1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Insanity Gets Worse! (Akai Deep Impact)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Empire Prod, May 11, 2010.

1. That's nothing :) Check the completed listings. The last two that I watched sold for $1100ish

2. colicab

colicab

Sep 18, 2008
    people want to be Muse fanboys that badly eh? Geez, at that price, it's kind of exceeded its musical purpose, no? it's just a bass synth effect pedal that makes cool farty noises! ***?! i like pedals, but not that much.

3. It should be noted that, though people don't necessarily fanboy as hard for them, Mike Gordon and Paul Turner also still use Deep Impacts.

4. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    KORG G5 > Deep Impact...

carry on.

5. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    While it may not be practical for Akai to produce these anymore, the pedal is obviously highly desired. Couldn't a smaller, independent builder do pretty well by licensing the design from Akai and building these one at a time? Are the components that expensive?

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Depends on your needs. For hip-hop, G-Funk basslines? Absolutely. For all of the cool vocal filters? Yep. But the G5, BMS, Octavius Squeezer and DI (I've had each one as one point) all sound very different from one another and nothing I've heard yet does quite what the Akai does in terms of bouncy synth tones.

True, and while I'm not a huge Phish fan, it was Mike Gordon's use of it that made me want to check one out again. But while there are certainly a lot more uses for the DI than recreating Muse lines, it seems clear that Wolstenholme's use has definitely made it more sought after and driven up the price just as Justin Chancellor did with the Bass Whammy.

It isn't that the components are expensive per se. The DI is a digital pedal and the DSP is proprietary. Akai could license out the coding I suppose, but I can't see there being any profit margin in a small builder (even one who had the pedal building and software knowlege) trying to recreate something like the DI.

7. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
  8. That one ebay auction is worth more than what I payed for all my pedals combined...:cool:

9. I think Akai should at least release it as a plug-in.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    yup. listen to the red lights league of everything album- people have mistaken those synth sounds for a minimoog. its all G5.

ive always said, the deep impact sounds and behaves like a $100 pedal. i did at once pay $550 for one, so i do love it, but even at that time i still was saying- it is a $100 pedal at heart. the G5 is a totally differnt ball game, far superior sounding.

11. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
  12. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Uh-huh... yep.

13. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I agree that they are WAY overvalued. But ... are you sure that comma is supposed to be there?

14. He means $845.00. I think the comma is a European thing.

15. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Europe uses commas instead of periods. IE 845,00 = 845.00

16. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    I think it is funny how everyone says the G5 is better...

For it's uses, and in it's place it is. The deep impact is a great pedal, and I use it all the time, for cover purposes, and for originals.

I want another as a back up, but I don't want to shell out $1000 for a spare...

17. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Totally agree.
    I played through a Deep Impact at the MF clearance center and said to myself, "This thing can't compare to that Korg I have." Fwiw.. they had stacks of them they were selling for 100.00 and even more that were broken and for sale for much less. I wish I had grabbed them all but NEVER in my wildest pedal flipping dreams did I imagine that these would ever be worth 500.00 dollars, let alone 800.00 or 1000.00. :rolleyes:

The G5 does its own thing and they aren't comparable on all fronts as was noted in the response to my first post here..
    I just have add that for ROCK/Distortion tonez G5 > DI.
    It is an AWESOME "distortion modeler" and I don't think enough people use it for that for it to be known.

:bassist:

18. Hector_G

Hector_G

Apr 6, 2009
    El Paso, Texas
    Ok so I've read so much about this pedal and it's wonders. I have a couple of questions about it.
    When was it originally produced and how much did it go for back then?
    I had no knowledge of its existence until I joined TalkBass.

Did they sell it through Musicians Friend or anything? I have a couple of REALLY old catalogs that are put away somewhere. It would be interesting to see again how much equipment was back then. I gotta find those.

19. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Twist or Stick Deep Impact owners? Are you going to selll yours are you brave enough to hold on for another year or two?