The infamous Dutch drug policy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joris, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. At the risk of starting a very controversial topic, I found this quote in Wikipedia:

Although we do have a drug problem here, mainly due to Rotterdam being one of the largest harbours in Europe, our government believes in control, rather than enforcement.

I personally reject the use of drugs - tried it once and never since - , but I am definitely a proponent of this non-enforcement, self-determination strategy. Anyone should be able to decide whether they want to get high or not. Even if it's harmful to society. People do much more stupid things than that.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I'm not sure how long this thread will last either, Joris. ;)

FWIW I agree with the self-determination thing as well. There do need to becontrols though and it looks like the Dutch government has struck a pretty good balance.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It seems to me that there is a lot of misunderstanding about the Dutch drug policy (by Americans I have known) People in the US who are in favor of legalization need to look to the Dutch and try to understand why Decriminalization is very different than legalization.
    I will say though, I feel a little funny posting to this thread - this is a political time bomb (I didn't find this political yet - but somebody will take it there…)
  5. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Drug laws in the States are an abomination.

Our "war on drugs" has yielded direct costs into the 10s of billions, keeps almost a million people behind bars at any one time, increases drug pricing AND real crimes against persons and property and it unecessarily expands the powers of local, state and federal government.

As failed social programs go the only one that pisses me off more than the US "war on drugs" is social security - but that's a whole other story.

Legalize it all - let the markets deal with supply and demand and watch a very large % of violent crimes in the US vanish.

But that will not happen in our lifetime.
  6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That is because so many people would be to busy driving while high and having deadly car wrecks, they would have no time to shoot eachother.
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Why would more people drive whilst high? It would still be illegal to drive whilst under the influence of drugs. But personal use of drugs would not be illegal, I don't think this would affect how many people drove whilst taking drugs, just how many people were locked up for choosing to use drugs in a way which doesn't harm society at all.
  8. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    HA! :D

But no.
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I think it would be great if you could go to the local liquor store and buy a pack of joints (right next to the cigarettes). The government could tax it and everything - yay.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Acctually that is a very valid point... when in 30's alcohol was made illegal... cases of poison/drunk driving/deaths went way up then when it was legal before...
    Think of it like this... if speed limit is 55mph people drive 65mph (i drive 80) when speed limit is 65 people drive 80mph (me? 100+) and so on and so for people PUSH their limits ALWAYS.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

JORIS- Come on my good man. You know the rules in OT. No politic charged topics unless of course I started the thread. :p Now go to your room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.