1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The insanity of USPS tracking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by petrus61, Mar 13, 2015.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

For some perspective, I live 1.5hrs north of Middletown, NY. That means my package traveled 1hr south of Middletown to White Plains, then traveled appoximately 1hr north again to Wappingers Falls...only to be shipped 2 1/2 hrs south...to NEW JERSEY! I know this might be a little hard to digest geographically for anyone not in NYS, but...

image.

I can understand the basic logistical necessity to ship to a major distribution hub, but this is insane! This is a semi regular occurance for some reason. On the same day I ordered something from literally one hour south of me, I ordered something from Arizona and from Ohio...both of those came today!

Anyone else wonder how their gear made it to them at all, let alone in one piece after a zany adventure in the back of several postal vehicles???

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looks like a package I recently shipped to a TB'er!

It stopped for about 4 days for some reason. The status said 'delayed' for a while. Then they added 6 days onto the expected delivery date and it changed to 'ON TIME!' lol!

3. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    They all do it. Watch the routes that stuff from UPS, FedEx, Amazon take. I've seen stuff leave Wichita, go to KC, fly to Lexington, fly to Indianapolis, fly to Omaha, and truck to Lincoln. And somehow this is more efficient than getting on a truck and driving north for three hours right to Lincoln. But since my Amazon shipping is free they can do whatever they like as long as I get it on time.

4. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    no lie.. I had a package come from Ontario Canada to me in Portland recently..

It took 3 days to hit the border in Chicago, then it took a further (no lie) 13 days to go from Chicago to Portland.. small 1lb package sent via "Expedited" service. Sigh.

5. sml1226

sml1226

Feb 24, 2015
    Illinois
    I haven't had anything quite this crazy, but I have had plenty of things go from St Louis to Indianapolis, confusing me to no end. I live at essentially the middle of the fastest route between these cities, and have a fairly large FedEx and UPS sorting facilities here, yet things seem to go right on by me.

Customs are fun... I've seen it go both ways. Sent something to Austria and it took 2 days to get there, and 2 weeks to clear customs. Had something coming from Japan and it took 3 or 4 days to get to Chicago, only to sit there for a week before being released.

I absolutely love when that happens as I always have to sign for foreign shipments with USPS, and I'm never home expecting things that have been sitting there not moving for a week or more.

6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Looks like it arrived at Wappingers 12590 but was missent to that station or the carrier thought the address didn't live there or had a change of address order on file, that was the 7:46 scan. The 8:58 scan was the clerk reporting that everything was distributed and the carriers could pick up their parcels, the 9:08 was that the carrier whose route the piece was assigned to had reported he was now on street time and no longer in office preparing his mail into route orde, loading is considered street time and not preparation time for the postal service and is a big deal. The 10:45 scan was the clerk scanning those items missent to their station going back to the distribution hub to be sent to the proper station for delivery. But it looks like in this case the carrier was either returning the piece or sending it to the central forwarding unit to be sent to the change of address on file. A big problem that the arrival at a station scans triggers a out for delivery report when if it was in that 5% error rate it is not

7. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    2 day package shipping Aug 10 from LaFayette, LA to Dalton, GA:

Yesterday (Friday the 14th)
    Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 8.47.51 AM.

Today (Saturday the 15th)

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 10.56.56 AM.

And they want to run your healthcare...

petrus61 likes this.
  8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Yeah, this stuff is all based on their hubs. I've watched it and said WT? but then realized what was happening.
    I've also gotten a notice from FedEx that they would have to delay my shipment for weather, and saw a FedEx truck 1/2 mile from my house that afternoon. WT? x10 !

9. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    You can read that and know what's happening?

10. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Well, sorta. You will see location codes on their stickers just like you see on your luggage if you fly.
    In other words, whether package service, USPS, or common carrier, they ship to distribution hubs.
    It may seem like a circuitous route, but it's not like if I order something in Seattle, it comes on a truck direct to my house in Tennessee.
    Anyway, my statement was a general observation that didn't give all the details as to how I put this together in my brain. It took four lines for just this much. :D

11. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I get hubs, but this package started in Lafayette, showed in Dalton the next day (Dalton is not a hub), then Lafayette the same day, then out for delivery in Dalton the next day, back in Lafayette the next day. Estimated delivery date was showing as Thursday on Friday. Now showing in Lafayette today but estimated delivery in Dalton today.

12. RustyNails

RustyNails

Jul 22, 2015
    Las Vegas
    The last package I got was shipped from Reno, NV. (I live in Las Vegas, NV)

It went from Reno to San Francisco to Los Angeles to PHOENIX then finally to Las Vegas.

Pretty sure you have to drive through Las Vegas to get to Phoenix from LA.

13. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    @ nutdog
    Lessee, are you on the La. end , the shipper ? Dalton Ga. and Lafayette Ga. are nearby towns. Might that be the confusion ?

14. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    It's about logistics too. Something smoking is leaving from Bay 12 in half an hour, and your package gets on board.

Granted not the shortest distance but overall inexpensive and reliable.

In re' "they" want to run healthcare', most of the world offers medical to its citizens.
    In America, we do it with a profit incentive.

15. nutdog

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I'm in Dalton waiting on the package. Sent from lafayette Louisiana.

16. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Man, that IS confusing. I live on Monteagle Mountain, we have had a couple of glitches lately that have made no sense.
    I had a package come from Texas a couple of weeks ago, Dallas, 1 day. Atlanta, next day. maybe a Thursday? I was supposed to take delivery the following Monday, a week later, no package. I talked to the girl at P.O., she said it was "stuck" in Atlanta, then showed up at my house the next day. A letter was declared deliverable, before it even got to our zip code, and the address was corrrect WT? Maybe their system IS gooched.

17. I got a letter from the hospital that is literally two miles away from me. I know, because I walk to there for exercise & use a pedometer.
    It was sent to the state capitol, 100 miles away & then sent back here, because I live in the City & the hospital's address is in the County.

18. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    there is always these guys..... ups-oops-logo-parody.

19. I've had UPS drop a bass guitar off at the wrong address in the rain w/o getting it signed for. The folks at that address weren't at home, so I ran over there in the rain to retrieve my bass. What ticked me off the most was that they weren't in the least bit apologetic about it.

UPS.

Jah Wobble Fan and wmhill like this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    So basically, your bass went on tour without you.

RustyNails likes this.