Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "Jamerson Set?"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Sep 27, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Anybody use these Labella Strings? I have a Washburn bass that seems to do well with heavy flatwounds, and I was thinking trying these. I currently have Fender flats on it, so I would appreciate any comparisons.

I'm using TI Flats on my Precision, so I'm familiar with their qualities, and I think they're pretty cool. However, my Fender doesn't like heavy strings, and I thought I'd try something a little different on the Washburn. I think there are a few threads left on my truss rod ;) .

2. I bought the Jamerson set for my Fender '62 Precision Reissue, and although they sounded great, the tension was just too high. I couldn't get the relief down to what I wanted with the trussrod, so I reverted to TI Jazz Flats. I prefer the sound and feel of the Jamersons, but apparently my Precision can't handle them.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The work GREAT on my original '64 Precision. No problem with the neck, trussrod setup. They sound fantastic, too.

4. That's great, I'm happy for you. I wish they worked well on my bass, but they don't. I might try the lighter guage, those would probably be fine and have a similar sound.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But isn't the problem that you have to leave them on for 20 years unchanged, before they sound good? ;)

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, Bruce, it only takes a few months for them to start sounding really good :D .