The Jazz Spot, Bed-Stuy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, May 12, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Heads up and, hopefully, the beginnings of a successful smear campaign in this jazz crime.

I just took a gig with a jazz violinist at this place, although I'd sworn never to play again there. I have my reasons (friends, family, another fiddle, etc.) My original discontent with the place was because, after an long night there once with Manny Duran, they presented the octogenarian trumpter with a $25 bill for his Diet Coke binge over the course of the $50 Saturday night gig. Full price for the band. That's $5 per skinny glass of DC for those of you that don't want to do the math.

It seems they've upped the bets since the last time I was there, and now the deal is that the band plays, on a Friday night in this case, for 70% of the door.

A word to the wise.
  2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm going back to NYC in early june to check out some shows. That place is no cover right?!? :D
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Give them a buzz when you get here, and instead of asking who's playing ask them what the band is making. Respond to the answer accordingly.
  4. Is this that uncommon in NYC? FWIW, the last time I had a gig at a certain well-known place in Paris, we got 50% of the door.

Just wondering...
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yes, it's uncommon. It's considered unabashed thievery here.
  6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    :crying: Man, now I really miss the old Smalls.........
  7. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

Just looked at the web site. Nice logo. Makes me think they should call it "The Jazz Stain".
    BTW, is it common practice to bring your own bass to a jam session?
  8. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Not sure about NYC, but it's not in Dallas, Philly or Los Angeles. I suppose you could if you wanted to, but why lug around DB if you don't have to? OTOH, when I sit on on a bass with really high action I get that "little boy playing a man's bass" feeling. For BG, it is more common to bring your own.
  9. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Poor Manny Duran. I did these gigs in NY with a succubus named **** ******* (email or PM me if you want the actual name, and run from her, bassists, if she calls) who also hired him and she joked to me that she didn't pay him because he would come to the gig even if he thought there was no bread (and there was, in fact, bread). After I collected my jaw from the ground, the waiter came over and handed me $300 for "the band" (a trio + Manny), my jaw dropped again as I told the pianist what our $20-per-man gig actually paid, and I left the place with this chick cursing me for demanding a living wage. Oh, NYC...
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm torn between thinking of this thread as a public service announcement, and thinking of a message such as this as an ticking time bomb. I'll run it by the other mods and see what they think. My own experience is that while the place sounds pretty sleazy by what's posted in this thread, our world is getting smaller and smaller because of the magic window. Just this morning I ran into a guitar player I used to play with but hadn't seen in a helluva long time at the mechanic's place where we both get our cars serviced. Guess what he told me? "Hey man, I saw a buncha your posts at this website called 'Talkbass'...what a great site"!

Point is, Paul doesn't need trouble from people yelling SLANDER! (and believe me, it wouldn't be the first time :rolleyes: ), so it's his call. Oh, and I edited the last post for the same reason - so that the name of the succubus in question will need to be requested personally from JOJOBA, who I trust would be all too happy to supply it to those with enquiring minds. :)
  11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Well, lessee.

I started this thread because it's both a) Lame and, b) True. No slander there. I don't know if that'll help ease the concern or not. Sam would be the one to ask, bein' the legal beagle sort.

Johono, I would be interested in the name that you asterisked. -- we all gotta stick together against these sorts...
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ray - so far, the limited talk in the Moditorium is that your post is fine, and serves as a public service announcement and warning against a club with shady hiring practices. If I hadn't been doing the moderator thing long enough to have dealt with a flood of angry emails filling my inbox over stuff like this, I wouldn't have even worried about it. If it turns out that the other mods think that reposting the name of the succubus is also okay, I'll do that, too. I'm just trying to cover my @$$, since I hate the whole "inbox full of **ssed off people" thing really gets old. Sorry for the intrusion. :)
  13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    No intrusion at all. I considered the slandering possibilities inherent in my post, but came to the conclusion that the facts are the facts (ma'am) and that putting up the info as a PSA, as I mean it, would pass muster.

I didn't mean to cause any grief, so apologies if I have.
  14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This "Spot" happens to be in my neighborhood and I can see them pulling that 70% deal and the thing with the diet cokes. I've been there on a Monday night for the Jazz Jam and they seemed to want to squeeze as much cash out who ever is there. Charging the performer $25 for an amount of diet coke that's way less than 2 liters is sad, especially when they probably by the 2 liter for a $1.50 or less.

Yo, what's the name of the succubus? Say here or email it to me.

It would be a shame to censor topics of this nature because people have a right to know what's going on and sometimes what's going on isn't always good. Forums like these are a perfect vehicle for moving the the evil doers down the road of goodness.
  15. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm not involved with the booking of the gig at all, so no names to share.
  16. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

they presented the octogenarian trumpter with a $25 bill for his Diet Coke binge
    Coldest thing I've heard in a long time... Some owners are cool but some are @#$%^&*