Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The infamous MTD "roadkill edition" 535. Pics inside!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I did the deal, took a chance and traded steve-o my beloved Sterling for his revived 535. Since there was very few pictures available, and tons of mystery....I thought I would do a bit of a review on the bass.

First and foremost, the repairs were about what I had expected, not so pretty. They are both visable, bumpy to the feel. They do however, seem to be solid. There is a spot I'd like to get some more glue into, but am not about to try prying it apart to get the glue nose in there.....if it ain't broke....

After an hour or so of setting it up (sorry steve-o, you weren't even close), it plays and sounds absolutely wonderful. Don't pick on me for the location of the B string saddle, that's steve's work :D I'll tune the intonation when I can set the bass down for a minute! The bass is really that great. Super tone, exellent neck, quality from top to bottom. Mikey T. builds em right!

While this will never be a museum piece, it is a wonderful player. The ugliness disappears within 4-5 feet, or as soon as you play it. Maybe the best part is, I have a 535 I can gig with, and wont cry if I ding it (or run over it with an SUV :D )

I also must give props to steve-o, he did a great job packing, and was promp with shipping....two thumbs up. I do have one suggestion though, GET A DIGITAL CAMERA!!!!!! I am glad you didn't have one at this time though, because I'm not sure I would have been the one to snag this one.

Anyway, thanks steve-o, great trade, and I am glad you like the Sterling as much as I do. Glad you like my setup work as well!

Can anyone identify the body woods on this? I am no wood pro unfortunately.

Without further delay, I'll present the pics....

2. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I can't see anything ;)

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sorry so big, wanted to show detail.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

5. *Interested in how it looks*

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

7. looks pretty flawless to me,so far.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    last one.

OS, it is far from flawless, it will never see the glory of a museum, but it is a great player.

[​IMG]

10. she looks nice from a distance:)

11. wow, lots of progress since the last time i saw it (when the control cavity/knobs were caved in and such) keep up the good work

btw, did you mean to post this in off topic?

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    One of Steve-o's acquaintences did the work, all I did was set her up.

I posted in OT, since this is more of the end of the questions and curiosity behind it, than to say "look at my new bass".

13. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    nooooooo steve! whyyyy?? damn, shoulda offered a trade for my ric... damn i love 535's!!!!! most beautiful basses ever. but i'm glad you guys are both happy.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    *sigh*

Could someone please make this into avatar size for me? I can't figure out how I did it last time, and it is driving me crazy trying to remember how to get a file that small.

[​IMG]

15. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    See if that works.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ty, it is still too many pixels, the file size is right on, but it has to be a max of 75x75, I tried downsizing it, but it made it like 13,000 bites again.

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Argh!

How 'bout that??

EDIT:

Hehe...I know it works now cuz I made it my avatar for about 10 seconds:D

18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks Ty, I owe ya one :D

What prog do you use to do that?

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Hehe...I used the demo version of PaintShop Pro that came with my new Dell PC. Beleive it or not, you can even use MS Paint to resize an image, as long as you save it in either .gif or .jpeg format. Basically ANY image editor will do, but the key is the format its saved in. NEVER save in .bmp format--it's huge!!!

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Some fixed up cars are "night cars", that's a "night bass".