Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The importance of a good demo

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Ruud Das, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Hi all, let me tell you something that really surprised me.

Two weeks ago my band entered a band competition. It was the qualifying round and there were three bands playing. We finished second (with a .1 difference with number 1!!!!), but that's not what surprised me. The band that came in last really s*cked. And I'm not just saying that, they were really boring.
    Anyway, we subscibed for another band competition, where bands were selected by a jury, based on the demos they had send in. I don't think our demo is that bad at all, but I wasn't really surprised when we got turned down (we are more of a live band). But I was completely stunned to find out that the band that came in last at the previous competition, was selected! :mad:

Well, back to the drawing board I guess. It's just a shame, because band competitions are really helpful for starting bands and we aren't really rich enough to afford lots of studio time. But anyway, the moral of the story is: if you are serious about your band, it seems that you do have to invest in a decent demo to get a chance. (Well, it is always possible that people think we just suck, but I prefer the other explanation ).:D

2. I've just finished writing my bands' demo from DAT tape to CD, and I'm going to start sending it about tomorrow.

Though I think, maybe, in that second band competition, the prize would have been free studio time? So the organisers wouldn't have wanted to give it to people who they think would just waste the time, instead, they want to give it to people who already know what they're doing - so, by having a polished demo, the band that s*cked gave off the impression that they were more professional, so they got chosen.

It's the way it seems to work, round here at least.