the ins and outs of Soca bass playing...

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by joebar, Jan 14, 2015.

1. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I wasn't sure who to ask about this topic.

I have been playing bass for 30 years and have a solid understanding of the instrument/ music and rhythms as a whole.
    musicians complement me on being a good player.

I am in a situation where the music is heavily based on soca/calypso/ reggae.

I think like a swing/jazz bassist; I tend to bounce and swing things a lot by default.

I feel like when I approach soca, it comes out as a hybrid; sort of a swing/soca blend which sounds good, but isn't authentic like some the basslines I have listened to. I find that latin- jazz root/five type lines work well with soca and that is fine with me.

a lot of bassists playing soca seem to not play on the beat; it is like everything is a tad late giving the music a free form and a lack of definition in the harmony. it seems more concerned about rhythm than harmony.
    I come from a completely different line of thought.
    there is not a lot of info out there on this genre.
    I feel like I am not getting a piece to the puzzle; I can play everything fairly well. I want to play this style with conviction. I need a revelation.

any advice about this would be appreciated

regards joey

old spice likes this.
  2. Jfever

Jfever

Feb 28, 2015
    Maybe post in the general forum? I'd be interested in the response as well