Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The (idi)odessy begins...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    After much talk and speculation, along with some rather uninspired attempts to wrangle a PA, I finally went and did it.

I'ma be a vocalist. Yep, pawned off some gear (here on TB, actually) so the funds are there for the PA, and thusly it'll be iminent, nay, unavoidable.

What's got me jacked up is that I've been wanting to vocals since I started bass, and have done backup vocals in a few bands; this will be the first frontman attempt. At worst I'll have a PA, right? ... Right?

So, stockpiled material are being translated into lyrics, screams and roars have been practiced, and singing is being helped along by a couple people that can actually do it. (I intend to be playing the kind of music that sounds like a herniated Cookie Monster dragging cats across broken glass in front of a jackhammer).

Should be utterly interesting. I've gotten a ton of support from my friends who assume and trust in my ability to sound like I've got a wolverine in my pants.

I feel sorry for the bassist. Tough position to come into with my bass backround. I honestly hope we find someone a lot more talented than I'll ever be, so I can't give him give him any crap.

This is also gonna be the first time I haven't been a bass player full time; though I still consider myself a bassist.

Going to procure:
    Two Carvin 2x15s
    Yamaha 6 channel mixer
    Already have my Carvin DCM1000 for power
    Sure SM58 mic
    Misc. Cables to hook this bad boy up.

Those are the bare essentials, and if all goes well, I'll add more vocal related gear.
    If you don't think 2x15s are the bare essentials (they aren't I could get by with two 1x15s), then I remind you of the creed by which I buy music gear:
    Overkill. I can always turn a loud rig down, but I can't turn a small rig up.

What am I thinking... I must be crazy. Crazy like an eagle on a pogo stick.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd sound better through a couple of these, if you're going to go Carvin. Without a mid-range speaker in your cab, you're going to lose the very frequencies that make vocals sound good. As we all know, 15s are tone-sucking muff monsters, and this is especially true for vocals. That said, you'd be better off with some Mackie 1521s or JBL Eon 15 G2s if you insist on 15s with no mid. Of course, you don't need an amp for those but, heck, man, darn! You'd even do just fine with some JBL MR 925s or 935s if you wanted to use your amp.

TR1503

[​IMG]

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $$$$ I'd LOVE to go JBL, but cash and I have this love/hate relationship. I love having it, it hates me.

So Carvin gives me a couple loudspeakers for less. I know I'm not gonna be puttin on the ritz, but it's make a big sound. A plus, y'know?

If you've got something super loud and under $369, lay it on me.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh?

JBL 2x15

I'm not so much stuck on a 2x15 as I am the concept of loud. 2x15 is a lot of air moving.

Recommendations for the aformentioned 350ish roof (370 absolute roof)

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, then I'd say the TR1503 from Carvin. Yeah, it's a bit more than their 215, but it's rated at the same power, and will give you a ton of volume while improving your clarity in the vocal range.

The JBL MR series has been discontinued, but I've seen the MR935s (used) in your price range. We use those on top of some JBL MR918 subs, and it's muy loud. At our last big outdoor gig, we were running them at about one-third power, and had a very respectable number of "Could you guys turn it down?" requests.

As we all know, this is the standard measure of whether you are loud enough. Of course, you let them watch you go over to the board and pull down the fader on an empty channel that you left up there expressly for that purpose. It works 93.4 percent of the time.

6. *thumbs up*

my christian rock band uses these. INSANE bang for the buck, youll be pleased. :)

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good fun and all. Any good Price range reccomendations, new? I'm game for used, but looking for the right gear to pop up takes a lot of time, and I'm looking at getting this shizzle started up pretty soon (inside of a month, with any luck).

Game for any brand. That goes for any of you that know PA gear. Stoopid loud, under $370 a pop (350'd be better).

Used; I'll keep and eye out for, but it's doubtful...

8. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So why give up the bass seat to be the front man? DO 'EM BOTH! Woo hoo!:bassist:

Okay I'm under control again. Do 'em both. If you can sing decent backup while playig then you can sing better than most people that audition thinking they can sing lead. It worked for me.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, yes, this was posed back in the day. To this day, however, singing and bass playing go together like oil and water.

I can sing and bass at the same time, but each suffers to a degree to make attempting both futile. So, I could be a sub par vocalist/bassist or a marginal singer or bassist. I'll take the margine. (Maybe someday, but now and for the foresable future, it would be a clusterintercourse)

10. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Why do you need a big PA? I've been in tons of bands where we used a bass amp or one of those $200 'kustom' PA's for vocals and it worked fine. If it's normal for you to have to provide PA at shows then ignore my post :)

p.s. count me in the "don't get 15"s crowd". People who do death metal vocals often make the mistake of thinking they need a lot of lows in their sound but all that should come from you.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. Lotsa shows at armories, bars, outdoor gigs (festivals and whatnot), and just places that don't have their own PA, and a lot of bands have a bad habit of having HUGE rigs (two 4x12 cabs and 8x10s), but then a couple of 1x12s for vocals. I'm not getting the 15s for lows (thems I got handled), it's volume. More speaker area, more push for the pound.

And having my own large-ish PA gives the band flexibility of where (and sometimes who) we play with. Rather than worry about it (who's bringing it, what "it" is, ect), I'll have a PA I can count on, end of story.

The other thing is that what, I have a big PA, another band has a PA, and together the gig has a kickin' PA? My own backline, as it were.

Yeah. I stand by my initial post (re: gear buying creed).

12. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sounds like you'll settle for loud but suck sound. If that's the case, you might as well get the cheapest mics you can get, because they're not going to make any difference in your sound. That said, I still say do something to get a couple hundred bucks more and get the TR1503's. Trust me, loud but suck is not what you want. People will know you suck. They won't think it's your speakers, they'll think it's the singer (that'd be you).

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So those JBLs would still muy suck in your experience/opinion (both?)?

Aside from the TR1503s, any other reccomendations?