The intro in Sweet child by GnR

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Jan 4, 2002.

1. I've recently become obsessed with the intro bass line in Sweet child of mine by Guns n Roses. Does anyone know how to play it, have it on tab or notation and wants to share it before I cave in and try to figure the damn thing out by myself.
    By the way, the only thing I found on the net for this song was a tab posted on tabcrawler, it didn't work for me, it just didn't sound right.
  2. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    i have it on tab. i'm at work at the moment, and i'd have to dig through my stack of mags to find it. if you don't mind waiting, i'm sure i could help you out...
  3. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    heh, all you have to do is sign on the dotted line...
  4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

heck, i dunno....something like, notation is so much see? no rhythm, no dynamics...nuthin' but numbers...bleh
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i can't believe i tabbed something out....can you tell i'm at work or what? :rolleyes:
  6. ironman5766

Jul 1, 2001
    Maybe it didnt sound good because you didnt tune down half a step, thats the way GnR plays it.
  7. Good line that...also one of the first things I learnt to play :)
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmm...i'm pretty sure that tune is in standard tuning...
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Use you ears. I've heard it many times, but never played it.

I just sat down and played it from memory, bas(s)ed:)p) on having heard it before, and had it down in less than 2 minutes. Cued up the song on the CD, and I was dead on.
  10. I'm a bit scared of trying to pick that line up because it's so high up. The only things I've picked up are way lower.
    I don't really tune a half step down, ever. I don't see the point of tuning a half step down. Maybe it's just the fact that I've never tried it, but it just seems like a lot of trouble for not all that big a gain.
    Thanks neptoon, I'll try that one.
  11. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    No... Ironman is rigth!!!!!!! that song (as all Apetite record) is tuned half step down. :oops:
  12. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    it is 1/2 step down, and neptoon is close enough to what the tab says that you can get there with that. also what might be throwing you off is that duff is using a flanger on that song...
  13. I got it with neptoon's tab, thanks neptoon. Now I'm going to use this newfound knowledge for evil and show all guitar players that I meet that a bass line can be used as a lead line!

*evil voice on
    *evil voice off.

Oh, and thanks everyone.
  14. doesnt it annyo you how it is THE guitar shop standard. Any kid aged 12-17 will come in and the first thing they will play is "Sweet CHild O'Mine" often slowly and badly over and over. Usually on a Gibson.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why would you tune down a half-step when this part of the song is played way up on the neck? That's what frets are for!!!!!
  16. You know, Angus has a point there. I'm not sure but I think there's not one note in the song that has to be played on an open string.
  17. did you check the guitarist's parts or rest of the bassline?
  18. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Really? It's "Smells like Teen Spirit" round these parts, so much so that my local music shop banned it! (can ya blame 'em?)

Reminds of that scene in Wayne's World II...

"Dude, what the Hell are you doing?!"

*points to sign*

19. Hootz

Jul 1, 2001
    Hull, England
    Er... I could have sworn that I got my tab from the EXCELLENT tab archives right here on but then I haven't looked at any G & R tabs recently... it's got to be said that this is my first stop for bass tabs...

Keep up the good work, everyone who contributes
  20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I was only talking about the intro relman. All of it can just be played a fret down.