The Ibanez Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Does Ibanez usually do big new Summer NAMM releases or do they for example just introduce new color schemes for existing basses? I've got some money that's burning a hole in my pocket... :)

2. DC in ATX

DC in ATX Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Hah! Noob soapbar lesson learned right out of the gate. There are almost 300 different soapbar pickup shapes!

The Aero pups that I have are a 5-string P4 form factor:

P4.jpg

This BTB has an MK form factor:

MK.jpg

If all I needed to do was expand the existing cavities, that would be no problem. But there's not an elegant way to fill the width here.

Rather than force the issue, this will be a more typical mod platform. I've ordered MK5CBC soapbars, which are a common upgrade for the stock pups. These will obviously play nice with the hR-5.4AP/918 preamp. I have some Nordy pups on another bass, so it will be cool try something different here.

3. I probably would have just centered them up, you're only talking an extra 1mm on each side for that width difference. Is anyone gonna notice an extra 1mm?

Nuage420 likes this.
  4. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Good point. Let me give that another look.

5. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    From 117mm to 108mm then divided by 2 is definitely not an extra 1mm on each side.

6. I was talking about the width, not the length. He stated he could lengthen the rout easy enough, but was concerned about the width. Unless you use new math, 34mm-32mm leaves 2mm, divide by 2 and it definitely IS 1mm. :cautious:

Nuage420 likes this.
  7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Ah... my bad. He's going from MK routing with P4 pickups. I thought the other way around.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  8. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Right. If you justify these different pups to one edge, the 2mm seems onerous. But if you split the different and center justify, the 1mm on either side is basically a shadow line.

You could even push the new rout to the outside edges of the two cavities and simply build a wider ramp that covers the two 2mm gaps. That's almost an elegant solution. At that point, you can justify doing this:

Ibanez BTB-845V refinish questions:

Finished with the refinish.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    TerribleTim68 likes this.
  9. Yeah, I was just tossing it out there, because if the Aero pups are what you really wanna use, there's gotta be a way. :thumbsup:

Aidil likes this.
  10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Actually, it's quite common to fill in MK routing with P2 pickups. The width is also 32mm like the rest of Bart P size pickups (P2 = 108x32 mm²; P4 = 117x32 mm²; P5 = 127x32 mm²). And, since you are fine with routing the cavity lengths to fit P4 size pickups, even if the routing would go straight with the current lining, the gaps would still be negligible. But, I agree with the wider ramp thing.

Other pickup manufacturers like Nordstrand and Aguilar often would refer to Bart P size pickups when providing their own versions of replacements, not the MK (though Aggie uses D lettering instead of P).

DC in ATX likes this.
  11. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    How well is the nut cut? Even the $2k ANB205 I had needed a little nut filing, and that bass had the best fret work, factory or custom, that I'd ever played!

12. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I’ll check the measurements when I reassemble the bass. It played like a dream out of the box, which is in large part due to the fretwork, neck profile and intonation. It’s possible that there’s room to bring the strings down slightly at the nut, as I didn’t measure it.

Right now, I’m having lunch before getting started to the new pickup cavities. Since I’m only expanding the existing cavities, that shouldn’t be terribly difficult.

Once the new cavities are cut, I’m going to sand off the original finish; do some strategic hand sanding and shaping; and then apply an oil finish before reassembling. I’ll also need to fabricate a new ramp to match the length of the new pickups.

Jon Draffan likes this.
  13. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Oh, duh. I forgot it’s a zero-fret design. That simplifies the nut slotting.

14. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Nice, I've wanted a bass with a zero fret for sooo long. I might install one of these:
    Zero Glide Replacement Nut System

... Or having it installed rather. I am not sure how difficult it is to switch out the ninth and whether or not you need to make sure you have all the perfect equipment. Do you have the 4-1-1 on that @DC in ATX ?

DC in ATX likes this.
  15. DC in ATX

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s a clever solution. It doesn’t look like it would be any more difficult to install than a typical nut. It might even be easier because you’re mostly adjusting the width and height of the nut, which is relatively simple with standard tool. If you need to slot the nut, for the strings, that’s where you typically get into specialty files. Some nut slots, in the neck, have a radius whereas others are flat. That’s a detail that can mess you up if you don’t account for it.

16. since the topic has moved toward nuts, what is the majority opinion of the B string slot effecting the clarity of that ring of that string. I have a 1905 that is awesome except the B doesn't ring out like all the others. I won't play out with it because of this issue.

17. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Try holding down the big string just beyond the knot pushing down against the slut. If it rings more and maybe the slot is a tiny bit too big. This is fixed by putting a tiny piece of paper in the slot itself just a big enough to tighten the slot.

I cut this E string slot too big
    6885A155-4C83-43EC-B697-5FD8710106FF.jpeg

Socobass likes this.
  18. what is the effect of a slot that's not big enough?

19. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    Not wide enough, string won't fit. Not deep enough, the first fret will be sharp and the string will be hard to press down.

Haha! just read my last post about the 'knot' and the 'slut'. Damn speech to text will show you how well you enunciate. Knots and sluts sounds like Shibari or something :p

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  20. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Get a taper wound low-B string whenever there's the option from the string brand you use. But, the taper length has to be as close as possible to the bridge saddle. It rings out the thick string like the low-B. Most of us probably didn't realize the usage of tapered strings is a common practice inside a piano.

Years ago, when Ibanez put on Elixir Strings as default, the low-B was always a taper wound and the taper length is relatively short/close to the bridge saddle, roughly 1½" long. Unfortunately, most other string brands sold their taper wound strings with longer taper portions, ranging from 2" to 3" from the ball end, which resulted in introducing bad harmonics.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    sirdude23 and Jon Draffan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021