The Ibanez Club (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Aug 31, 2013.

Tags:
  1. DC in ATX

DC in ATX Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Austin, TX
    So, I measured for the new routing template, measured for my centers, marked up the top, installed masking tape and glued the pickup template into place—and then I realized that my 1/4” router bit wasn’t going to cut it for the corner radius. It looked like Home Depot had what I needed, but the bit was too deep. :banghead:

While the correct tooling is en route, I went ahead and sanded down the factory finish and wiped on some blonde shellac, mixed from flakes, as a sanding sealer:

1D03FA86-4B22-460B-8C16-E933F410C7D2.jpeg
    77192826-6151-40FC-8675-BEDD537D3BFD.jpeg
    AEB08431-459F-4FE4-A029-2638F6790032.jpeg

Personally, I won’t miss the stained woods. But mostly it’s nice to fix some of the shaping, including the hard edge around the edge of the top and the poorly cut horns. Now the sandwich lines wrap the horns more elegantly, with a proper reveal line. Also, I was able to virtually disappear the ding that caused this to be marked down by Sweetwater.

I’m on the fence about building a shellac finish and the spraying a clear coat for protection. Or maybe I transition to Tru-Oil. Either option will look pretty good. I spent extra time sanding while my shellac flakes were dissolving. So, the prep is pretty tight.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  2. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    So I’ve had this bass for about three weeks now. Originally needed work due to the neck being twisted for a 40+ year old instrument. Took it in to a GC tech that I know does really good work and was able to help me make it playable by sanding the neck.

Overall happy how it came out! Looking forward to reviewing this before sending it off to someone else for a review. Should be fun!!!

E01BFAFC-9337-4F83-A347-0CECE1323740.jpeg
    D12B2927-F66F-45EA-B02A-856CDC21677F.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    StevieMac, Nekomata, kobass and 4 others like this.
  3. Jon Draffan

Jon Draffan

Jun 1, 2017
    I can see from this picture that the routing for the monorail saddles are a lot deeper than I realized. Why do you guys think that more companies don't sink the bridge into the body? I had an LTD D-4 for long enough to be really disappointed by the tone, and I think that that bridge was sunk in a little… maybe it's more common than I think…?

4. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    It seems that the body shape is a bit different from the recent model I have, it's more uncomfortable sitting with the bass? :rolleyes:
    The other thing I can't understand is why Ibanez don't make a model with a different construction than neck-thru and experiment a whole wood piece on the body, and different wood for the fingerboard too, I tried some old BTB with ebony and the tone was killing, even maple fingerboard with bolt-on neck would be something very nice. Right now there is not big difference between premium and stand series, only top wood and electronics :unsure:
    I hope they will make some changes in the near future.
    Cheers!

5. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    By the way just uploaded a new short video jamming with Benny Greb, the BTB was recorded by the TX600 DI through the Distressor, new set of DR String on it.
    I love the growling tone of the bass.
    Let's groove!

Jon Draffan, Rilence and The Petro like this.
  6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Like what? Bolt on? That's the SRs.

They've done it in the past and two of my SRs and both my SRCs are one piece.

Ebony is becoming very expensive, especially as supplies have dried up somewhat, with Madagascar recently banning exports altogether. FBs make no real difference in tone anyway.

generalduncan likes this.
  7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Yes the SR feature several features, but the the BTB 5 strings is the only 5 strings from Ibanez that feature the wide regular 19mm and that isn't a minor feature especially for all the players like me that can't use the narrow strings spacing.
    I disagree with you, fingerboard woods made a huge difference in terms of tone. They influence the tone even more than body woods. There are several videos of big name high end producers that talk about it but the best judge are your ears, take two similar basses, same strings, and play it even without amps, I bet you will ear easily the differences.
    Cheers.

MikeOnBass73 likes this.
  8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    And there are plenty of others who disagree.

They're electric instruments. Unamplified tone is irrelevant to me.

And BTW, my business partner (not in the MI field) is a luthier and he agrees with me. I have 3 carbon fibre basses that sound wonderful, and a friend with a CF acoustic guitar that's one of the best I've ever heard, so I think the whole tonewood thing is overrated. However, we've both had our say on the subject, and it's off topic, so I'm going to leave it at that.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  9. Rilence

Rilence

Jan 20, 2019
    Geelong AU
    Nice, Enrico :)

enricogaletta likes this.
  10. IvanBassist

IvanBassist Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, G&L
    Just released a vid about the SR600E :bassist::hyper:

rugrat, wintremute, gzarruk and 3 others like this.
  11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    ^^ Good review Ivan. It's nice to be able to hear the bass clean so a potential punter can get a real idea what it sounds like, unlike a number of reviewers I've seen where the sound is full of FX.

IvanBassist likes this.
  12. IvanBassist

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Thanks! Glad you liked it!
    What you hear during the finger style, pick and slap samples is just the direct sound with a little bit of compression to even things out and be able to raise the volume without clipping :)!

sonojono and Rilence like this.
  13. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Ibanez should use these pickups on the updated SRMS lines :whistle:

gzarruk and Nuage420 like this.
  14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Bit of compression is fine as it doesn't affect overall tone; some other reviews I've seen have so much distortion and clank I have no idea what the PU sounds like. Though I saw it here first I've been subbed to your YT channel for a while. Keep up the good work.
    Your accent is not German, and I can't place it, so may I ask where you're from originally? Please don't answer if I'm out of line, I'm just curious about people.

KaraQ and Nuage420 like this.
  15. I'm always fascinated by accents too. I watch a lot of videos from that bald headed luthier over in the UK that sells all those fancy tools and builds crazy guitars that usually just hang on a wall, and I finally learned through one of his videos that he was Canadian born, grew up in South Africa and then immigrated to the UK. So his accent, while often mistaken by us idiots in America as "British", is far from it. :roflmao:

Nuage420 and KaraQ like this.
  16. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Some years ago I decided to make a change and taught trades courses at college so I could study psychology during the day. Accents and names were so widely varied that in the 3y I did it, I taught people from nearly 90 countries. Not a single American though.

I know the guy from Crimson Guitars you're referring to. I've learned a lot from his videos, but some of the instruments he comes up with are odd to say the least.

TerribleTim68 likes this.
  17. IvanBassist

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    All good! I’m half peruvian, half argentinean. Born and raised in Peru and have lived in Germany for almost 8 years now

18. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I wondered about South America, but wasn't sure.

IvanBassist likes this.
  19. gzarruk

gzarruk

Aug 31, 2009
    Wow! I've seen many of your reviews through the years and knew you were from Latin America but didn't know you were Peruvian (I am too) lol :bassist:

IvanBassist likes this.
  20. IvanBassist

Jun 8, 2008
    Münster, Germany
    Saludos! :bassist:

gzarruk likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021