1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The 'Joe Vegas' $250 212 Super Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-b-b-bass, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    All I'd take away from this is that it sounds as good as the usual suspects, which is no surprise when you know that there's nothing all that special about the usual suspects.

JRA likes this.
  2. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Dayton makes some respectable stuff

If you look at the specs its right there with some of the mid grade Eminence drivers for less $$$. Those 10" and 12" drivers that dip down in the mid 40 hz range and have Xmax of 5.0 for 40-60 bucks looks like a great buy!

JRA, BassikBrad and b-b-b-bass like this.
  3. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Back in 2014 I was intrigued with all the Fearful hype. So built one according to the plans & was
    very disappointed. Discovered the Dayton PA310, liked the specs. & the price. With nothing to lose I got
    two & cut a new baffle & mounted them in the exact same cabinet, without the poor quality 6.5" mid or the
    tweeter. Wow, what a difference, it was the sound I was looking for, tight punchy, great low extension,
    articulate mids & good harmonic content, plus it played loud with only a 500w amp, all for a third of the price!
    It's been pumping out high volume now for nearly four years without exceeding the Xmax & doesn't fart out.

I apologize if this offends any doom mongers or naysayers who spent a lot of money on their cabs, 'not that
    there's anything wrong with that'.

Photos of cabs & the Frequency response plot below that shows how much better the response is compared to
    most other woofers out there, including the $300 a piece Faitals in the cabinet on the left.
    Blue plot line is the PA310 & the red line is the Faital, same settings.
    I would be happy to share more details.

_DSC1805.JPG _DSC1794.JPG

4. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    BassikBrad - I don't really want to build a Fearful, but I would like to know the volume and tuning of the box you show there.

I must say, that rig is obviously all business and no BS. Guys who run Labgruppen amps tend to be no-nonsense types. :cool:

b-b-b-bass and Rock Salad like this.
  5. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Yeah, thats me all over....... cut the crap, no BS & no nonsense :cool: ......do like a good joke tho'.
    I'll PM you later.

b-b-b-bass likes this.
  6. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Im interested too. Is it just a fearful 12/12/6 cab, but with only the dayton 12s on the baffle?
    And Arkham, good choices.

7. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i tend to encourage experimentation (and taking risks) even though i know (as a cabinet builder) some things just don't/won't work...but when they do = it's crazy, fun, and usually a money saver!

there are a lot of folks here who just don't want to believe that a good amp/cab combination can happen by luck. and of course 'informed luck' is even better.

glad it worked out! :thumbsup:

joe vegas and BassikBrad like this.
  8. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    No, it was the 12/6 cab with tweeter. So same cab volume but with just the two PA310's,however have recently
    blocked off the ports, which actually sounds better. I then modeled that config. & a smaller sealed 2cuft size cab
    & indeed the smaller cab gave similar results.The real life performance is better than what the modeling indicates.

boamedt likes this.
  9. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Wow 2 of those twelves fit in a 12/6 box? Then u used a smaller one?

10. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    I made the original box taller but not so wide & deep, same volume. I like a small footprint,
    uses up less real estate & get better horizontal dispersion with vertical line array. See above photo.

boamedt and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    That's the pitfall of modeling. It can tell you a lot, but it doesn't tell you how you want the speaker to sound. If a speaker doesn't sound the way you want, then you have to figure out what to do differently.

b-b-b-bass, BassikBrad and petrus61 like this.
  12. BassikBrad

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    Absolutely, never a truer word....

fdeck likes this.
  13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My own preference is that I don't want a "flat down to 40 Hz" speaker. I started measuring the response of cabs that I could lay my hands on, and also made some educated guesses about commercial cabs on the market. Eventually I had to make my best guess as to what kind of response I wanted, then I was ready to buy a driver and cut plywood.

Some of my thought process is described in my little 12" speaker design article. I'm not promoting that design as the be-all and end-all, but just to show a way of thinking about this stuff.

Note that I still used modeling, but with a more refined idea of what I wanted the model to look like.

joe vegas and b-b-b-bass like this.