1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Insane Quest for Tone!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by baddarryl, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I mean really, one guy picks up a bass and loves the tone, another picks it up and hates it. If I read these forums long enough I will start to question my own tones. I mean, the amount of $$$ and effort many spend for that magic tone when 95% of the audience could care less or not notice. I get it to some degree, but most are splitting hairs. Talk about dogs chasing their tails! How far have you gone or others you know?

2. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    In 25+ years of playing live, the majority of bassists I know (outside of top-tier touring or studio musicians) only own one or two basses and “an amp.”

I think there’s some kind of virus that’s downloaded into you the first time you log on to TalkBass! :D

Beej and Torrente Cro like this.
  3. I wonder how many people are just searching for a tone that sounds nice while they're sitting around noodling solo at home..

I've done that a million times...and in 99% of the results that tone never worked as soon as I fired into a mix.

Usually the tone that works best in the mix is one that I don't particularly like solo.

Wisebass, Sub300Hertz, Beej and 2 others like this.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    P Bass with flats.

lowplaces and Nashrakh like this.
  5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    The quest fir tone is never ending.
    Drummers go thru this trying to find
    the right cymbals.

Austrobass likes this.
  6. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Bingo!

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Unless you're playing small bars and clubs, your bass tone has a lot more to do with the person running the front of house than it does your amp or bass.

And when you're playing small bars and clubs, it usually has a lot more to do with the room you're in, than your bass or amp.

Being meticulous about one's tone is IMO a sure recipe for unhappiness.

The only exceptions to the above, IMO, are if you don't know how to get a decent sound out of your bass in the first place. And/or if you have a very good relationship with your sound person. But even that's iffy.

8. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    If I could just sound like Prakash John on "Rock'n'Roll Animal"... I know I'll never be able to play like him! :)