Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The ignorance of some people...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, May 20, 2002.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, ok. I'm friends with these two girls, and I became friends with one of their friends -- a guitarist. He's in grade 11 and plays acoustic guitar. We talked about music for a while and a few days later, I actually saw him play something. He used his index finger whenever possible, and attempted hammer-ons by lifting his index off of the fret he was on and then hammering the other fret with his index finger. Deciding to inquire if he'd learned any scales (these usually teach musicians to use all their fingers), he said no. Shocked, I told him that learning scales is the first thing all fledging guitarists should do. He says "No, I have a poster on my wall with all of the chords on it". I try to explain to him what I meant, but he insists that because of the poster, he doesn't need to learn scales. I was talking one of my friends that knows this guy, and I was told that the guy had been playing for over 2 years :eek:.

2. Its frustrating the singer in my band thinks he is a guitarist. worst technique i have ever seen. Its hard because he approaches the band and is like "i have a song i wrote on guitar" and its always the same just pedalling the E because his technique is so poor he cannot do anything fluently. He had lessons too, i'd like to shoot his guitar teacher.

We did let him play a song once and it was bad, completely wrong time etc. The drummer and i were in the groove but the singer was playing off on a tangent. I said to him "listen to the drums dude, he's our expensive metronome" and my singer stood there looked at me and said "phhftt don't listen to the drums....... just play". I nearly used my bass as a weapon that day.....

Subsequently he will stick to singing for our band

Merls

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if this was the old, hard-assed, original-flavor-me, i'd probably say something like "huh, the ignorance of some people, posting a marginally music related thread in OT" and then i'd make fun of someone's weiner as i moved the thread..

but this is the new, happy, mellow, gettin-it-often, married me and so i'd just like to say "howdy folks", tip my hat, and quietly and happily move-a-roni the thread-er-ini over to miscellaneous-a-doozy, where music related threads live in the happy sunshine.

4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    The effects of the marriage have begun...I repeat,the effects of the marriage have begun...;)

5. Only a couple more years until you're hair starts falling out and you'll have to fend off the mini-JT's. Enjoy it while you can.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D sounds like fun

7. Wont be so fun when they vommit on your basses and piss on your amps. :eek:

8. I think that's what the cats are for.

9. Funny Stuff here. Leave JT alone...let him enjoy married life...while it lasts heh.;)

Back to the original topic, yes alot of people are stupid and have no clue. If possible to constructively critcize them and help them develop then by all means do it and see if you can help them. If their egos and subborness doesn't allow them to improve or do things right, the simply get rid of em.
    I once heard that you should never play with jerks or inflated egos...play with friends or musicians you can get along with and are able to be humble now and again.

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Dude, that's funny, can I quote that in my sig?

Anyways, yes, I know a lot of so called "musicians" who think that because they know a few chords, they are pros. I once played with some kids, that couldn't transpose for crap. They had to always use capo's..........and by always, I mean always. (meaning even the lead guitarist had to use a capo when he soloed :eek: ) I once said to one of them, play a G barre chord, and he said he didn't know what a G barre chord was. I mean, I don't expect the musicians I play with to be able to reciete theory like a Berklee graudate, but at least want to play with people who I can say "Let's try this in A instead of C" and they know what I'm talking about. Needless to say, I moved on a long time ago. :D

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I've been here at talkbass for several months now. JT, that was the greatest post yet!:D :cool:

Travis

12. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    JT? with looking ahead to the future.. whos getting your 7 strings??;) ;)
    I know i cant have any.. but can i buy you a 3 muskateer or a butterfinger....pal? ;)

well on topic...
    yeah.. guitarist suck.. you should know that =D
    hehehe nahh some of em are cool.. its just like alot of people who listen to rap and swear east side but are from alaska.... (i know some of these)
    anyway... yeah just kick out yalls lead singer and go hunt down your favorite singer!! NOw!

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    thank you :D

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seems like the perfect opportunity to ask him for a loan

;)

BTW jt, I got another 7. I'm weakening.

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    i once had a very blunt band leader.
    "if you're sh*t, you don't play."
    the guy's verbals were like a coat-hanger; but goddamn, my musical philosophy is based on the above.

16. JT..... you disturb me! "the thread-er-oni?!"

I would've never guessed a man with spikes comeing out of his head could sit down and mellow out...

:eek: