Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Jazz Theory Book," by Mark Levine: $60. Realizing just how little I know...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    is probably just about the best thing that ever happened to me! I cracked it open at the store and looked at the chapter names, and thought I had the first four or five down cold and could fake my way through the first 12 if I needed to.

Boy was I wrong.

I was golden for the first chapter -- basic theory. Major scale, modes, basic chords. Then...bam. It's so much information! I mean, jeezums jippity crow. And it's FILLED with examples! Seriously guys, this is a GREAT book. I'd reccomend getting your grade 2 rudiments and some basic chord theory/harmony stuff before getting into this one (I don't think I would've been ready for this book if I hadn't) but it's seriously a wealth of information. It's into modal jazz and reharmonization by the third chapter!

PS: The shop marked it up a bunch, and I don't even care. GREAT book.

2. Yeah man that book will knock your socks off well worth the $60.00

3. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I only paid 40 for my copy last year. In fact - isn't the $40 price printed right on the cover?

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yep. They blacked it out with a sharpie. I didn't notice until I was at lunch just over an hour later. At my next lesson (monday, my one this week was cancelled) I'm going to ask them exactly what they thought they were doing.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree, great stuff.
    I guess $40 US = $60 Canadian?

6. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Gah, I don't even remember what mine was marked as in CDN, but it says $40 right on the cover. So $60 seems right.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    40USD = 49.6792CAD

Also, note that I paid sixty for it. My mom tossed in ten bucks herself :p. So in total, the cost was actually $70CAD. Even after adding taxes to $49.68CAD, it should've only cost $57CAD. Instead they tacked on another $10. I mean, I personally paid only a couple bucks more than cover price, but that's still seriously uncool that they would mark it up that much.

Also keep in mind that I get a 5% discount on books there. Any non-student of the store would have to spend another 5%. Not much, but...still, uncool.

8. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Yep, you got hosed.

9. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Well . . .it happens. I just got hosed on a set of TI Flats. I paid bassguitarstrings.us over $70.00!! and then found them elswehere for just over $50.00

DOH!!! :crying: Buyer beware.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Dude, that's superhosed. I got mine for $50CAD flat, no shipping/taxes.

11. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Ohohohoh, where? I was just looking at some TI JF threads today. :)

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Local dealer. He doesn't charge me taxes, 'cause I go there all the time and spend a lot of money in there. That was before the price hike, so it's another $5 (TI did a 10% price hike sometime in 04.)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    $38 shipped at Amazon.com. Living in America does have its perks. :D

14. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    ditto ;) 5-9 business days :hyper:

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Amazon.ca does exist, ya know ;).

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, but $38 is like, $247.50 Canadian.

17. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I have a feeling this thread is heading for the lobby... ;)

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    $47 actually. But...close. REEEEEEEEAL close ;). I'm sure that two is just a slip of the finger!

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    All meant in good fun, mate.