The Irony or the "Fieldy" thread; and a word about GAS.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingus, Mar 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't had internet for a while, so I came to this thread late, but there was something I wanted to say...

In this thread, a TB user stated that Kubicki's were superior to P-Basses because the P-Bass is a "one tonal piece of crap".

Then how can I tell automatically when a bassist is using a Kubicki, and I am continually surprised when I find out different tracks were recorded with a P-Bass? I mean, I haven't seen a Kubicki since, like the late '80's, while you can see P-Basses everywhere.

Listening and reading a lot about the Jazz masters of the 50's and '60's, I thought about GAS, and came to the conclusion that this is something that is unique to electric players, and something that's really come about in the last 20 years or so...
    Most of the time, URBassists, saxaphonists, pianists, pretty much have one main instrument and get steadily better at it. They talk about playing the same instrument for 20 years or so. I can't think of an electric bassist or guitarist I know (myself included, until recently) who could hold onto a single bass or guitar for half that long! :) Maybe it's advertising or something.

Oh well, fire away! :cool:

Of course, this is just idle opinion, and I could be wrong.

Dangerously close to name-calling there, fella.
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Sax on the Web

On a recent project the leader convinced me to drag my sax out and I had a lot of fun working up a couple of songs. That led me to search for a TB equivalent for sax and I found SOTW (where at least 1 TBer I recognized is pretty active).

You wanna talk about GAS? They've got vintage vs. new discussions. They've got the "are imports pro instruments" discussion. And where basses have strings saxes have reeds, mouthpieces and ligatures. I guess it's SAS instead of GAS but it's all there.

And they cost a lot more. I'd love to have a baritone sax but we are talking thousands of dollars for a student model. And new pro models are in the thousands as well (for the "big names").

I'm still playing my student model tenor from high school (~24 years ago) but it's showing it's age and I wouldn't mind a better horn . . .
  3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I guess it is all relative to what you know.

It seems that there IS a world outside of this one after all.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what that bright yellow ball in the sky is? It hurts my eyes when I look at it.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    First off, I think it would be fairer to contact a member individually with a beef than slinging mud in public...

It's natural that sax players and pianists don't have the same kind of GAS. All of theirinstruments look the same overall, whereas there are hundreds of different bass designs and new ones hitting the market every year, built with different components and materials. We simply have more options.

How can you tell a Kubicki from a P-bass on a recording? You can't. ask the average listener to hear a track played on a Fender and one played on a Sadowsky and differentiate the two and the listener probably won't be able to do it. All instruments can have their signal manipulated to sound a certain way when recorded. Different bass designs are made for the benefit of the player, not the listener.
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:eek: :eek: :eek: Ahhhhhhhhh..... the Day Star !!!!!!!!!!!!

6. day star...very funny guys... :smug:

I guess maybe because I don't hang with those people as much, I just don't hear it. Plus I read about people like Ron Carter who are playing the same bass they have for 40 years, and people like that. Hell, look at Jaco: he played that bass for almost 20 years, and it was a stock Jazz he bought for 90 dollars.

But hey, consider the source: you see my gear below, I wouldn't change a thing about it, except for getting a '57 or '51 P reissue, a looping delay and a green Big Muff. I guess I'm just easy to please, as are my mates. :D

BTW Blackbird, take a pill, eh? It's all in good fun. That's what smileys are for! :)
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As I see it, and from what I've read, the electric bass is still an "instrument in development."

No one has arrived at a design yet that blows the others away........and it may never do so....who knows ???

Moreover, the frequency range of an electric bass is a nightmare for amp/speaker designers.

I guess all aspects of bass design require "rocket scientists."
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love it when people say a certain bass (usually a single pup such as a P or a Ray) is a "one trick pony". That's so silly. If you have to flick a switch or change a knob to get a different tone out of a bass, then you are a "one trick player". :smug:
  9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    This is not true. He played many many basses that looked the same. I beleive ive seen a website devoted to it through talkbass once or twice. Im not claiming to be a big jaco fan, but i have heard that he played quite a few basses. He did have one main one but as do most basses.
  10. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    steve harris-- many years, several finishes, one bass.
  11. I think craigb already touched on this, but by saying that saxes and the like "look the same overall", you're demonstrating your ignorance on the subject (not necessarily a bad thing). I'm not a pianist, but i did play oboe and sax in high school, so I know that wind players gas just as hard as us bassists here. I know that there really are more different looking bass designs, because bass is a much more popular instrument than sax, but all saxes only look to the same overall to non saxists, and sax players often own many different saxes for the some of the same reasons some people own many basses, so saxes and basses are not that different after all. :)

edit: I forgot to add that though there are only about a dozen reputable oboe makers in the world, the reeds are the constant variation that an oboist has to deal with. Most oboists make their own reeds, because you just cant buy a decent reeds. This means buying knives, sharpening stones, staples, cane, thread, and other stuff to make the reeds. Of course there's a lot of debate over the equipment and the use of it just like we debate over basses here. Also, since the cane is highly variable, in general you'll get several "bad" and "average" reeds before you get a "good" one. yeah
  12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    And lets not even think about mouthpieces..... One specific line within a brand may have a dozen variations. It's like buying a Fender Jazz where every *colour* has a seperate sound. Reeds where less of a problem since you could basically get the cheap RIcos or the higher end Ricos, but I bet in a larger city like NY or LA they would be just as bad. One of my teachers used to say you should buy 12 reeds and throw out 11!
  13. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm fairly active at SOTW too, but frankly most of my time is here and :)
  14. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which sucks when you buy $19/box Vandoren's and 50% of your tenor reeds are crappy. Haven't found a consistent brand yet, but VD's the closest.

Yes, my sax collection is nearing my bass collection soon. And clarinet, flute coming soon... :)
  15. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am a tubist, and believe me, there is TONS of g.a.s.

Its just that the g.a.s inducing tubas cost at least $7,000 which is a bit more than almost any bass out there. Needless to say, there isn't as much buying/selling/trading when the things cost that much.

That tuba costs $10,399.

That one is $8,495 (it is usually about $1k more than that, but its on sale).

That one is $9,295.

16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "Take a pill"? Why? You're the one that started this thread with a mild slam at another user (that I already edited)...
  17. Blah. Go back and read the original thread. I'm being very, very, VERY mild.

(name calling? What do you call "condescending arrogant little rich kids"? --per the original thread? I was making a (humourous, I thought) reference to this thread. Which I cited. I suggest going back and reading that thread.)
  18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fine. But I don't put up with it in Basses. OK?
  19. oh no...its the arrogant little rich kid in question......

first off.....My kubicki (2nd hand) was roughly half the price of a brand new p-bass (american series) claim that p-basses were only toneless was my way of saying that i dislike them and arent very versatile.

third...Jaco's main/origional early jazz bass (unsure of year) was stolen in the early 80's and the jazz he uses on the instructional vid was a new jazz which he beat up and used a p-bass neck on it

forth...i like the kubickis because they are something different and why follow trends and buy a p-bass where i would then have to buy another bass to do slap stuff on when i bought a kubicki which does anything great and keeps me from having to de-tune or buy a 5 string and sounds great in the process.....

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think there's something in what you say and it especially applies to DBers and Jazz pros. So I have had lessons/attended workshop with a lot of different Jazz pros and they always say to forget about the instrument and concentrate on music and making music.

So all the Jazz DB pros are basically in a position where they can't afford GAS - but anyway, they are playing gigs, teaching, practicing or travelling to these things all the time, to make ends meet.

They don't have time for internet dicussions like this or for searching out different gear - they are playing several sets a night, practicing as many hours of the day they can and filling in the rest of the time with students,workshops, schools etc.

Now - this is of course very different from your typical TB member - so from my 4 or 5 years of being on here - TBers are typically internet savvie people with an interest in bass and a day-job to provide sufficient money to allow them to buy as many basses as they want - so while the job often gets in the way of playing,the free net access allows ample reign for salivating over all the new gear that is out there!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.