1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

the itsy bitsy spider bit off my friend's left arm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jeff_bass28, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Friend of mine was bitten on the left wrist by a brown recluse last weekend.
    Right now she's in the hospital in Columbus (Ohio) with her arm split open; having it drained, dead & poisoned tissue cut out, and the bone itself scraped.
    If this doesn't work, the only thing left is to amputate most of her forearm.

2. Ouch. That sucks.I hope she gets better soon and doesn't lose anything. Is the brown recluse common in your area?

3. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Ouch. Best of luck to her. I hope she makes a full recovery.

How did she get bit, like where was the spider?

5. Where do you live again...? Just so I know never to go there.

It's bad enough I'm afraid of harmless spiders, let alone sometime that could do damage like that.

I do hope your friend gets better though, that's unfortunate.

6. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    How much time went by before she decided to seek treatment?
    *cringe*I work on my house alot and always kill ANY spider I see (cept those Daddy longleg ones).

7. Every year there are a few similar horror stories here in Florida. It seems like there isn't much that can be done except the cutting and scraping until it stops :( Best wishes for your friend, that has to be horrible.

8. Very common spider here, I have been bitten twice. I lived in a house where the worlds largest brown recluse was caught. You can tell if you have them around by looking for their skins that they leave behind like a snake. I don't know of any other household spider that sheds it's skin. When they bite, make sure they didn't leave some of their face in your wound.

9. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    That totally sucks. Best of luck to your friend. I hope it doesn't get worse and that she makes a fast recovery.

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I kill every spider I see that remotely resembles a recluse. I've had too many friends go to the hospital with their bites.

The owner of my favorite local restaurant was bitten by a recluse on her behind. They had to remove almost all of her left cheek.

My husband jokes and says that now, everything she does is half-a$$ed, but I would be horrified if that happened to me!

Cherie

11. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, I hope it works!!! Awful to contemplate losing an arm. :(

Cherie

12. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I've seen the damage a brown recluse can do before, and it is trully terrifying. I'd be interested to know how long it was before she went into treatment as well. Sorry to hear about this, I pray for a full recovery.

13. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    that is f'in funny

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Really? How did you happen to be bitten, and what effects did you have from it?

I hate spiders as it is but this thread is making me paranoid. We have a mostly finished basement, but I still get alot of spiders.

15. Don't all spiders molt?

16. 69nites

69nites

Jul 11, 2006
    Chicago
    I have been bitten on the hand by a brown recluse fortunatly I knew to suck out the venom (I used one of those things you squirt medicine into a baby's mouth) I still have a rather large scar from where the skin on my hand deteriorated

I was very very happy when it bit me tho because I had my hands on my girlfriend's sholders when it bit me. that could of been her neck (a place where a bite would be deadly)

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Back home we got a lot of spiders, and I never once found anything resembling spiders except...well, spiders. No skins or anything like it.

IIRC, taurantulas molt, though...

18. That is really unfortunate, I hope everything turns out well. How common are these brown recluses in America? How large are they?

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
  20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    About the size of a US quarter when all legs are extended.