1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Ibanez Promethean Series Club: Little Low End Beasts!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Salamenster, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Good luck in the search!

Ibanez should have stuck with these - IMO there's a bug gap in the market.

johnnychen likes this.
  2. Find a 5210 and never need another amp

3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The amps are fine but the customer support is nonexistent. Not a single response to my support questions re my failed P3110 cooling fan.

4. Second that. In my experience they will respond if you go through a dealer who is in regular contact with them, but otherwise nothing. Very disappointing level of service.

5. johnnychen

johnnychen

Apr 11, 2017
    PA
    Definitely seems to be true.. I've been exhausting my google-fu and cannot find this model or any of the (seemingly) suitable alternatives of the Promethean p5110

Promethean Clones:
    Redsub bt5110
    Beta Aivin bt5110
    Harley Benton BA5110c

Are there any others you guys know of that I can use to expand my search with? Doesn't need to be exactly the form factor of the promethean like the clones I listed but something ideally with a 10-12" enclosure, a detachable head and at least 250W. I'm hoping to push a 4ohm 15" cab with the head, 500W at 4ohm is pretty close to what I need.

Thanks, I'm looking for the single 10" for the portability aspect. Looks like 5210 has the same head as the 5110 which is nice but don't want to add another bigger cab into the collection right now :(

Also in regards to P3110, I'll feign ignorance and ask what kind of problem would I be facing if I took a P3110 and connected the external speaker out to a 4ohm cab? :)

6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    A dead amp problem. Minimum external load is 8 ohms for the P3110.

johnnychen likes this.
  7. David A. Davis

David A. Davis Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Good question. I've never connected my P3110 to another cab. Connecting a 4 ohm cab would give you a total impedance of 2.66 ohms. I'm going to be putting mine up for sale in the next few days if you're interested.

johnnychen likes this.
  8. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    The wiring of this amp is very different. If there was a way to rewire the external out to completely bypass the internal speaker when another cab is connected?..................hhhmmmmm......

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    johnnychen likes this.
  9. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    Did you contact your dealer?

10. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    No point, it's out of warranty and the dealer is in Germany so all they would do is say send it to their repair department and I'm in the UK. I'd have to pay shipping and repair costs...

11. David A. Davis

Apr 5, 2008
    Summerville, SC
    So find someone local to check it out. If it's only a fan there shouldn't be a problem finding a suitable replacement.

12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    The fan itself is ok, it's just a cheap PC style 12v cooling fan that runs just fine off a battery. It's the control logic that is fried or more probably the thermistor and there's no schematic available. I can fix it myself with the info. But Ibanez aren't into responding to out of warranty queries.

David A. Davis likes this.
  13. Don't use a 4 Ohm you'll under-load the amp and cause problems. I use an Eden EX1108 (1x10 8 ohm). Works fine. Adds a lot of depth. HTH

fermata likes this.
  14. johnnychen

johnnychen

Apr 11, 2017
    PA
    Thanks, so anyway I need a p5110 for my application or something similar.

Anyways anyone have a suggestion on the something similar end of things or will I just need to hang out until someone sells their p5110?

15. Guys, a P3110 Cab WITHOUT the amp should run with another 8ohm cab and a diferent amp?

I just bought a P110C Extension Cab to use with a GSS Baby Sumo Power Amp.
    I´d like to buy a P3110 (which is availiable here in Brazil). So, I should have the option of using it with the external cab and his 300 watts or, my main objective, using only the cab with the Baby Sumo and the P110c ...

Anybody has tested this way?

16. Hi all, I have a 3115 that suddenly stopped working - didn't get used for several months and was fine last time it did, now won't turn on at all. I'm aware of some dicky power issues in my apartment (for example, when I have amps plugged in, my powered monitors intermittently re-boot) and wondered if it may have blown a fuse. I couldn't figure out where the fuse is located? I pulled the head out and opened it for a look but no luck. Any advice? Cheers, Tom

17. I don't think these are particularly easy to mend unless you really know what you're doing.
    If it's under warranty I'd return it to the retailer - my 5110 started smoking after a couple of years, was pronounced deceased and I got 100% refund, but that was under EU retail legislation.
    If not under warranty see if you can find a good electronics repairer and let them have a look.

tbasstreble11 likes this.
  18. String Thing

String Thing Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Based on page 5 para 4) of the manual, I'd say it's internally fused. Have another look. Troubleshooting tips on page 10.

tbasstreble11 likes this.
  19. Thanks for linking that - on page 5 it says ( item 4) ) please contact your dealer before replacing the fuse - which indicates to me that it is possible for the owner to change it?

20. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    In case anyone is wondering (I emailed Ibanez to find out), the P3110 DI is post EQ. Ibanez verified that only the volume and gain controls affect the DI signal.