1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Ibanez Promethean Series Club: Little Low End Beasts!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Salamenster, Jul 14, 2013.

1. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    So, you have 1000W driving 4 x 10s? I bet that does sound badazz.

I love my P5110, but I got a Peavey MiniMEGA 1000 a few months ago and I have gigged it a fair amount now. Mostly running it through my Bergantino NV610. It definitely pounds anything in front of it.

2. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Yeah I actually own those 2 P5210s and a P5110 with the P110C cab. So I can actually run 1500 watts into 6x10. :)
    I really do like these amps. Don't color the sound.

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Hoarder!! ;-)

tbasstreble11, David A. Davis and Hnz like this.
  4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I dig my P3110, and I'm curious about adding a cab. Since Ibanez (unfortunately) discontinued the matching cab, does anyone have a recommendation for a substitute?

5. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    That's the same thing I was thinking. But for $350 I think I'll just buy another one.

6. Hey gang

Here's a video we made recently. What you can't see, just out of shot, is my trusty little Promethean P5110, with a nice mic on it. That's all you can hear - there's no DI mixed in, and I think it sounds fab.

I've had it for years now, and other than a slightly flaky input jack, I cant fault it for small gigs, recording, and home jamming. Ibanez were on to a winner with this one. They should never have discontinued it.

7. bassnoob180

bassnoob180

Sep 6, 2016
    Hi all. I recently got the P3110, and I love it! However, I notice there doesn't seem to be any change in tone when I turn on the tweeter switch. Anybody have a video or sound sample showing how it should sound with the tweeter on and off? Either there's something wrong with my tweeter or my hearing. :p Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

8. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I've been shopping for a powerful enough combo amp to cut thru the mix and pretty much settled on a Hartke KB15 due to it's 500w power rating into a 1x15 cab. But, after reading thru this thread, I'm wondering if a P3115 could get the job done as well. They're only about 50 bucks difference in price. I know that power ratings are suspect at best so I thought I'd check in with you guys to see if anyone had any experience between the two.

I also have the option of buying a P3110 and pairing it with either an older [NOS] 2x10 Promethean cab or using an Ampeg 2x10 cab. I definitely like the idea of pushing more air with 3 10's but moving equipment on public transport isn't all it's cracked up to be, if you know what I mean . . . :help:

9. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I wondered the same with mine, but it does work--it's just not a dramatic sound difference (at least not with the bass and settings I'm using).

10. Can I get a number please? Here's some pics :)

P3115 - Awesome, actually my favourite all rounder, practice and small gig amp that inspired me to get the 210 combo so I could jack my volume with a familiar flavour.

P5210 - Really versatile, really loud, still really light, really smart looking too. Practice with hard hitters and medium gig rig.

P5210 Head on top of 4ohm 410 SWR Golight (my latest and loudest toy) - fulll size rock rig. :)

amp+cab.

tombowlus likes this.
  11. belgiangiant

belgiangiant

Dec 27, 2008
    I just got one of these combos today, mail order, and did not have a chance to try it out in a store. My -20db switch literally does nothing. Do any of you that own one of these combos encounter this?

All my basses are passive. I feel like I might be missing out on some decibels if this thing is permanently stuck in -20db mode. Also, if it's stuck in 0db position, I'm afraid to ever plug an active bass into it.

Oddly enough, I've actually owned and used the Promethean 110 ext cab that matches this amp for several years. I use a GK MB200 head to power it. I have to admit, I feel like I get more volume out of the GK, which is only putting out 140watts into the 8ohm cab.

Any input and personal experience from a fellow P3110 owner would be appreciated!

12. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    The -20dB switch isn't an input pad--it affects the DI out level. So if you plug the amp into a PA, you'll hear it work. I've plugged active and passive basses into mine; just adjust the Gain to suit. And lucky you--if you have the matching extension cab, you have a nice 4 Ohm 210 system at your disposal!

13. Hi.. i'm interested in purchasing the P3110. just wondering, I currently have a Genz Benz Focus 210 cab at 8Ohm. Will it work with the p3110?
    thanks

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    My P3110 should be here tomorrow can't wait

ColdEye likes this.
  15. Hnz

Hnz

Jul 13, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Me neither!

16. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Any new user updates? So I ordered this based on a friends unit that I tried while visiting him. How does it handle a low B? and has anyone used this with a double bass?

17. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    So far I am liking it. It is pretty loud for the size. I like it with my DB and EB. The eq is a bit limited for my taste and I have not experimented with the phat switch.

fermata likes this.
  18. Have a play with the Phat control. Makes a huge difference to overall sound. I use different Phat settings for my Jazz (4 string) and Stingray (5 string, both fretless) with the same tone control settings, it really brings the amp alive. You can use it to get a full sound but tune out any booming frequencies (like a parametric where increasing the phat moves the boost frequency lower rather than higher). Well worth a few minutes experimentation. HTH.

ColdEye likes this.
  19. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Anyone with a P3110 had the fan stop working? Mine has been getting pretty hot in recent uses and the fan just sits there doing nuthin'... great sound tonight with an EBS 112 extension cab though, I was actually dialling bass frequencies out for a change.

20. johnnychen

johnnychen

Apr 11, 2017
    PA
    Hello, hope it's okay to ask this here, but I'm looking for a Promethean P5110 or something with similar functionality. I really have it in my head that I need a small portable combo like this for practice but with a detachable head that I can put onto one of my beefier cabs if I wanted to.