1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The infamous Scale length

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mikio, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I have a little question

today I played an Artcore bass... it was sweet man, but it's 30" scale

so my question is... would that be something to be worried about? 34vs35" isn't a big deal, you can almost not tell when you're playing [at least I don't feel it that much, though I feel sort of better with 35]

but, if I get a 30" scale Bass... would it spoil my technique in any way? would I be hitting the wrong notes on it? or if I play it too much, in my longer basses?

2. bhernco

bhernco

Mar 1, 2008
    Hawaii
    I find the shorter scale to be faster, but I have no real problem going from 30" ( Alembic ) to 34" ( Warrior. )

jazzyvee likes this.
  3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    thanks

I think if your seeing what you're playing, it shouldn't bother, but if you're reading or playing live, standing, and not watching your hand... it 'could' get in the way

but well, will have to live with it, haha

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    One way to look at it is that, any time you are playing a 34" bass above the second position, you are playing the same fret spacing as on a short scale. You will adjust, and even be able to go back and forth with practice, as noted. I've got a 30" Gibson, a 34" fretless, and two 35" 5-strings. It takes a couple of minutes to adjust, then you are home again.

5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    short answer, no. nothing to worry about.

think of how many bass players switch regularly between guitar and bass..

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    that's a totally different story, I think

when you're playing guitar you're playing guitar, and that's it

but if you're playing a shorter bass.... it's still a bass... I don't think you get my point lol

thanks 7flat5 ^_^, I thought it was something like that... I was worried about switching basses live, so I guess I won't be doing that with basses that are too short

7. Implosion

Implosion

Oct 19, 2007
    Finland
    The guitar vs bass comparison holds in my opinion. Would it cause you trouble to play the same thing on a guitar that you would play on a bass? I don't think so.

8. No real difference. I actually like to play 30s more these days. You can get 30 inch short scale strings of any type and any gauge just like the long ones (www.juststrings.com, www.bpstrings.com). If you really like the bass, then I'd say buy it.
    Just be sure to get a bag or case to fit it when you get it. Some of those semi-hollow things are near impossible to get a matching case.

9. Throckmorten

Throckmorten

Aug 3, 2006
    Central NY
    No problem. As others have said. Personally, I found a 35" harder to adapt to, and I would hardly say that was really hard :)

Enjoy that short-scale, you may get hooked.

10. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I play 34 and 30.75 scale basses and use them both on the same gig and don't have transition problems. I have more of an issue with string spacing differences on 34 inch scale basses.