1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the insanity continues

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bass dan, Mar 2, 2008.

1. never satisfied..... lately i have really been able to dial in a good db sound using a rev solo pickup into a contra, why cant i just leave it alone? now i decided to get the h clamp and mic my bass with a sm 57. the h clamp thing is great, i was having trouble with a boom stand and the sm57, never could get it in the sweet spot, the h clamp solved that problem, i got a really nice natural sound running it into my contra with a xlr to 1/4 inch adapter. so what do i do for the gig last night? run the mike straight into a berhinger pa.:meh: it was to boomy and undefined, i guess thats what the hp filter is for on the contra, which i left at the house because i figured i could just run straight into the pa. now i want a series III coda so i can run my mic into one chanel and my pickup into the other. does it ever end? i have also noticed that i change my strings about 3 times a week, from obligatos to ub blacks, to spirocores. :rollno: the crazy thing is i have not been dissatisfied with the different strings or my amped sound (at least lately) yet i continue to tweak and obsess about getting it better. anyone else doing things like this or am i loosing my mind?

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    It is an obsession shared by many for sure.
    I've been bitten as well, buying new gear in the search to get 'the sound' trying the mic thing, different pickups etc.
    With no gig last night I went out to see two of my favorite local jazz bassists. One was either using an Underwood or Realist into a GK 150. The other, an Underwood into a Contra II. I was listening to their playing, not their sound.
    There is a lot to be said for just plugging in and making music.

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think it's safe to say that you're not the only one. :)

4. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    My personal xanadu of tone is Paul Chambers on "Coltrane's Sound", safe to say I have officially "given up".

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I spent almost $200 on a PlanetWing pickup this week. Haven't even taken 'er out of the bag yet. Not because I was terribly dissatisfied with my amplified sound, but because I wanted to hear it with my own ears, so'z I could stop wondering about it, and free up that mental bandwidth to wonder 'bout something else.

Then I did a gig Sat. w/ my old p/u and mic, and I loved the sound. So did everyone else on the gig. I told myself on the way home the PlanetWing would have to be mighty good to sound any better. We'll see.

Hehe ... Then there's my dear friend Alan Heckle. We call him "Handsome Al." Why, I don't know. He ain't so hot.

But check out his guitar amp collection (and vintage muscle car).

1965 TRI POWER, 4 SPEED GTO

AMPS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:

FENDER BASS AMP 300 WATT SOLID STATE
    FENDER SIDE KICK BASS AMP
    FENDER TWIN REVERB - 1970
    MARSHALL 30 WATT
    GIBSON MASTRO -1962
    ROLAND MICRO CUBE
    FENDER BLACKFACE VIBROLUX REVERB - 1964
    FENDER SILVERFACE PRINCETON REVERB - 1970
    FENDER SIVERFACE CHAMP - 1970
    FENDER DELUXE REVERB BLACKFACE - REISSUE -APPROX: 8 YEARS
    FENDER 4 X 12 SPEAKER CABNET
    FENDER SUPER REVERB - 1970
    HARTKE BASS AMP WITH 4 X 10 CAB
    ROLAND 60 CUBE - GUESSING 1980
    FENDER BLUES JR. ​

Not pictured - his Harley.

And my wife thinks I have too much s^&+. Durn.

Attached Files:

6. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Why is it the A list players in my town have a nice bass, a combo amp and maybe a mic on occasion? :meh: They know that the sound comes from the fingers and the bass. I suspect their sleepless nights are due to their chops and not their equipment. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely where I want to be there so I'll spend a few hours shedding today, and tomorrow. Back to Simandl.

7. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yeah...I feel if I can't buy ability, I can at least buy gear :meh:

8. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Steve Davis is the bass player on Coltrane's Sound.

9. \

That's a pretty good start. :D:D:D

BTW that v front gibson amp kix azz, I had one I sold about 15 years ago, wish I still had it. Mine was MINT and tweed, and I gave $75 at a pawn shop, kept it a few years and traded it even for a Martin D35.

Johnny

10. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    . . . and that further underscores that even the most amazing musicians go through periods of unrelenting tinkering. As noted above, John Coltrane tinkered with his band before arriving at the Great Quartet . . . which only lasted for three years, and had "visitors" even during that period.

And mouthpieces! Bags and bags of mouthpieces!

And don't ya know what, no matter which piece he popped on, he sounded like John Coltrane . . . .

11. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    I heard that Bird was approached by a fan who claimed that he could play like Bird if he just had a better horn, or mouthpiece. Bird just grabbed his horn and broke the end of his reed off and started to play, and sound like himself.
    The best players can play anything and make it sound good. The rest of us need a little help.:help:

12. it is in the hands and not the gear. on any given day i can pick my bass up 3 or 4 different times during the course of a day and feel different about it each time. sometimes i play it and think "wow, this sounds really warm and nice", a couple hours later i can play the same thing in the same room and think " wow, this sounds like crap" :confused:. i guess it's just the nature of the beast. what a great and also frustrating instrument, all the variables make it very interesting. how relaxed am i? how am i standing? what part of my finger am i plucking with and what part of my fingers are playing the notes? really enjoying learning to play although the G.A.S. pains are killing me.

13. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    As a rule, man is a fool.
    When it's hot, he wants it cool.
    When it's cool, he wants it hot,
    Always wanting what is not.

From a Nat "King" Cole album, "Wild is Love"

14. dblbss

dblbss

Sep 20, 2007
    Canada
    Milomo you're right,

What I meant to say was "Coltrane Jazz".

my mistake

15. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I don't have anything profound to say like Sam or clink, but I genuinely enjoyed reading their comments.

So I'll resort to a somewhat lower form of thinking for now. Not enlightening, but maybe entertaining. Here goes.
    Funny you should pick out that amp. Handsome Al Heckle and I were both members of a jump blues outfit about ten years ago. We recorded a CD in a modest home studio setting. I remember he used that '62 Gibson amp on a few tunes. We put that amp in an "isolation booth" w/ one mic in front of it. The iso booth was a Chevy van with the amp and mic in the back and all the doors and windows closed. :D

Oddly enough, that CD was written up in Billboard magazine. My name in print. But I don't think too many people noticed, and not much ever came of it. I bought three copies of that Billboard issue though.

Now if I could just convince him to carpool to one of our gigs in that '65 GTO.

16. Could you get your UB in a GTO????