Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the instruction video....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by yasdee, Apr 6, 2001.

1. yasdee

yasdee

Nov 7, 2000
    well im playing bass for some time and i want to improvise my technique in my bass playing..does you guys have any suggestion for a good video (i.e fast slapping , double thumb ..etc)for intermediate player...ive heard that victor wooten is the best..thanks for any replies...

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most videos are more kind of inspirational videos than instructional videos. They provide some insight into a player's technique but don't have that much didactic value IMO.
    There's one exception I know of, though.

The Slap Bass Program by Alexis Sklarevski
    The B.I.T. faculty member offers a well-paced approach to slapping, from the basics to very advanced stuff.
    Perfect for slap novices and even pros can get something out of it.

Wooten's <b>Super Bass Solo Technique</b> is less organised, but still offers a lot of help in getting to know his approach and techniques.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Stuart Hamm's "Slap, pop and tap for the bass" from Hot Licks Video is a really great option. It's not just an inspiration. I think that Stuart is a great teacher. He's my biggest influence and i owe it to this excellent tape. He also has a second tape, "Deeper inside the bass" also from Hot Licks, but you must try his first before getting into this one.

Good luck. :)

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    For a good intro to different ways of grooving, check out Rocco Prestia's Fingerstyle Funk.

Will C.:cool: