Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Jamiroquai bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Impulsee, Feb 19, 2003.

1. I was just listning to :"travelling without moveing" and iv listened to the song tons of times, and i can play the kick bASS (see how cool i am at covering up swera words) bass line. But tonight i was listning to it, and just thinking "that bass sounds so good, what is it" does anyone have any idea what kinda bass he uses. does anyone have pictures of him/her. maby even..pictures of hima nd his bass??~?? thanx

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    ok buddy, listen to me:

his name is STU ZENDER! (not "that JK bassist")

and second, he plays mostly WARWICK basses...

so now you know, do a search and find TONS of info here

3. what kinda warwick lol

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Just to let you know, Stu is no longer with Jamiroquai. Like Dave said, there is a ton of info here about him. However, you may want to check out http://www.bassmaster.co.uk/, too.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He had several custom models - but they were mostly based on the Streamer Stage - neck-through.

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  7. This one
    [​IMG]

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    i have noticed live there is 2 bass players on stage. i know in a film clip of his there only one and he was playing warwick. the new guys play a spector and something i couldnt recognise.
    Luke

9. Bruce Lindfield

Nick Fyffe has been mostly playing a new Yamaha TRB5P - these are great basses - I've tried couple in shops!

But of course he didn't play on "Travellin' without Moving" which was what the question was about - that was Zender!

I'm not sure what you mean about 2 bass players on stage? At once! :confused:

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmmm.

Was one of the bass players playing a 6 string (EADGBE), tuned an octave up?

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :D
    Nick went from an MM5, to a Zon, played a Warwick for a quick minute, and then went exclusively with Yamaha.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I think he made the right choice - those new TRB5Ps and TRB6Ps are the best new production line basses I've tried in many years - much better necks than any Warwicks I've tried!!

Laurence Cottle in the UK is also using one and getting a great sound. I was very tempted but wanted an EUB or DB next. ;)

13. just got this from an ad on the back page of bass guitar magazine
    nick fyffe from jamiroquai playing a yamaha TRB-5PJJB

EDIT: Bruce, around what price do these things retail for?

14. Bruce Lindfield

I think they were a bit over £2,000 in the London shops - but can't remember exactly as I tried a 6 -string as well as a 5 - but they were both over £2k.

15. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Hi
    well they were both playing fingerstyle and there was a guy playing a strat style guitar so call me crazy, or whatever u want.

Lukas

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :eek:

And here was me thinking maybe I should check this bass out!

17. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    check this one

this is a new pic and it doesnt look like a trb at all

18. Bruce Lindfield

Those look like old photos to me - and they are very careful to hide the headstock - but it's probably the Zon that Woodchuck mentioned - he's definitely playing and endorsing a TRB5P now!

19. Bruce Lindfield

Here's a quote from the UK "Guitarist" magazine interview with Nick Fyffe :

"Nick, I believe you've had quite a shake-up with your gear...
    Nick: "Well I've really scaled down on my gear. After much chopping and changing, I'm now using Yamaha basses, much to my own surprise. It's funny, I've tried out so much gear since joining the band but never Yamaha. They sent some basses to the studio where we were making the album and it was producer Rick Pope who said to give them a go. I tried one that I wasn't too amazed with, but then I played this TRB 5P and loved it. I recorded a track with it that night and everyone loved the sound of it. It just felt right and I've been using it on the whole tour. Nice, round, punchy, warm sound, and really comfortable to play. The weight's good too, because 5-strings are usually very heavy. "

20. Bruce Lindfield