1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Ibanez Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Scroll back a page or two and you'll find that Ivan has.

chupacerveza and Lunatique like this.
  2. The 2 basses are my personal basses, the 2 guitars sold. But yeah, I liked them all. I have another one queued up now, just waiting for better weather and I have about 4 waiting to be redone. Mostly I enjoy the process. When something interesting comes out of it, all the better. :cool:

chupacerveza likes this.
  3. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I can't watch that entire video anytime soon. Where specifically is there a demonstration of neck dive? I'd be shocked if that's really an issue with these.

4. 6 string on order... really looking forward to it.. April can't come soon enough.

5. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I've time-stamped the neck-dive part here (9:46):

Basically the body is chambered and so light that the neck seems to be heavier in balance. I hope it's only diving when balanced on his lap like he did, but won't have that problem on a strap.

chupacerveza, Barticus and lucas303 like this.
  6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Certainly that wasn't a neck dive. It was only demonstrating the balance of the bass on one's lap.

Many would call a bass/guitar to suffer from neck dive problem when worn with a strap but the neck-body balance wouldn't stay put. The EHBs, as well as Ibanez other basses, have top strap pin parallel to somewhat the 11th~13th feet. So, despite the neck is heavy, in case of extended range 5 to 7 string basses, the neck-body balance could still be achieved as long as the strap is used.

7. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes! Many don’t realize how critical the strap anchor point location is, when balancing an instrument in playing position. That’s why I rarely buy basses with short (or non-existent) upper horns.

gzarruk, chupacerveza and Barticus like this.
  8. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    I don't think that's what most people would think of as "neck dive."

9. Barticus

Barticus Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I just ordered a Duostrap from MF, they have a coupon for 20% off ‘NEW2020’ - that you may want to try :)

konfyouzd and chupacerveza like this.
  10. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    I was concerned about that. I have several Wenge neck basses (panga panga family) and diving can be an issue... usually on a headless, the tuning system helps to offset that balance.

11. Barticus

Sep 16, 2017
    NEOhio
    Agree, that’s one of the reasons I like SCs as it can make a 34” scale seem shorter and usually balances well.

12. Lunatique

Lunatique

Nov 23, 2007
    Lincoln, CA
    I always use a strap even when sitting down, so it shouldn't be an issue for me.

I wonder what the actual weight of the bass is. The Strandberg Boden is about 6-6.5 lbs (4 and 5 string), but it's a solid body with a big chunk taken out. The EBH is chambered and has a fairly slim body, so maybe similar in overall weight?

13. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    We'll know soon.

14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    My 5 string Ibanez SRH505, also chambered though not a headless, the fretboard is also panga panga though the neck isn't a combination of panga panga and walnut, but jatoba and walnut instead, the body is Okoume with Spruce top, so it's not light weight African Mahogany with Poplar Burl top, still is comfortably light at only 3.05 kg. So, I imagine the 5 string EHBs would be lighter or at least as light as this.

Lunatique and Barticus like this.
  15. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I need some advice. I've owned a couple of SDGR a 450 and a 650. I loved them but wound up trading them. I recently have been having some fret hand problems and have been looking back at getting one. I have a chance to get a 1995 SDGR 1200 p/j neck thru shipped to me for under $390. The bass looks in excellent shape. It's in FLA i'm in OH. I trust the dealer so not worried about anything being wrong. I saw a couple others same model and year for $600. I know this was probably a $1,000 bass in it's day. It's flame maple top with mahogany body. Thoughts Yay or Nay? Thanks in advance.

gh0st42 and TerribleTim68 like this.
  16. Given that everything is in good working order, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat! Make sure things like the truss rod are not stripped out and everything functions. But yeah, I'd have no concerns if that stuff checks out.

generalduncan and gh0st42 like this.
  17. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    Buy it before I figure out who has it for sale and buy it first! LOL

1200 series Sound Gear shipped for that price is a freaking steal if it's in good shape.

chupacerveza and TerribleTim68 like this.
  18. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Agreed

19. Yay. Don't miss it. If it's not good enough you can sell it for a higher price.

20. SDGR denotes the Soundgear line. The model number is SR1200 & should be on the back of the headstock:

4509301540_6703317813_b.jpg