEA0EC3.
    98-99 SR1010
    99-01 SR3000
    SR4000
    SR840
    98-99 SR5000
    SR910

i can look for more later
    i found this nice list of pickups
    Bass Pickups

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Basstovsky and Killed_by_Death like this.
  19. Thanks, I will check those out!
    Always wanted a MIJ Ibanez, but so far the ones I've tried out all had the blacked-out pickups, which I find lacking.
    Even the Prestige SR has Bartolini's that have been described as more polite & with less output than the exposed poles Nordstrands I'm using now.

I have no doubt that exposed pole pieces just sound better & had a long argument in that regard a while back, LOL!
    My ears tell me it's true.

Looking at Ibanez basses available for purchase, I'm seeing almost exclusively black-out pickups :wideyed:

20. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Hmmm, I get this feeling you like Ibby's...don't know why...just a feeling.....

4 Out of 5 and Aidil like this.