The Inner Game of Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The Inner Game of Music written by Barry Green.

"By the best-selling co-author of Inner Tennis, here's a book designed to help musicians overcome obstacles, help improve concentration, and reduce nervousness, allowing them to reach new levels of performing excellence and musical artistry"

Have you ever read it? I chose to read it for my summer reading assignment for school.

I was wondering if any who have read it have found it helpful. Does it have useful information?

Just want to know what any of you think about it before I get it. (I'm still going to get it no matter what, but I'm just wondering)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I read it years ago, and I found it to be a pretty nice book. It centers on unleashing the inuitive musician within, and on recognizing the dichotomy between the modes of "thinking" and "doing", with the focus on transcending thinking while playing. I liked it, but some might brand it as slighly New Age or "Crunchy Granola" ideology. The book is a kind of sequel to Timothy Galloway's (sp?) "The Inner Game of Tennis", which was a great book for me in that it helped me understand the similarities in the mental processes of two seemingly disparate activities - Tennis (athletics) and Music (art). Highly recommended if you're into that kind of thing.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds a bit like "Effortless Mastery" - which I have found great for the meditation exercises but less easy to put into practice. (Must finish it!)

I was on Jazz SummerSchool last week and this sort of idea came up a lot - especially with the bassists.

I think the point is that, you can learn all about theory, practice for 4 hours a day for several years etc - but it is all wasted if you get nervous/anxious and clam up whenever you get on stage.

The course leader was advocating warm-ups where you try to make everything easy and as relaxed as possible; one of the bass tutors said that Tai-CHi had helped him relax so that no matter what tempo and how difficult the song was, he still had time to be aware of all the options available.

In the end I think you have to find the way that suits you and means that you don't panic when playing and waste all the preparation you have put in beforehand.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    sorry but i really had to bump this with all the audition jitter threads.. i was going to start a thread about this book (i read it in high school and helped me make all-state jazz 3 years in a row) but did a search first...

it's a great book..

5. DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I started the book but didn't finished it. I have read similar books dating back to Psycho-Cybernetics back in the 70's. Modern books you might like are Victor Wootens The Music Lesson, Effortless Mastery already mentioned, Zen of Guitar, Free Play, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and more. There are some books on Indian music that come at the topic from a spiritual POV. Like Autobiography of a Yogi that Coltrane was into for awhile and Jazz players from 70's on have been reading.

In general all these books cover better use of your mind and learning to let go, trust, and let the music flow. Which is far harder to do than it sounds. Learning to totally focus on the music while playing, blocking everything else out including your own ego.
  6. sackvegas

Dec 1, 2006
    I just finished The Music Lesson and found it was a pretty good read, I would recomend it
  7. makkE

Jan 19, 2010
    Normandie, France
    Diggin this up once again, because it's good.

I have learned more about music in the week I had this book than ever before. I even realized that I CAN sing - a thing you wouldn't have heard me say before.
    Check it out, or any of those books mentioned above, they talk about the same thing it seems.