Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "In" Thing: Boybands with guitars

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, May 22, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've been noticing that there are a growing number of boybands with instruments these days on MTV. What's up with that!? And funnily enough I can't hear anything from them instrument-wise. It looks as though theyre just carrying the instruments while they dance around and sing. Don't tell me this is a growing trend.

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    NO!!! The Monkees did play their instruments!!! *covers ears* LALALALALAALQLALALALA!

Yes, Q.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    He said not to tell him that...jerk. :spit:

brad cook

5. "That's not even Mike Nesmith's real hat!"

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This goes along with the other current trend of pop princesses who "write their own songs" a la Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne...and I'm sure a host of others who are being groomed as the next big thing at this very moment.

Savage Garden was a boy band with guitars...that was a few years back.

brad cook

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    lol! the bay city rollers :bassist: I remember watching their tv show (I think I had the record too) :bag:

as far as the "boy band w/ guitars" thing going on today, I can't believe they call it punk :eek:

8. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Oh, Is cant reed propr! Nor rite...

;)

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    :D

Honestly, I'd take NSYNC over the band who sings that "I'm addicted to you" song. Blech.

10. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Are you talking about Simple Plan, man? Man, what's up with the bald guitarist and his camouflaged pants!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    SHHH! You're not supposed to see him (or at least his pants)!

brad cook

12. I only have three TV stations on my TV. I never watch music videos, and I hardly ever watch TV. Therefore, I listen to music I like all day long and have no clue what you're going on about.

13. Over here we have "Busted" who are exactly what you are on about; a boy-band with guitars.

No drummer either, 'cept in their latest video the singer plays em. Badly. One of the drummers at college was asked to drum for them, she turned that offer down flat.

Anyway, what gets me is they sound exactly like Blink 182 or Green Day or anything else in that line of "punk".

:meh:

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Yeah I started this thread after MTV played a video from Busted. I don't really think they sound anything like Blink 182 or Green Day. I can't hear them play their instruments...Their music sound 100 percent like any other boyband music which leads to the question "why do they carry those instruments in the first place". The instruments and punk look are just a vehicle to promote them and a new trend. I wonder if they play "live".

15. funnily enough I started a poll over on the 4Music forum asking why Busted have no drummer-
    http://community.channel4.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=162603557&f=7926019711&m=7406076212

(er, yeah, I'm "Vanilla Ice"...)

16. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    That's the one. I :spit: on them.

17. Just read that thread.... I'm not gonna ask why you're called "Vanilla Ice"... ;)

"Busted's management require guitarist and bass player age 15-18".

:eek: that a real ad? In the back of NME of all the places that they could have advertised?? Is that not the one place that the readership would be cynical about it? Or are they cool in NME.....

:meh:

PS, Pete - did you have to show a pic of the Bacy City Rollers?? Of all the things about Edinburgh.... :( :)

18. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Haha, you have some explaining to do, boy! :D

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what bands are you exactly talking about?

bp13